GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why "I" Bought an XBOX"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/08/02 at 12:42
Regular
Okay, I don't really know why I'm writing this, but I just thought I'd give a quick overview out-lining the major reasons why "I" bought an XBOX.

-Reason 1:
My favourite SEGA games are on it - viz. Jet Set Radio (Future), Crazy Taxi (High Roller) and the Shenmue series. These three XBOX exclusives had a major influence on drawing me in. Add to these the other SEGA XBOX exclusives such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Toejam & Earl III and House of the Dead 3, and I couldn't resist.

-Reason 2:
PC-style games. My PC is about as powerful as David Beckham's hairdryer, so the XBOX gives me the opportunity to play many PC games which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Games such as Morrowind, Doom III, Grand Prix 4, Thief 3, Myst III, etc. And the best console versions of these games will be the XBOX versions. In fact, most of the PC ports I want are XBOX console exclusive.

-Reason 3:
The hard-drive. Ripping my favourite tunes over certain games is a cool and underestimated thing. For me, it improves Project Gotham Racing by about 25% (a game I wouldn't normally be that interested in). Add to this the new and original styles of gameplay that games' developers are claiming the XBOX hard-drive will allow them to create - such as the time-warping gameplay of BLiNX and the accumulative intricate detail of Project Ego - and it all makes for another strong reason to opt for XBOX.

-Reason 4:
I like the controller. Yes, you heard right - I like the controller. The solid Dreamcast-style shoulder triggers are essential for drivin' games. The analogue sticks are nicely spread apart (unlike the PS2 controller). It's heavy, and I'm a firm believer that the bigger the controller, the bigger the games you're playing feel on the screen.

-Reason 5:
XBOX Live. Even though I'm not really a fan of 32-player death-match frag-fests, taking part in stuff like massive online RPGs is very appealing. I probably won't be in the melting-pot from the off-set, but I'm sure I'll be signing up sooner rather than later.

Reason 6:
I like the name. Trivial I know, but XBOX is a cool name for a console. The "X" encapsulates the radical - as in X-rated, the X-Games, Generation X, the X-Files - (stop sniggering at the back). - Bah, you know what I mean! :)

-Reason 7:
Fresh vibes. With a new gaming mascot character on it's way - BLiNX, and with an epic franchise already blossoming - HALO, and with an RPG which promises revolutionary gameplay and a gameworld of visual deliciousness - Project Ego, the whole XBOX vibe feels fresh and right for me. Add to this 150 games due out before Christmas and I'm more than happy - (though I must say that the current games drought is a bit of a p!sser, but it's the same for all the consoles I think.)

Anyway, that's why "I" bought an XBOX.

Why did you buy one? - (persuming of course that you did/have.)

~Nomad wanders off in search of a drink~
Mon 19/08/02 at 12:42
Regular
Okay, I don't really know why I'm writing this, but I just thought I'd give a quick overview out-lining the major reasons why "I" bought an XBOX.

-Reason 1:
My favourite SEGA games are on it - viz. Jet Set Radio (Future), Crazy Taxi (High Roller) and the Shenmue series. These three XBOX exclusives had a major influence on drawing me in. Add to these the other SEGA XBOX exclusives such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Toejam & Earl III and House of the Dead 3, and I couldn't resist.

-Reason 2:
PC-style games. My PC is about as powerful as David Beckham's hairdryer, so the XBOX gives me the opportunity to play many PC games which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Games such as Morrowind, Doom III, Grand Prix 4, Thief 3, Myst III, etc. And the best console versions of these games will be the XBOX versions. In fact, most of the PC ports I want are XBOX console exclusive.

-Reason 3:
The hard-drive. Ripping my favourite tunes over certain games is a cool and underestimated thing. For me, it improves Project Gotham Racing by about 25% (a game I wouldn't normally be that interested in). Add to this the new and original styles of gameplay that games' developers are claiming the XBOX hard-drive will allow them to create - such as the time-warping gameplay of BLiNX and the accumulative intricate detail of Project Ego - and it all makes for another strong reason to opt for XBOX.

