GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BROAD BAND : what are you prepared to pay?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/08/02 at 16:28
Regular
Hi,
I am a 64k ISDN serfer ,which was sold to me at the time as a fast broad band service.Which it is not.And one day I hope to make the leap and go 512k, giving me lag free gaming. But what is holding me back is the price. £29.99 is far too much for me personally and I just heard that people abroad are getting it much cheaper.Some say that they only pay £14.99 for the broad band service .At tops, I wont ever pay more than 20 pound for the service. If it ever goes that low that is.
Thu 15/08/02 at 09:06
Skribble wrote:
> If its quality broadband you want paying sub £20 is not a good
> start! What you need is a service that has a few of those added
> bonuses to make your life easier (christ im begining to sound like a
> salesman). I have broadband at home and i too, like many of us, am on
> a tight budget! Plus Net do a quality sevice starting at £20.99
> a month for their basic package i currently pay £22.99 a month
> cos i have P2P extensions. Their service is great! My online ping for
> games hardly ever goes above 40! and in games like cs and Unreal
> Tournamnet this is a real advantage. I highly recomend them.....and no
> before you ask, i don`t work or them!

What is Net's URL plz tell me coz i have been waiting 4 ages to get my hands on AADSL/BROADBAND anything faster thatn my 56k. I think my modem should be in a downgraded PC it feels it cant compar e2 my Pentium4 2.4ghz chip!!!!
Sat 17/08/02 at 02:00
Regular
ive coughed up the cash def. better than my 56k.
Sat 17/08/02 at 08:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'm with Blueyonder/NTL and pay £25 a month for my 512k connection. (It's cheaper than usual because I've got cable TV too from the same people).

I've got the option of upgrading to a T1 connection for an extra £10 a month. If I look at that as only £2.50 a week for a blisteringly fast lagless internet connection, about 100 times faster than a 56k modem, then it sounds good. If I look at it as a £35 a month internet bill then I'm not so sure.

So I'm holding out until they offer a T3 connection, by which time I expect it will still only cost around £35 a month, maybe even less.

So I reckon £25 a month is my limit for now. Which to me is worth it, because I can remember the amount of time that I used to waste waiting for pages to load on a 56k connection.
Sat 17/08/02 at 22:27
you might think im just a wee bit simple, but is it true you get a 2mb line? how much?and whats ur best prices u get from 128k upwards, cos iam thinking of getting one a wee bit faster then my 56k crap line. did anyone get ntl broadband the day they gave free installation, cos i was on holiday. Boo. but it was a good holiday i have to admit.
Thu 22/08/02 at 18:01
Hello again, I have been away for a while, got married. I posted a topic like this a while ago and was told 'Pipex' was one of the better value companies. Didn't follow this up for finacial reasons (marriage) but intend to do so soon. Hope this helps. :D
Sat 24/08/02 at 14:39
Regular
".......on the attac"
Me and my housemates share a 1MB/sec Blueyonder connection which costs £35 a month.

I can't complain whatsoever, especially when I can download at up to 140k/sec.
Tue 03/09/02 at 10:22
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
i have got a 64k but i am getting broudband soon and i will only be paying £14.99. for a 256k.
Tue 03/09/02 at 15:14
"High polygon count"
I'm also with NTL, and £24.99 a month is a bargain for me. Even when I was using Freeola's dial-up, my monthly phone bill was often in excess of £50 per month - so I see it as a bargain.
Wed 04/09/02 at 19:44
Im on Telewest 1mb which costs £35 only 10 more then 512k and belive me its stonkingly fast. I downloaded ie6 in about 2minutes the otherday
Wed 04/09/02 at 19:50
Hmmm seems theres a lot of Blueyonders here :0) I bee with them since the begining about 3 years ago but longer for telephone and cable TV

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.