GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Philosophy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/08/02 at 12:16
Regular
I've been thinking, there couldn't be much of a point to continuing our lives with new medicine and technology because the sun WILL die out in 3 billion years (if we haven't already killed ourselves by then) I know that is a long time but there is no way of avoiding the end of the world then, and we can't move to a new planet because light speed travel is apparently impossible, and even light speed would be too slow anyway, it would still take years to reach even the nearest star so Earth is screwed and everything anybody does is pointless because they will eventually die and so will everybody after them and it will get to the point when no-one is there to come after. Does anybody agree with me, and yes, i know how long 3 billion years is but its an unavoidable fact that life on this planet, and every planet, is limited and our "rent money" only covers us until then.
Thu 05/09/02 at 01:31
Regular
A good way to live life is by one simple quote:

"its not the years in your life that counts, its the life in your years."

meaning: live your life while its still around, live everyday how you want.
if you live to be 90 and have not done anything that you had planned to it will be to late. You should feel you've passed away with no regrets.
Wed 04/09/02 at 20:15
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Ah but the thing is, time will, only slow down to the people aboard and not to the entire universe meaning that it may only seem like a few hours to them, but to the rest of the world it could be decades

example - the nearest other star to earth is 4.3 light years away, so at the speed of light it would still take 4.3 years to get there.

so if u travelled there at 99% of light speed it would take just over 4.3 years even though it would seem less to the people on the ship, but it wouldn't be to anyone else.
Tue 03/09/02 at 20:27
Regular
Philosophy : BEER, IT'S A HOLIDAY IN A GLASS!
Sun 01/09/02 at 22:42
Light speed travel may be impossible, but i reckon that we'll be able to travel at around 99% of it in less than 3 billon years. And as time slows down the closer you get to light speed it would seem to only take a few hours to get to the nearest solar system, leaving the astronauts plenty of time to set up colonies and stuff before dying.

So cheer up. Mankind has a chance after all.
Sun 01/09/02 at 21:22
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
History has shown that, as a whole, the human race as a whole survives intact. Whenever a point is reached where destruction or extinction is likely something happens to prevent of avert it. In a short space of time we've come from cavement to the society we see today.

Sure, it isn't a perfect world, but it won't ever be.

Technology is advancing amazingly fast and we're seeing the start of a new scientific revolution - research driven by profit and betterment, instead of war. Our fastest growing industries on the planet are now biotech firms and still IT firms. We're going after a cure for cancer, we're trying to stop AIDS and HIV, we're finding ways of communicating faster and to more remote places and in different ways. Countries are reaching out, maybe partly driven by desire of wealth, to help other less fortunate countries. The Balkans, Afghanistan, Iraq, Malaysia, Taiwan, North Korea, countless Russian republics, all have assistance from powerful countries to help them reach a state at which they can guarantee security for themselves.

It's hard to believe I know, but gradually most of the human race is seeing that wars aren;t all the profitable. We'll still need to be able to fight in the future and now, we'll get scared along the way as well - like what's happening now with terrorism and Iraq, you can't expect much from a lot of people when they're scared - but we'll get there.

3 billion years from now ? Who say's we'll need the Sun, or if we will have moved on to another place. Whatever the answer, humanity will survive, we're rather flipping good at it you see !

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 01/09/02 at 12:07
"possibly impossible"
There are many things that seemed impossible to humankind in the past that are now possible. Why shouldn't faster-than-light travel be one of them?

Besides, who knows where we will be tomorrow, let alone in some far flung future. And as for our own importance, we are the most intelligent species in the known universe at present, but with intelligence comes great responsibility, and obviously the ability to create new forms of destruction as well as construction. This is the natural way of the world, although it is a careful balance that is currently teetering towards the destructive side.

Yet, we have many opportunities and new discoveries will change the way we live and think in the next millenia, so relax, we are not done for yet.
Sat 31/08/02 at 21:52
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Protoss wrote:

Were still driven by that instinct to
> survive.

It amazes me the will, of instinct.
Sun 18/08/02 at 16:23
Regular
i mean quadruple post, damned stupid internet
Sun 18/08/02 at 16:22
Regular
sorry about the double post. I'm not trying to increase my word count..... :o)
Sun 18/08/02 at 16:21
Regular
pessimists are the happiest people alive. 90% of the time they are right, 10% of the time they are pleasantly surprised.

If things are so bad, how have we got this far? Paedophiles are a tiny percentage of the population, as are murderers, psychopaths etc.

The real problem it seems is pessimism. To think that we are beyond help is not only wrong, but could be the problem itself. If everyone thinks like you, we would all top ourselves now and have done with it.

Fortunately there are people with high IQs and the mental stability to succeed. These are the people sitting in labs around the world, trying hard to devise new methods for people like me and you, to survive. So start talking and acting positive, because if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem..........

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.