GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"9/11... 5 years ago ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/09/06 at 22:53
Regular
The World Trade Centre towers were attacked and destroyed ... 2000+ people lost their lives ... workers, traders, firemen, policemen and not forgetting the passengers on the planes and also in the attack on the pentagon. On an average day up to 50,000 people were working in the towers, fortunately it was so early in the day most people were not at work yet.

Everyone says that if you were alive when the Kennedy assassination took place, you remember where you were when you heard the news ...

9/11 is the same in that way ... I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard ... Opening a bank account in Bamber Bridge near my house when I got a text off my friend Ben to say a plane had hit the towers. Thought it was just an accident, but upon returning to work in Leyland, Radio 1 had up to the minute coverage as the second plane hit. Then the towers collapsed and I was dying to return home to see it first hand on TV, couldn't really believe it.

I think I and all my friends were completely in shock about it all ... even watching it all again this week in the dedication programs shown, it's hard to take in. Such unimaginable destruction and loss of life. Surely the shock event of my lifetime, or I certainly hope so ...

We'll all be telling the story to our children one day of where we were when it happened ... so do you remember where you were and what you were doing?
Wed 04/04/07 at 20:28
Regular
"Mooching around"
Hmm, I (think) the reason you remember is something to do with flash memory or something. Because the memory is associated with such an emotional reaction its a "stronger" memory.

But then my attendance for psychology was 33% this term.

Anyway, I was in year 7 at the time, and I was completely unaffected by it, no family to lose out their, and possibly too young to comprehend the 'horror' people spoke of. So I don't remember what I was doing, we played football that day... And I think that's where I heard the news. My friend, Nick, he had family there and I think he showed me the news.
Tue 03/04/07 at 22:12
Regular
One of the 'reasons' for the attack that came out some time later was that Bin Laden had been watching buildings destroyed by American bombings in Afghanistan. He wanted to put it on America's doorstep, show them what it was like to have it happening to you.

Obviously the guy's a ****-muncher, and nobody's going to listen to his point because they all view him as a lowlife scumbag.

But since it all happened - London too - it has changed my view of the civilian impact of going to war in other countries.
(I was still rather detached from the whole thing though.)

Ironic of course that Bin Laden's big point propogated two massive wars in the Middle East.

pb wrote:
> Well, it isn't really religion as such, just a few fanatics with
> their own agenda brainwashing people and abusing their holy book
> by twisting it. The stupid thing is that both sides are doing
> it in the name of their chosen religion and both religions have
> a strict peace policy, not to mention that they're both
> technically the same religion at root.

I don't know. I think this is the problem - they genuinely believe all that horse****. Maybe at a subconscious level it's just people believing what they want to believe, but at a conscious level people believe strongly enough to go commit suicide bombings.

I'd wager that even the ringleaders believe in what they're doing. When a predominantly Christian world oppresses a predominantly Muslim world, I think it's inevitable that some people will take the view that 'God' would support them in resisting.

If it was all just movie-style mentalist supervillains manipulating idiots the whole thing would probably be much easier to clear up.

We could just send in Batman.

When I heard was the summer after my first year at uni. I was working in a petrol station. I switched on the news in the morning before I went to work - unusual because I was normally rushing around to get in on time.

Later in the day some girl I knew at the time phoned me to talk about it.
I was surprised because we were 'friends', meaning she saw me as a friend and was quite passive about it (her making an effort to get in touch with me was kind of unusual), and I wanted to get in her pants.

Needless to say I never did.
And yes, I was a bit of a loser.

Every anniversary of the thing also reminds me of how long it's been since those days. I feel old.
Tue 03/04/07 at 18:58
Regular
When it was on the news, I just wanted to switch over and watch pokemon.
Tue 03/04/07 at 17:25
Regular
I was at school at the time, in Year 7; I remember hearing about it on the journey home from the Year 11 I got a lift from and not recognising the significance of it at all.

I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of the World Trade Centre before 9-11, yet, in the aftermath the poignancy of exactly what had happened came through to me and since then I've come to have a far greater understanding of what exactly took place.
Tue 03/04/07 at 17:22
Regular
"Lets Rock n Roll"
i still remember the day pretty well, i was 16 yrs old at the time and i had just moved to new zealand with my family and we had only been in our new appartment a couple of days, i remember waking up going to the kitchen and turning the television on, first thing i saw were clips of it all happening on a news channel, for a moment i thought i was watching a film! i couldnt believe it! i remember goin into wellington city that day and hearing everyone talkin about.
Thu 14/09/06 at 01:06
Regular
I was at home, I can't remember well perhaps I just woke up and turned on the TV. I was quite shocked, I pretty much had all the TVs in the house on one news channel.

There does seem to be a lot of programs this year about it. Unfortunately I've missed most of them. I was telling Kawada earlier that there was one on today called 9/11 Liars. About people profiting from faking insurance claims :/

There was another program about how those made rich by the compensations have had their lives ruined again. Making them millionniares probably wasnt the best solution.
Wed 13/09/06 at 21:35
Regular
"Mooching around"
I don't really remember... I think I was out with my friend, we went back to his house, and I suppose that's when I first saw it. I was 11 at the time, so I couldn't really grasp the full nature of what had happened.

I don't know anyone hit by it, and there is no one in my family that was directly affected by it, so I never seemed to bother about it. I've only just seen the planes hitting the buildings a few days ago.

It's starting to hit deep now though. Especially the sickening images of people falling from the building. A horrific event for all Americans, and almost all countries around the world.
Mon 11/09/06 at 09:14
"possibly impossible"
Borat §agdiyev wrote:
> Yeah well I agree with you on that ... it has got sensationalised
> far too much ... all the hype surrounding it, it's just silly.
> And yeah it may prompt them to have another go. But then again
> you can't brush it under the carpet ...

I agree that you can't forget it, as with any other event in history such as this. It's the whole media saturation I can't stand.

But is it all in the name of
> religion? I just don't know ... certainly the people flying
> those planes believed they were going to a better place. Makes
> me sad ... you only get one life, try and enjoy it, because
> there's nothing after it ... so I believe anyway ...

Well, it isn't really religion as such, just a few fanatics with their own agenda brainwashing people and abusing their holy book by twisting it. The stupid thing is that both sides are doing it in the name of their chosen religion and both religions have a strict peace policy, not to mention that they're both technically the same religion at root.
Mon 11/09/06 at 08:51
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I was in Dover on holiday at the time. Me and a mate had just been to Canterbury and were returning to Dover when it came on the radio.

We went back to the hotel to see what had happened and saw the 2nd plane hit and were also watching when the news came through that the Pentagon had been hit as well.
Mon 11/09/06 at 00:17
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I'd had a job interview the day before and was exhausted. Woke up quite late on the Tuesday, just after 2pm, turned the tv and just thought it was a fire in a skyscraper. Didn't get what the fuss was about. Then they showed the video footage from the ground and it was just a "..." moment. Unimaginable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.