GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why "I" Bought an XBOX"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/08/02 at 12:42
Regular
Okay, I don't really know why I'm writing this, but I just thought I'd give a quick overview out-lining the major reasons why "I" bought an XBOX.

-Reason 1:
My favourite SEGA games are on it - viz. Jet Set Radio (Future), Crazy Taxi (High Roller) and the Shenmue series. These three XBOX exclusives had a major influence on drawing me in. Add to these the other SEGA XBOX exclusives such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Toejam & Earl III and House of the Dead 3, and I couldn't resist.

-Reason 2:
PC-style games. My PC is about as powerful as David Beckham's hairdryer, so the XBOX gives me the opportunity to play many PC games which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Games such as Morrowind, Doom III, Grand Prix 4, Thief 3, Myst III, etc. And the best console versions of these games will be the XBOX versions. In fact, most of the PC ports I want are XBOX console exclusive.

-Reason 3:
The hard-drive. Ripping my favourite tunes over certain games is a cool and underestimated thing. For me, it improves Project Gotham Racing by about 25% (a game I wouldn't normally be that interested in). Add to this the new and original styles of gameplay that games' developers are claiming the XBOX hard-drive will allow them to create - such as the time-warping gameplay of BLiNX and the accumulative intricate detail of Project Ego - and it all makes for another strong reason to opt for XBOX.

-Reason 4:
I like the controller. Yes, you heard right - I like the controller. The solid Dreamcast-style shoulder triggers are essential for drivin' games. The analogue sticks are nicely spread apart (unlike the PS2 controller). It's heavy, and I'm a firm believer that the bigger the controller, the bigger the games you're playing feel on the screen.

-Reason 5:
XBOX Live. Even though I'm not really a fan of 32-player death-match frag-fests, taking part in stuff like massive online RPGs is very appealing. I probably won't be in the melting-pot from the off-set, but I'm sure I'll be signing up sooner rather than later.

Reason 6:
I like the name. Trivial I know, but XBOX is a cool name for a console. The "X" encapsulates the radical - as in X-rated, the X-Games, Generation X, the X-Files - (stop sniggering at the back). - Bah, you know what I mean! :)

-Reason 7:
Fresh vibes. With a new gaming mascot character on it's way - BLiNX, and with an epic franchise already blossoming - HALO, and with an RPG which promises revolutionary gameplay and a gameworld of visual deliciousness - Project Ego, the whole XBOX vibe feels fresh and right for me. Add to this 150 games due out before Christmas and I'm more than happy - (though I must say that the current games drought is a bit of a p!sser, but it's the same for all the consoles I think.)

Anyway, that's why "I" bought an XBOX.

Why did you buy one? - (persuming of course that you did/have.)

~Nomad wanders off in search of a drink~
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:02
Regular
Yes, great minds think alike. We are obviously all kings, living gods walking the Earth, supreme overlords beyond good & evil....

Sorry, that drink has obviously gone to my head.
Mon 19/08/02 at 13:25
Regular
Nomad Soul wrote:
> -Reason 1:
> My favourite SEGA games are on it - viz. Jet Set Radio (Future), Crazy
> Taxi (High Roller) and the Shenmue series. These three XBOX exclusives
> had a major influence on drawing me in. Add to these the other SEGA
> XBOX exclusives such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Toejam & Earl III and
> House of the Dead 3, and I couldn't resist.

Yeah, same here, i love the Sega games and alot of them are coming out on XBOX.

> -Reason 2:
> PC-style games. My PC is about as powerful as David Beckham's
> hairdryer,

ROFL!

> so the XBOX gives me the opportunity to play many PC games
> which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Games such as Morrowind,
> Doom III, Grand Prix 4, Thief 3, Myst III, etc. And the best console
> versions of these games will be the XBOX versions. In fact, most of
> the PC ports I want are XBOX console exclusive.

Yeah, thats kinda good, but some console games coming out on xbox are'nt out on PC, making it a varied variety of games.

> -Reason 3:
> The hard-drive. Ripping my favourite tunes over certain games is a
> cool and underestimated thing. For me, it improves Project Gotham
> Racing by about 25% (a game I wouldn't normally be that interested
> in). Add to this the new and original styles of gameplay that games'
> developers are claiming the XBOX hard-drive will allow them to create
> - such as the time-warping gameplay of BLiNX and the accumulative
> intricate detail of Project Ego - and it all makes for another strong
> reason to opt for XBOX.

Yup true.

