GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Happy-go-lucky Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/08/02 at 08:59
Regular
With every day that passes I find myself tiring of serious games.
Games which seem obsessed with recreating every nuance of realism in both graphics and gameplay.
Games which, if it wasn't for violence and destruction, wouldn't know which way to turn.

Instead I'm finding myself being drawn more and more to games which are fresh and colourful, and which are driven by an altogether lighter motif.

I mean, just how many virtual baddies have you clinically dispatched into the videogame afterlife during your gaming history? - Thousands? Millions?
And just how many gratuatous in-game methods of dispatchment have you utilized?

In asking such ludicrous questions I'm beginning to think that I'm going through some kind of mid-gaming-life-crisis or something, but I can't deny that when I think of my top 10 favourite games, most of them feature very little realism and violence, if none at all.

Most of my favourite titles are non-serious and high-spirited - they are vibrant games - happy games - with gameworlds that are overflowing with life wherein jovial characters abound.

These days I'd rather collect sparkling golden stars and listen to the jingling PINGiness of their precious attainment than roam through a grim facility armed with a sawn-off shotgun in search of another hapless victim.
Blowing away virtual enemies who usually have about as much intelligence as a relative of Roy of the Rovers is becoming tedious and predictable.

My eyes and ears crave rainbows of dynamic colour and the melodies of golden bells - the visual and audio equivalent of a flashing-lights slot machine jammed on payout.

Is "happy-go-lucky" the right word, the right phrase?
Kind of.
But exuberant, cheerful, flamboyant, rollicking, ebullient, frolicsome, charismatic, swashbuckling, jovial, effervescent, quirky, mirthful, larksome, extravagant, merry, sparkling, gambolsome, buoyant, hearty, zestful, jestful, sunny, spritely, enchanting, vivacious, gladsome, jaunty, radiant, jubilant, fun-loving - all point in the general direction.

-Don't look at my finger, look where my finger is pointing.-

Anyway, in short: the over-use of realism and violence is going that way, and I'm going the other way: towards the hi-jinx, emerald & blue, sparkling-gemstone-collecting lands of happy-go-lucky games.
Thus BLiNX, Toejam & Earl, Malice and Crazy Taxi: High Roller are all firmly at the top of my shopping list, and perhaps even Mario Sunshine and Zelda. :o

What are your current game-style preferences? And do they change?
Mon 19/08/02 at 09:06
Regular
½pint wrote:
> Real = Bad
> Fantasy = Good

I think we agree on this.
Realism is only necessary in sports games - where the more realistic the graphics and gameplay the better.
But apart from that, I'd choose fantasy (especially fantasy gameplay) every time.

If a game developer makes unrealism their starting-point, there's a better chance that the game might have some originality - and that's something we all want.
Sun 18/08/02 at 10:28
Regular
"¬_¬"
Real = Bad
Fantasy = Good

That's a fact.
Sun 18/08/02 at 08:59
Regular
With every day that passes I find myself tiring of serious games.
Games which seem obsessed with recreating every nuance of realism in both graphics and gameplay.
Games which, if it wasn't for violence and destruction, wouldn't know which way to turn.

Instead I'm finding myself being drawn more and more to games which are fresh and colourful, and which are driven by an altogether lighter motif.

I mean, just how many virtual baddies have you clinically dispatched into the videogame afterlife during your gaming history? - Thousands? Millions?
And just how many gratuatous in-game methods of dispatchment have you utilized?

In asking such ludicrous questions I'm beginning to think that I'm going through some kind of mid-gaming-life-crisis or something, but I can't deny that when I think of my top 10 favourite games, most of them feature very little realism and violence, if none at all.

Most of my favourite titles are non-serious and high-spirited - they are vibrant games - happy games - with gameworlds that are overflowing with life wherein jovial characters abound.

These days I'd rather collect sparkling golden stars and listen to the jingling PINGiness of their precious attainment than roam through a grim facility armed with a sawn-off shotgun in search of another hapless victim.
Blowing away virtual enemies who usually have about as much intelligence as a relative of Roy of the Rovers is becoming tedious and predictable.

My eyes and ears crave rainbows of dynamic colour and the melodies of golden bells - the visual and audio equivalent of a flashing-lights slot machine jammed on payout.

Is "happy-go-lucky" the right word, the right phrase?
Kind of.
But exuberant, cheerful, flamboyant, rollicking, ebullient, frolicsome, charismatic, swashbuckling, jovial, effervescent, quirky, mirthful, larksome, extravagant, merry, sparkling, gambolsome, buoyant, hearty, zestful, jestful, sunny, spritely, enchanting, vivacious, gladsome, jaunty, radiant, jubilant, fun-loving - all point in the general direction.

-Don't look at my finger, look where my finger is pointing.-

Anyway, in short: the over-use of realism and violence is going that way, and I'm going the other way: towards the hi-jinx, emerald & blue, sparkling-gemstone-collecting lands of happy-go-lucky games.
Thus BLiNX, Toejam & Earl, Malice and Crazy Taxi: High Roller are all firmly at the top of my shopping list, and perhaps even Mario Sunshine and Zelda. :o

What are your current game-style preferences? And do they change?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.