GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"gamecube - is it what its cracked up to be?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/08/02 at 22:24
Regular
i own an xbox and this pos**t is coming from a neutral point of view.

I'm not one to insult things which i do not own or wish to own.

Nor am i biased in any way, shape or form.

But this is an exception, "the gamecube is sh*t".

I'm sorry to the loyal nintendo fans but there is no other word for it.

I mean cum on, u only have to look at it to know that it's rubbish.
The specs of the machine are the wors**t of the three next gen consoles.
The games are aimed towards 5 year olds, apart from a few, namely perfect dark zero.

And the thing itself would be better at being a six sided dice used for board games than a computer, if u ripped the handle off and drew a few dots on each side then it would be perfect as one of them big dice used at nurseries.

One other thing the colour, purple, it sums the whole thing up really.

nuff said.
Sun 01/09/02 at 20:17
Regular
savatt1668 wrote:
> KIREBA wrote:
> I think that X
> Box live will either make or break the console and the evidence is
> pointing towards it being the latter.
>
> Hows that then ? Just because Sega didn't succeed doesn't mean
> Microsoft can't. Theres a lot of difference when it comes to the
> money put into the area and the support when it comes to games.

Money is not as important as third party support. The longer the X Box sales remain the lowest of the three main contenders the more likely they are to lose support. Just now developers can't really afford to make games exclusive to X Box because it has the lowest number of installed units worldwide. By March 2003 the console will have been out for at least a year in the three main regions. If its worldwide sales remain lower than the competition then it will be in serious trouble.
Sun 01/09/02 at 20:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
KIREBA wrote:
> I think that X
> Box live will either make or break the console and the evidence is
> pointing towards it being the latter.

Hows that then ? Just because Sega didn't succeed doesn't mean Microsoft can't. Theres a lot of difference when it comes to the money put into the area and the support when it comes to games.
Sun 01/09/02 at 19:49
Regular
You know for a console with such great specs I can only say that the X Box is either not really as powerful as Microsoft claims, or developers don't want to make the most of the machines features. Either way the X Box has so far failed to live up to expectations. Microsoft claimed their console would change gaming forever and that has not happened. I seem to remember that Sega claimed the Dreamcast would do the same thing and they do say that history repeats itself, so far the X Box has proven that theory to be correct. I think that X Box live will either make or break the console and the evidence is pointing towards it being the latter.
Sun 01/09/02 at 19:00
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> garbe123 wrote:
> You question his intelligence yet you have just done a stupid thing of
> rising to his level!
>
> Should it not be lowering? :P

Sorry, LOL! I was thinking of 2 sentences at once and I got mixed up :)
Sun 01/09/02 at 18:17
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Nah he's a Ninty - they start off pretty low in the first place. ;-)
Only kidding Bonzo. ;-)
Sun 01/09/02 at 18:13
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
garbe123 wrote:
> You question his intelligence yet you have just done a stupid thing of rising to his level!

Should it not be lowering? :P
Sun 01/09/02 at 18:06
Regular
Can I just ask why in the name of Nintendo did you bring this post back up to the top of the list? He doesn't even visit the forum anymore so why have you bothered? You question his intelligence yet you have just done a stupid thing of rising to his level!
Sun 01/09/02 at 17:53
Regular
az_00_uk wrote:
> i own an xbox and this pos**t is coming from a neutral point of view.
>

Ok lets see the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

> I'm not one to insult things which i do not own or wish to own.
>

Many would insult s**tuff they don't wish to own.

> Nor am i biased in any way, shape or form.
>

Saying your unbiased and being unbiased are two different things.

> But this is an exception, "the gamecube is sh*t".
>

Oh dear s**traight to it a total xbox fanboy.

> I'm sorry to the loyal nintendo fans but there is no other word for
> it.
>

Of course your words carry great weight with nintendo fans... not.

> I mean cum on, u only have to look at it to know that it's rubbish.
> The specs of the machine are the wors**t of the three next gen
> consoles.

If you really think that you are a complete and total idiot. Its that simple. If you believe the ps2 is technically better than gamecube you'd have to double your i.q. to be a moron. Its that simple. Admittingly one or two things about the ps2 might be better than gamecube but overall the gamecube massacres it technically.

Lets take a look at the specs;

GPU. There is jus**t no way the sony gpu even comes close to the artx designed chip in the gamecube. The artx chip is basically a chip used in graphics works**tations and is superb. It may not have the performance of the xbox's gpu because that runs at 233mhz where as the gamecube gpu is 162mhz. PS2 is 143mhz. However its not about speed anyway its about features. The ps2 has no hardware antialiasing or texture compression. Not only that mos**t ps2 games are rendered at 640x200 and then pixel doubled to 640x400. The gamecube renders at a true 640x480 with anti-aliasing. Features wise the artx chip is a match for the xbox gpu its jus**t slower. However unlike the xbox the gamecube gpu has 3 meg of 1t-ram memory. This is incredibly fas**t memory with a very low latency. Overall the gamecube is second only to the xbox and basically not far behind it. The sony gpu while able to render a fair amount of polygons it is fundamentally a weak design. But lets put it in perspective. Wreckless on the xbox is rendering 15 million polygons per second, rogue leader II is rendering 12 million per second on the gamecube and GT3 is rendering 6 million per second at a lower resolution and with no anti-aliasing. There is jus**t no comparision in many ways the ps2 is inferior to the dreamcas**t. Dreamcas**t had 8meg of video memory, anti-aliasing, hardware texture compression and tile based rendering that not even the xbox or gamecube has. Result is the ps2 has a poor gpu.