-Reason 4:
I like the controller. Yes, you heard right - I like the controller. The solid Dreamcast-style shoulder triggers are essential for drivin' games. The analogue sticks are nicely spread apart (unlike the PS2 controller). It's heavy, and I'm a firm believer that the bigger the controller, the bigger the games you're playing feel on the screen.

-Reason 5:
XBOX Live. Even though I'm not really a fan of 32-player death-match frag-fests, taking part in stuff like massive online RPGs is very appealing. I probably won't be in the melting-pot from the off-set, but I'm sure I'll be signing up sooner rather than later.

Reason 6:
I like the name. Trivial I know, but XBOX is a cool name for a console. The "X" encapsulates the radical - as in X-rated, the X-Games, Generation X, the X-Files - (stop sniggering at the back). - Bah, you know what I mean! :)

-Reason 7:
Fresh vibes. With a new gaming mascot character on it's way - BLiNX, and with an epic franchise already blossoming - HALO, and with an RPG which promises revolutionary gameplay and a gameworld of visual deliciousness - Project Ego, the whole XBOX vibe feels fresh and right for me. Add to this 150 games due out before Christmas and I'm more than happy - (though I must say that the current games drought is a bit of a p!sser, but it's the same for all the consoles I think.)

Anyway, that's why "I" bought an XBOX.

~Nomad wanders off in search of a drink~
Mon 19/08/02 at 13:23
Regular
I bought one for pretty much the same reasons as you.

Great minds think alike, eh?

:-D
Mon 19/08/02 at 13:25
Regular
Nomad Soul wrote:
> -Reason 1:
> My favourite SEGA games are on it - viz. Jet Set Radio (Future), Crazy
> Taxi (High Roller) and the Shenmue series. These three XBOX exclusives
> had a major influence on drawing me in. Add to these the other SEGA
> XBOX exclusives such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Toejam & Earl III and
> House of the Dead 3, and I couldn't resist.

Yeah, same here, i love the Sega games and alot of them are coming out on XBOX.

> -Reason 2:
> PC-style games. My PC is about as powerful as David Beckham's
> hairdryer,

ROFL!

> so the XBOX gives me the opportunity to play many PC games
> which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Games such as Morrowind,
> Doom III, Grand Prix 4, Thief 3, Myst III, etc. And the best console
> versions of these games will be the XBOX versions. In fact, most of
> the PC ports I want are XBOX console exclusive.

Yeah, thats kinda good, but some console games coming out on xbox are'nt out on PC, making it a varied variety of games.

> -Reason 3:
> The hard-drive. Ripping my favourite tunes over certain games is a
> cool and underestimated thing. For me, it improves Project Gotham
> Racing by about 25% (a game I wouldn't normally be that interested
> in). Add to this the new and original styles of gameplay that games'
> developers are claiming the XBOX hard-drive will allow them to create
> - such as the time-warping gameplay of BLiNX and the accumulative
> intricate detail of Project Ego - and it all makes for another strong
> reason to opt for XBOX.

Yup true.

> -Reason 4:
> I like the controller. Yes, you heard right - I like the controller.
> The solid Dreamcast-style shoulder triggers are essential for drivin'
> games. The analogue sticks are nicely spread apart (unlike the PS2
> controller). It's heavy, and I'm a firm believer that the bigger the
> controller, the bigger the games you're playing feel on the screen.

I love the controller aswell, i find no uncomfatability with it and buttons are easy to reach.

> -Reason 5:
> XBOX Live. Even though I'm not really a fan of 32-player death-match
> frag-fests, taking part in stuff like massive online RPGs is very
> appealing. I probably won't be in the melting-pot from the off-set,
> but I'm sure I'll be signing up sooner rather than later.

I've signed up for the Beta test, i probs won't get entered but i will probably get it around christmas (if it comes out that time) I love frag-fests so Unreal Championship is gonna be huge!

