GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Few impressions: Mario Sunshine"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/08/02 at 12:11
Regular
Rightio, I've been playing at every available opportunity, since I took delivery of it a little under a week ago.

Typical Mario goodness. It's Mario 64 mk2. There are some really nice visual effects going on that you don't really get to appreciate in the screenshots and/or videos. The sound is equally fantastic, with Mario 'whooping' like he did, when he jumps in Mario 64. There's also remixes of Mario tunes of old to accompany the action on-screen too.

A particular favourite involves the hazy heat of Dolphino Island. As you look into the distance the screen is shimmering giving the impression of the oppresive heat on the island.

The water-pack is a fantastic asset to Mario and is considerably easier to use than Luigi's vacuum. Like Luigi's vacuum, Mario's waterpack is created by the familar Gadd Industries. It feels like the pack has been with Mario from the beginning, since it's easy to get to grips with and feels right.

From what I've seen so far, I've come across 2 different nozzles for the pack, asides from the default one. One being a hover nozzle, which allows you to navigate slightly longer jumps if need be. The other is a rocket nozzle, which can propel you to higher platforms.

The notable difference this time with the layout is that, in Mario 64, there wasn't a certain pattern you had to follow to obtain a star right? It's changed here slightly, where every time you visit the level, it's split into a 'story' for that shine sprite. It works really well.

More impressions as I go through it, but feel free to ask any questions.
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:11
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Rightio, I've been playing at every available opportunity, since I took delivery of it a little under a week ago.

Typical Mario goodness. It's Mario 64 mk2. There are some really nice visual effects going on that you don't really get to appreciate in the screenshots and/or videos. The sound is equally fantastic, with Mario 'whooping' like he did, when he jumps in Mario 64. There's also remixes of Mario tunes of old to accompany the action on-screen too.

A particular favourite involves the hazy heat of Dolphino Island. As you look into the distance the screen is shimmering giving the impression of the oppresive heat on the island.

The water-pack is a fantastic asset to Mario and is considerably easier to use than Luigi's vacuum. Like Luigi's vacuum, Mario's waterpack is created by the familar Gadd Industries. It feels like the pack has been with Mario from the beginning, since it's easy to get to grips with and feels right.

From what I've seen so far, I've come across 2 different nozzles for the pack, asides from the default one. One being a hover nozzle, which allows you to navigate slightly longer jumps if need be. The other is a rocket nozzle, which can propel you to higher platforms.

The notable difference this time with the layout is that, in Mario 64, there wasn't a certain pattern you had to follow to obtain a star right? It's changed here slightly, where every time you visit the level, it's split into a 'story' for that shine sprite. It works really well.

More impressions as I go through it, but feel free to ask any questions.
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:18
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
Right. Sounds great. Do you think i should import it when it gets released in america. see topic"Mario import.help needed."
I can't decide whether to wait or get it on import.
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:29
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im waiting for the american version, as the last time i checked, i wasnt fluent in japanese.
Mon 05/08/02 at 13:02
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Neither am I. Hasn't stifled my enjoyment of it one bit. Speech is English with Japanese subtitles. But the US version will certainly clear up what those pesky villagers are saying in the text.
Mon 05/08/02 at 13:17
Regular
Few questions, how big are the levels compared to mario 64?

Have you played on Yoshi yet and does he rule?

Would you mind if I stole your Gamecube and brought it back when i'd finished Mario Sunshine? :D
Mon 05/08/02 at 13:24
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
There's more to do and find in Sunshine compared to Mario 64. I *think* there's something in the region of 120 shines to find according to some things I've been reading up on. But the levels are quite nice, quite big. Slightly bigger than Mario 64.

I've not been able to find Yoshi yet sadly. Not that far into it yet.

Umm, yes I do mind. What would I do without my Mazza fix eh? ;)
Mon 05/08/02 at 15:20
Regular
I never really like Mario 64, but I liked originals like Super Mario Bros. 3, is it that similar to Mario 64?

Is it a level layout, or a sort of Legend Of Zelda: OOT layout?
Mon 05/08/02 at 15:27
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
It's very much based on the layout of Mario 64. You've got your village (Castle in Mario 64) with portals to the different areas.
Mon 05/08/02 at 22:54
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Lol at your tagline, Bleeders.
It's from Mario Sunshine. How funny - "Shine Get" :D
Tue 13/08/02 at 09:44
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Still addicted to this. Haven't played much else.

The feeling of obtaining that elusive 'Shine' is overwhelming. I was somewhat a little stuck on a relatively easy-ish 'Shine' on Ricco Harbour, which saw you navigating this apparatus to reach this 'Shine' and I was constantly being knocked off.

This happened to me about 6 times. I gave up. Went out. Came back. Did it first time.

It's smaller in stature than Mario 64. But there's more to do and find.

You WILL love it!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.