I could go on about how poor the spec of the ps2 is but I'm going to summarise on jus**t saying that integer performance of the ps2 is fundamentally weak. Integer performance is fundamental to the game engine itself especially a.i. The dc has 360 mips performance, the gamecube has 1125 mips performance, the xbox I don't actually know but would guess around 1400 mips. PS2 is about 300mips. Thats right for integer performance its about 300mips. Go to www.mips.com they make the embedded integer processor of the ps2. Its a mips IV series in the ps2. Even the very lates**t mips IV on a 0.13 micron core is 400mips but the ps2 is on a 0.18 micron core which is older and slower. Note integer performance isn't the same as floating point performance because the ps2 is very good for floating point.

Anyway the fact that you believe the hype that sony told you about their console without ques**tion shows what a gullible loser you are.

I have a ps2 and enjoy it but I'm not so s**tupid that I think it technically compares to xbox or gamecube. How long has the ps2 been out? Yet there is s**till no game as tehnically ambitious as shenmue on the dreamcas**t available for it. Why do you think this is? GT3 looks great but the competing cars have a.i. no better than the original PS1 GT games. FPS games are jus**t about the mos**t demanding games there is and are there any good ones on ps2? Anything like Halo? Soldier of Fortune, does it look better on dreamcas**t or ps2? Think about it.

Check out Turok Evolution on xbox, gamecube and ps2 its a very ambitious game. Take a look at the graphics, frame rates and loading times. One version has a massive amount of clipping where the scenary is only formed when you are close to it. It has missing graphics like many of the dinosaurs and even missing water in places and very long load times. Can you guess which version that is?

Lets face it the ps2 is generally a bit rubbish. The gamecube while not as good as the xbox is pretty damn close on many levels.

> The games are aimed towards 5 year olds, apart from a few, namely
> perfect dark zero.
>
> And the thing itself would be better at being a six sided dice used
> for board games than a computer, if u ripped the handle off and drew a
> few dots on each side then it would be perfect as one of them big dice
> used at nurseries.
>
> One other thing the colour, purple, it sums the whole thing up
> really.
>
> nuff said.
Thu 22/08/02 at 19:09
Regular
az_00_uk wrote:
> Thanks Mantis for showing some respect of my views.

All I saw was a biased fanboy portraying nothing but what he believed to be fact, and no opinions or views were apparent.

> As for u Strafex, i think you'll find that my spelling and grammar are
> perfect apart from the slang words which have been used(this is the
> internet u know!!).

I am fully aware that we're on the interenet, but usually people act civil and use proper and readable English during a post. And as for your 'perfect spelling', what about that spelling of grammer?

> And as for me being a nonse, how could i be when i am, according to u a 5
> year old, or at least i have a "little head ", obviously referring to me
> being a young person. U probably dont even know what a nonse is do ya, u > pathetic hypocrit.

That made me laugh. YOU calling SOMEONE ELSE a hypocrit. Just read your original post.

> For your information a nonse is someone that likes children in a
> paedophilic way, so dont go around using words that u have no
> recognition of, Mr. big and grown-up.

Where do you get off calling Strafex 'Mr. Big'? Hmm...

> By the way, your spelling is of a poor standard, i hasten to add.

Typos shouldn't be picked up on, it's just childish. Strafex was merely pointing out that a more 'readable' post would be preferred.

> So dont go and shout your big mouths off at me just because im given a
> view of something.

I haven't seen any views. Just statements.

> If u hadn't noticed this forum isn't owned by u, it is shared by a
> community.

Yes, a community that people prefer to keep civil.

> Thanks for listening.

Erm.. reading, thanks for reading.
Thu 22/08/02 at 19:02
Regular
az_00_uk wrote:
> i own an xbox and this pos**t is coming from a neutral point of view.

At this point I'm thinking "A nice impartial topic coming up. Oh how happy I feel."

> I'm not one to insult things which i do not own or wish to own.

Now I'm thinking "Good man. One of the nicer newbies."

> Nor am i biased in any way, shape or form.

Brilliant, let's see then...

> But this is an exception, "the gamecube is sh*t".

Uh oh, my thoughts have been shattered. You are a complete hypocrit. The pos**t is coming from someone who doesn't own a GameCube, and is basically an anti-Nintendo fanboy. You ARE one to insult things you do not own and you ARE biased in any way, shape or form as you have jus**t proven with that blatently untrue opinion.

> I'm sorry to the loyal nintendo fans but there is no other word for
> it.

Erm.. yes there is. How about, 'In my opinion, I don't particuarly like the GameCube as it's games/developers don't appeal to me'.

> I mean cum on, u only have to look at it to know that it's rubbish.
> The specs of the machine are the wors**t of the three next gen
> consoles.

Have you even done your homework? The GameCube easily betters the PS2 and Dreamcas**t, and, when pushed to it's limits, the GameCube has been proven to match the X-Box, with neither coming out the victor in terms of specs.

> The games are aimed towards 5 year olds, apart from a few, namely
> perfect dark zero.

If this is truly what you think, then you either have a very narrow minded look at games, or you're so ignorant as to not have even given any of them a chance. Nintendo aims their games at EVERYONE, which I think is a great thing. Also, they are now continuing to produce their family games, but also making more adult orientated material, to please everyone. There are no more childish games on the GameCube than there are on the X-Box or PS2.

> And the thing itself would be better at being a six sided dice used
> for board games than a computer, if u ripped the handle off and drew a
> few dots on each side then it would be perfect as one of them big dice
> used at nurseries.

This is jus**t a poor insult, and I won't give a proper answer as there is no argument in it all - much like the res**t of the pos**t.

> One other thing the colour, purple, it sums the whole thing up
> really.

Or black, or soon, one of six colours. I could jus**t as easily say the X-Box is rubbish because it's heavy, bulky and large, but it's not. Appearance isn't everything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.