GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"the sims is it going to far?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/08/02 at 17:48
Regular
do you think maxis and ea games are going to far with the game "the sims" and all its expansions? and if you dont what do you think they should add.
Tue 10/09/02 at 21:04
I agree. Maxis have taken The Sims add ons just a bit to far now. The only one that I would say is worth having is Hot Date, simply because it adds a whole new area, Downtown. I know that Holiday/Vacation adds Vacation Island, but I dont really like it, to me it just doesnt seem to 'work'. Livin Large and House Party were a bit pointless because no new elements of the game were introduced, and most of the 'new' items could be downloaded anyway! Still I've brought them all! (even if they are on the expensive side)
The Sims : Unleashed, to me, just seems pointless. Pets have been available to download, almost since the original Sims was released, and that seems to be the only new feature that it wil add, but still its guaranteed to sell, so why shouldnt Maxis release it? I think this will probably be the only add-on that I dont buy.
I think that it was stupid of Maxis to cancel Simsville, it would've been a much better addition than all of these add-ons, even though it really was a whole different game.
The Sims : Online, is a good idea, but will only work if Maxis makes a really decent job of it, lets hope they do! Needless to say, I'll be buying it what ever its like!
Mon 02/09/02 at 10:07
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
i have got sims hotdate but it wont work because i need the sims but i have got xp but the sims is for windows95 and 98. because it is an expansion pack. i think they should just bring out a sims that is not a expansion pack just bring out a sims that is not an expasion pack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wed 28/08/02 at 17:10
Thank You we will try it/
Wed 28/08/02 at 15:23
I think they went to far with all the addons... and the amount they charged for each add on CD!!!

The only on I think will be really worth it is Sims Online. Now that should be worth waiting for. ;)
Wed 28/08/02 at 13:41
Regular
"A man with a stick"
chewy wrote:
> Can someone please help me? We have just downloaded houses for
> sims< but cant seam to find them whene we go to game.Can you tell
> me how to find them? We put them in objects but not there.

The reason? Houses shouldn't be put in the objects folder. Some sites don't make that clear though. Anyway, rather than download the houses into the objects file, or the downloads file, you will need to open one of the UserData files.

You could have about three of these, UserData, UserData3 ect. These are just your neighbourhoods, where your houses will be. After opening one of these files, open the Houses file and there you'll see a list of the houses, or lots in you're game. This is where you should download you're houses to.

Also check the web sites where you download these buildings from, and see if they tell you which lot these houses replace. This is so you don't download a house over one of the houses you may have created.

Hope that helps.
Wed 28/08/02 at 13:28
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Has anyone been experiencing any problems with The Sims, in terms of
> glitches?

There was a glitch in my version of the sims a few weeks back. Basically whenever you cycled through the clothes section on the create character screen, the game would go off onto windows for no reason. I didn't no what caused it or how to fix it, and if my sister wasn't such a big fan of the game, and wanted to play every day, I would have left it.

Instead though, just because my sister was pestering me about the game, I just reinstalled it. That seemed to work, and I haven't noticed any glitches after the reinstillation, but all houses and families which where previously saved, where wiped. Still it solved the problem.
Wed 28/08/02 at 10:08
Can someone please help me? We have just downloaded houses for sims< but cant seam to find them whene we go to game.Can you tell me how to find them? We put them in objects but not there.
Mon 26/08/02 at 21:50
Regular
I agree with cipro, Electronic Arts are mainly about exploiting their customers to cash in. The Sims was a fantastic game, but like most EA games it's novelty wore off quickly and the expansion packs offered little more. After a good few weeks of play it gets very boring until about a month afterwards and the expansion packs didn't present much more than a couple more hours on the game, unlike Roller Coaster Tycoon.

In RCT, it took ages for me to get bored with it, and the expansion packs kept me playing it for a few weeks afterwards. I play that regularly now, and get The Sims out occasionally. I was really looking forward to SimsVille as it looked like the next stage, but once again EA have been cowards and canned it.

Has anyone been experiencing any problems with The Sims, in terms of glitches?
Mon 26/08/02 at 20:29
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
cipro wrote:
> Cub wrote:
> I doubt I'd be playing the Sims Online any time soon as we don't
> jave
> broadband here yet so it would cost too much to play online.
>
> You don't need broadband to play it online, people here say they have
> normal 56k modems and notice no lag when playing fast paced shooters
> on the net. Though I do think EA will be charging a monthly
> subscription to play the Sims online, I wouldn't put it past them
> since means more to the developers than the actual games they sell.

I wasn't really referring to the lag time, more the cost of it. A local call here cost 5 cents a minute so it would cost a fortune to play online for any length of time. A monthly subscription on broadband would work out a lot cheaper but it's not here yet.
Sun 25/08/02 at 15:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Cub wrote:
> I think the 3D version looks quite good in the screenshots. It's a
> matter of personal preference I suppose.

The trouble with 3D engines is they can't create the same amount of detail as 2D engines. Plus there is the fact that you could end up spending more time fiddling about with the camera options than playing the actual game.

> I doubt I'd be playing the Sims Online any time soon as we don't jave
> broadband here yet so it would cost too much to play online.

You don't need broadband to play it online, people here say they have normal 56k modems and notice no lag when playing fast paced shooters on the net. Though I do think EA will be charging a monthly subscription to play the Sims online, I wouldn't put it past them since means more to the developers than the actual games they sell.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.