> Reason 6:
> I like the name. Trivial I know, but XBOX is a cool name for a
> console. The "X" encapsulates the radical - as in X-rated,
> the X-Games, Generation X, the X-Files - (stop sniggering at the
> back). - Bah, you know what I mean! :)

*Snigger* lol. Yeah the name is origanal, Unlike PS2, the Xbox and Gamecube names are origanal in the console market (although i'm not a gamecube fan myself)

> -Reason 7:
> Fresh vibes. With a new gaming mascot character on it's way - BLiNX,
> and with an epic franchise already blossoming - HALO, and with an RPG
> which promises revolutionary gameplay and a gameworld of visual
> deliciousness - Project Ego, the whole XBOX vibe feels fresh and right
> for me. Add to this 150 games due out before Christmas and I'm more
> than happy - (though I must say that the current games drought is a
> bit of a p!sser, but it's the same for all the consoles I think.)

Yup, we've got quite a few class games coming out and huge rpg's.

Same reasons as you mostly, Excellent Line up of games, Xbox Live, Hard drive, Dolby Digital, Excellent Graphics.
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:02
Regular
Yes, great minds think alike. We are obviously all kings, living gods walking the Earth, supreme overlords beyond good & evil....

Sorry, that drink has obviously gone to my head.
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:09
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Heres my reasons for buying an X-Box...

Games like Halo, DOA3 and PGR. From here I bought X-Box magazines and saw more and more games that I really wanted to play on the console.

The potential of the hardware. The uses of the hard drive along with Microsoft's online plans make for an exciting future when it comes to game development. Project Ego and Blinx are good examples of what the X-Box can bring.

X-Box Live. I love online gaming and this console (in my opinion) has the best online plans of the 3 consoles.

Despite what others think, I like the controller - particularly for FPS games. I had no problem getting into Halo. Plus the smaller alternative controller looks pretty good too and I really want to get a few of them in the near future.

The fact that a company like Microsoft is behind the console shows that it has a big bank balance to help its developement and what game licenses it can get.

The multiplayer games possible. Besides the usual 4 player games, the link cable and X-Box Live offer very large multiplayer games such as 30 player Unreal Championship, 16 player Halo. If your playing something like a capture the flag game, its always better to have something like 8 players a side or more than 2 players a side.
Mon 19/08/02 at 19:56
Regular
Interesting.
On a smaller note (or perhaps a bigger note): from what I've read, most XBOX owners are looking forward with great anticipation to Blinx & Project Ego - I hope these two games live-up to our expectations.... I'm sure they will.
But you know what it's like when we build/hype games up too much.... they have a tendency to disappoint.
Mon 19/08/02 at 21:07
Regular
By the way, Crazy Taxi is multi-format and Shenmue is rumoured to be headed for GameCube.
Mon 19/08/02 at 21:36
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Crazy Taxi 3 is exclusive to X-Box. Shenmue might be rumoured but its best to wait till its confirmed before getting too excited. Wouldn't be surprised though as Sega have a few titles going multiformat.
Tue 20/08/02 at 02:52
Regular
Shenmue was a massive dissapointment for me, it was incredibly dull and more linear than your average FPS. The plot wasn't compelling, the game involed you walking around asking exactly the same question to everyone you meet until you find the answer, then you walk around all over again asking a new question. The combat was decent but there wasn't much of it. The quick time button things were pointless because if you failed you just did it again from the start, and they didn't change. Apart from a few characters everyone had *the* most irritating voices. The whole getting a job thing sounded promising, but turned out you could only get one job and you were forced to get it. Not to mention the fact that you just did exactly the same thing over and over again, which was boring.

The only plus side was the graphics, it was a nice 'expirence' if you will. Although after a couple of hours I'd just had enough. Alhtough I did see it through to the end. The actual world wasn't done very well, and Ive played games with much more realistic enviroments. For example, there are about 30 houses in the first village, and yet not one single person was ever at home, no matter what time you checked. There was one home with someone in, who just tells you to come back tommorow, so I did, and he just said it again.

I for one am not bothered at all on missing out on Shenmue 3 and onwards.

As for whoever said they were looking forward to Myst 3, can I take you along to the PC Gamer forums? I'm sure everyone there would be facsinated at the chance to 'study' someone who liked these games ;)
Tue 20/08/02 at 09:34
Regular
I liked Shenmue, but I did think it was a bit slow-moving. Shenmue II was better - there was more diversity in location, it was bigger, and there were more interesting things to do.

On Myst III: I really liked Riven (the 2nd game in the Myst series) - I thought the puzzles where the best I've ever come across in a game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.