GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What PC should i get?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/08/02 at 18:16
Regular
I'm on the look out for a PC.My main use would be playing games and using the internet for SR/ online gaming. I will have a budget of 700 quid.

My spec's would be:

loads of memory
fast modem
could play the lastest games
3D graphics card
Good speakers

As for screem i'm not too bothered as long as it's sharp and it you can see the action on the screen clearly.

I you've got a PC or thinking of getting one then could you please tell me any information you've found.
Mon 19/08/02 at 10:49
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Thegerrid wrote:
> But... 700 squids isn't going to get you that much these days, and
> you're going to have to settle for a deal. Most probably a 1.4Ghz with
> 128MB of RAM and a Geforce 2/Geforce 4 MX. Don't expect a great PC for
> £700.

naaa... 700quid is plenty... if you look around, there are reputable dealers offering 2Gig desktops with 15inch flatscreen montors, 256MB RAM 80Gig HDD, etc... for around 499.99

Which leaves you 200quid to upgrade the graphics card to a 64/128MB GeForce4?
Mon 19/08/02 at 10:39
Regular
Get the fastest CPU you can afford.
Get plenty of Ram fitted (nothing less than 256Mb)
All hard discs should now be big enough to cope, so the standard drive should be fine.
A good graphics card.
A sound system - i would personally not spend much on this if money is tight.
Most PC's now come with a 56k modem.
100Base ethernet card would be nice as well.
A 15inch CRT screen should be good enough - don't spend loads on a giant screen if you don't need it.
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:46
Regular
"bit of a brain"
PC world could be good on your budget
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:28
Regular
"A man with a stick"
If your going to be using your PC mainly for gaming, you'll want one with a decent sized monitor as a 15inch screen is just too small. It may add to the price though.
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:26
Regular
"I confused?"
Do you know if Pc world any good?
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:21
Regular
"bit of a brain"
But... 700 squids isn't going to get you that much these days, and you're going to have to settle for a deal. Most probably a 1.4Ghz with 128MB of RAM and a Geforce 2/Geforce 4 MX. Don't expect a great PC for £700.
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:19
Regular
"bit of a brain"
evesham.com do nice pcs
you can customise really great pcs at buyanicepc.com too
you most probably want an athlon XP 2100+, with 256/512MB of RAm, A Geforce 4 Ti4400 and a 40GB HDD. Creative make good sound cards. I think Evesham should be the first stop.
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:16
Regular
"I confused?"
I'm on the look out for a PC.My main use would be playing games and using the internet for SR/ online gaming. I will have a budget of 700 quid.

My spec's would be:

loads of memory
fast modem
could play the lastest games
3D graphics card
Good speakers

As for screem i'm not too bothered as long as it's sharp and it you can see the action on the screen clearly.

I you've got a PC or thinking of getting one then could you please tell me any information you've found.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.