GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Happy-go-lucky Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/08/02 at 08:59
Regular
With every day that passes I find myself tiring of serious games.
Games which seem obsessed with recreating every nuance of realism in both graphics and gameplay.
Games which, if it wasn't for violence and destruction, wouldn't know which way to turn.

Instead I'm finding myself being drawn more and more to games which are fresh and colourful, and which are driven by an altogether lighter motif.

I mean, just how many virtual baddies have you clinically dispatched into the videogame afterlife during your gaming history? - Thousands? Millions?
And just how many gratuatous in-game methods of dispatchment have you utilized?

In asking such ludicrous questions I'm beginning to think that I'm going through some kind of mid-gaming-life-crisis or something, but I can't deny that when I think of my top 10 favourite games, most of them feature very little realism and violence, if none at all.

Most of my favourite titles are non-serious and high-spirited - they are vibrant games - happy games - with gameworlds that are overflowing with life wherein jovial characters abound.

These days I'd rather collect sparkling golden stars and listen to the jingling PINGiness of their precious attainment than roam through a grim facility armed with a sawn-off shotgun in search of another hapless victim.
Blowing away virtual enemies who usually have about as much intelligence as a relative of Roy of the Rovers is becoming tedious and predictable.

My eyes and ears crave rainbows of dynamic colour and the melodies of golden bells - the visual and audio equivalent of a flashing-lights slot machine jammed on payout.

Is "happy-go-lucky" the right word, the right phrase?
Kind of.
But exuberant, cheerful, flamboyant, rollicking, ebullient, frolicsome, charismatic, swashbuckling, jovial, effervescent, quirky, mirthful, larksome, extravagant, merry, sparkling, gambolsome, buoyant, hearty, zestful, jestful, sunny, spritely, enchanting, vivacious, gladsome, jaunty, radiant, jubilant, fun-loving - all point in the general direction.

-Don't look at my finger, look where my finger is pointing.-

Anyway, in short: the over-use of realism and violence is going that way, and I'm going the other way: towards the hi-jinx, emerald & blue, sparkling-gemstone-collecting lands of happy-go-lucky games.
Thus BLiNX, Toejam & Earl, Malice and Crazy Taxi: High Roller are all firmly at the top of my shopping list, and perhaps even Mario Sunshine and Zelda. :o

What are your current game-style preferences? And do they change?
Sun 18/08/02 at 08:59
Regular
With every day that passes I find myself tiring of serious games.
Games which seem obsessed with recreating every nuance of realism in both graphics and gameplay.
Games which, if it wasn't for violence and destruction, wouldn't know which way to turn.

Instead I'm finding myself being drawn more and more to games which are fresh and colourful, and which are driven by an altogether lighter motif.

I mean, just how many virtual baddies have you clinically dispatched into the videogame afterlife during your gaming history? - Thousands? Millions?
And just how many gratuatous in-game methods of dispatchment have you utilized?

In asking such ludicrous questions I'm beginning to think that I'm going through some kind of mid-gaming-life-crisis or something, but I can't deny that when I think of my top 10 favourite games, most of them feature very little realism and violence, if none at all.

Most of my favourite titles are non-serious and high-spirited - they are vibrant games - happy games - with gameworlds that are overflowing with life wherein jovial characters abound.

These days I'd rather collect sparkling golden stars and listen to the jingling PINGiness of their precious attainment than roam through a grim facility armed with a sawn-off shotgun in search of another hapless victim.
Blowing away virtual enemies who usually have about as much intelligence as a relative of Roy of the Rovers is becoming tedious and predictable.

My eyes and ears crave rainbows of dynamic colour and the melodies of golden bells - the visual and audio equivalent of a flashing-lights slot machine jammed on payout.

Is "happy-go-lucky" the right word, the right phrase?
Kind of.
But exuberant, cheerful, flamboyant, rollicking, ebullient, frolicsome, charismatic, swashbuckling, jovial, effervescent, quirky, mirthful, larksome, extravagant, merry, sparkling, gambolsome, buoyant, hearty, zestful, jestful, sunny, spritely, enchanting, vivacious, gladsome, jaunty, radiant, jubilant, fun-loving - all point in the general direction.

-Don't look at my finger, look where my finger is pointing.-

Anyway, in short: the over-use of realism and violence is going that way, and I'm going the other way: towards the hi-jinx, emerald & blue, sparkling-gemstone-collecting lands of happy-go-lucky games.
Thus BLiNX, Toejam & Earl, Malice and Crazy Taxi: High Roller are all firmly at the top of my shopping list, and perhaps even Mario Sunshine and Zelda. :o

What are your current game-style preferences? And do they change?
Sun 18/08/02 at 10:28
Regular
"¬_¬"
Real = Bad
Fantasy = Good

That's a fact.
Mon 19/08/02 at 09:06
Regular
½pint wrote:
> Real = Bad
> Fantasy = Good

I think we agree on this.
Realism is only necessary in sports games - where the more realistic the graphics and gameplay the better.
But apart from that, I'd choose fantasy (especially fantasy gameplay) every time.

If a game developer makes unrealism their starting-point, there's a better chance that the game might have some originality - and that's something we all want.
Mon 19/08/02 at 13:02
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I'm not a real fan of the fantasy genre myself, but I do get your point.

But still, even fantasy games have some realism in them like how the characters move and talk. They all count!

Serious games like Hitman are the kind I go for because the realism adds more of an experience to the game.
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:56
Regular
PoSh KiD wrote:
> Serious games like Hitman are the kind I go for because the realism
> adds more of an experience to the game.

I DO like serious/realistic games - I'm looking forward to playing Hitman 2, etc. It's just that, at the end of the day, I prefer fantasy graphics and fantasy gameplay.
Mon 19/08/02 at 16:04
Regular
I love realistic and unrealistic games. Take oddworld for example, thats fantasy but fun.
Mon 19/08/02 at 16:26
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> I love realistic and unrealistic games. Take oddworld for example,
> thats fantasy but fun.

I completed Oddworld for the 2nd time a few days ago. Good game.
I'm trying to write a review at the moment, but because the game is so wacky, I'm having trouble describing the darn thing.
Tue 20/08/02 at 09:12
Regular
Nomad Soul wrote:
> What are your current game-style preferences? And do they change?

To be honest, I've not played a game in months. I think I've reached the point where I'm just looking for something extra special, something truly different and unique. A type of game that I can really say, 'I've never played anything like that before.' How long must I wait?
Tue 20/08/02 at 09:28
Regular
333 wrote:
> I think I've reached the point where I'm just looking for something extra special,
> something truly different and unique. A type of game that I can really
> say, 'I've never played anything like that before.' How long must I
> wait?

If you read about the time-warping gameplay of BLiNX (the soon-to-be-released mascot game on XBOX), I think you might discover the kind of new and original game you're searching for. Maybe??
Tue 20/08/02 at 20:03
Regular
Hmmm...

I find it all about change.
After playing mostly serious games, I find myself wanting light hearted ones.
With 5 Gamecube games all being light hearted (except possibly Rogue Leader), I'm now looking forward to the more serious likes of Turok.

After playing through Turok, Resi and Timesplitters, I'll be eagerly awaiting Mario Sunshine.

I want the best of all worlds! :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.