> -Reason 4:
> I like the controller. Yes, you heard right - I like the controller.
> The solid Dreamcast-style shoulder triggers are essential for drivin'
> games. The analogue sticks are nicely spread apart (unlike the PS2
> controller). It's heavy, and I'm a firm believer that the bigger the
> controller, the bigger the games you're playing feel on the screen.

I love the controller aswell, i find no uncomfatability with it and buttons are easy to reach.

> -Reason 5:
> XBOX Live. Even though I'm not really a fan of 32-player death-match
> frag-fests, taking part in stuff like massive online RPGs is very
> appealing. I probably won't be in the melting-pot from the off-set,
> but I'm sure I'll be signing up sooner rather than later.

I've signed up for the Beta test, i probs won't get entered but i will probably get it around christmas (if it comes out that time) I love frag-fests so Unreal Championship is gonna be huge!

> Reason 6:
> I like the name. Trivial I know, but XBOX is a cool name for a
> console. The "X" encapsulates the radical - as in X-rated,
> the X-Games, Generation X, the X-Files - (stop sniggering at the
> back). - Bah, you know what I mean! :)

*Snigger* lol. Yeah the name is origanal, Unlike PS2, the Xbox and Gamecube names are origanal in the console market (although i'm not a gamecube fan myself)

> -Reason 7:
> Fresh vibes. With a new gaming mascot character on it's way - BLiNX,
> and with an epic franchise already blossoming - HALO, and with an RPG
> which promises revolutionary gameplay and a gameworld of visual
> deliciousness - Project Ego, the whole XBOX vibe feels fresh and right
> for me. Add to this 150 games due out before Christmas and I'm more
> than happy - (though I must say that the current games drought is a
> bit of a p!sser, but it's the same for all the consoles I think.)

Yup, we've got quite a few class games coming out and huge rpg's.

Same reasons as you mostly, Excellent Line up of games, Xbox Live, Hard drive, Dolby Digital, Excellent Graphics.
Mon 19/08/02 at 13:23
Regular
I bought one for pretty much the same reasons as you.

Great minds think alike, eh?

:-D
Mon 19/08/02 at 12:42
Regular
Okay, I don't really know why I'm writing this, but I just thought I'd give a quick overview out-lining the major reasons why "I" bought an XBOX.

-Reason 1:
My favourite SEGA games are on it - viz. Jet Set Radio (Future), Crazy Taxi (High Roller) and the Shenmue series. These three XBOX exclusives had a major influence on drawing me in. Add to these the other SEGA XBOX exclusives such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Toejam & Earl III and House of the Dead 3, and I couldn't resist.

-Reason 2:
PC-style games. My PC is about as powerful as David Beckham's hairdryer, so the XBOX gives me the opportunity to play many PC games which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Games such as Morrowind, Doom III, Grand Prix 4, Thief 3, Myst III, etc. And the best console versions of these games will be the XBOX versions. In fact, most of the PC ports I want are XBOX console exclusive.

-Reason 3:
The hard-drive. Ripping my favourite tunes over certain games is a cool and underestimated thing. For me, it improves Project Gotham Racing by about 25% (a game I wouldn't normally be that interested in). Add to this the new and original styles of gameplay that games' developers are claiming the XBOX hard-drive will allow them to create - such as the time-warping gameplay of BLiNX and the accumulative intricate detail of Project Ego - and it all makes for another strong reason to opt for XBOX.

-Reason 4:
I like the controller. Yes, you heard right - I like the controller. The solid Dreamcast-style shoulder triggers are essential for drivin' games. The analogue sticks are nicely spread apart (unlike the PS2 controller). It's heavy, and I'm a firm believer that the bigger the controller, the bigger the games you're playing feel on the screen.

-Reason 5:
XBOX Live. Even though I'm not really a fan of 32-player death-match frag-fests, taking part in stuff like massive online RPGs is very appealing. I probably won't be in the melting-pot from the off-set, but I'm sure I'll be signing up sooner rather than later.

Reason 6:
I like the name. Trivial I know, but XBOX is a cool name for a console. The "X" encapsulates the radical - as in X-rated, the X-Games, Generation X, the X-Files - (stop sniggering at the back). - Bah, you know what I mean! :)

-Reason 7:
Fresh vibes. With a new gaming mascot character on it's way - BLiNX, and with an epic franchise already blossoming - HALO, and with an RPG which promises revolutionary gameplay and a gameworld of visual deliciousness - Project Ego, the whole XBOX vibe feels fresh and right for me. Add to this 150 games due out before Christmas and I'm more than happy - (though I must say that the current games drought is a bit of a p!sser, but it's the same for all the consoles I think.)

Anyway, that's why "I" bought an XBOX.

~Nomad wanders off in search of a drink~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.