GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS Killer= Splinter Cell"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/08/02 at 23:47
Regular
I posted a link of some cool screenshots of Splinter Cell a while back but most people said "its crap".

Those people are idiots. :P

Heres a new link.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/365/365960p1.html

READ the writing. It EXPLAINS how this game will show MGS how its done.
Trust me, read it.

When the game arives and trurns out to be the shiz, I will point and say "told ya so".

Feel free to disagree, just remember that you WILL BE WRONG. :P
Mon 05/08/02 at 22:45
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Maverick42 wrote:
> No, you have the OPTION of doing that cipro. If you want to, you can
> barge through the door, all guns blazing. This just gives you extra
> alternatives.

Yes I know you have an option, but stealth titles such as this usually don't make it the easiest or most fun alternative. I remember in MGS that when you set off an alarm an endless army of guards charged at you until the alarms you set off stopped. That just highlighted that all out shooting wasn't the best course of action to take, and more often then not left you dead.

I'd only pay this game more attention if it got the correct balance of the stealth or action approach, but this is rarely done, and I doubt Splinter Cell will be any different in providing a fair, and fun alternative for those bored of tip toeing around guards and peeking around corners.
Mon 05/08/02 at 21:40
ahh i agree tottaly
Mon 05/08/02 at 17:35
Regular
No, you have the OPTION of doing that cipro. If you want to, you can barge through the door, all guns blazing. This just gives you extra alternatives.
Mon 05/08/02 at 16:54
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Mantis wrote:
> In MGS, when snake goes through a door, he opens it and struts through
> like his arnie or something. In Splinter Cell, you have the option of
> *peeking* through the door by opening it just a bit to see whats on
> the other side. You can also use a worm cam to slide undeneath doors
> and you even have to lockpick doors manualy. Comanding guards a
> gunpoint to activate voice recognition doors for instance is much
> better than him shaking just for some dogtags. Thermal goggles,
> nightvision, sticky cams everything, Its a combination of all the
> little gameplay ideas that make me belive it will be a better stealth
> game than MGS.

This is one of the problems I have with stealth games. All these features sound good, and they sound like they will be useful, but there are perhaps too much of these items. You will probably use the worm cam on some doors, but you wont use it on all.

It will get increasingly repetitive and tedious using the worm cam on every door just to see if there is someone behind it, just as it would get boring peeking through the door and all that other crap. I find things like this force you to just go round shooting everything, as doing the same task over and over again usually leads to extreme boredom.

That’s one of the problems with MGS, but because it was short, it didn't seem to drag on these monotonous tasks as long as other games. 15 to 20 hours is just too long to do all this stealth rubbish, and I know it would be too long to hold my interest.
Mon 05/08/02 at 15:15
"Darkness, always"
Ant wrote:
> Pah, if it has the characters, music, plot or emotion which made MGS1
> so special then I'll eat this floppy disk in front of me.

?????
the characters were mostly boring, as was the plot, and there was no emotion there. except for that it was over extremely quickly, which almost brought tears of joy to my eyes.

The game was clever once you first picked it up, but after about an hour it was just boring...
Mon 05/08/02 at 15:09
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I am not looking forward to this game for the Van Damme splits thing, its a whole combination of gameplay ideas. MGS was the original stealth game, Splinter Cell is looking to evolve the stealth genre by making it more interactive, deeper, clever and impressive.

In MGS, when snake goes through a door, he opens it and struts through like his arnie or something. In Splinter Cell, you have the option of *peeking* through the door by opening it just a bit to see whats on the other side. You can also use a worm cam to slide undeneath doors and you even have to lockpick doors manualy. Comanding guards a gunpoint to activate voice recognition doors for instance is much better than him shaking just for some dogtags. Thermal goggles, nightvision, sticky cams everything, Its a combination of all the little gameplay ideas that make me belive it will be a better stealth game than MGS.

It may not have the story or charachters, but I do belive this will have the gameplay. In MGS you could complete the game in a few hours, including cut sceanes. Splinter Cell will take around 15-20 hours of gametime to complete.

And just take a look at the screanshots, they look fantastic. Not everything I know but they are helping to create a believavle and atmospheric world. Voted best looking Xbox game at E3 I heard someone mention in the Xbox forum, that should indicate how high the standard of this game will be.

Realisticaly it probably won't beat MGS overall as a package but having said that this game should be on everyones must buy list this xmas.
Mon 05/08/02 at 10:57
Regular
I am now understanding the ways of the world and now look after my money.
When i had the N64 I used to by games on impulse, i once went into a shop for Zedla and it was out of stock but i had the money in my hands so i went and brought Hybrid Heaven which is now sold to a mate who has the problem of selling it on.

Any way my real point is that i used to read a review of a game and it said something like what they said in the review for splinter cell about that split thing, i have no idea what it is but you guys seem hyped up about it so could you tell me, and i used to buy that game because of options like that.

I used to get it home and do the option a few times then get bored as it wasnt as good as it sounded and then im left with a game that isnt truely that good.

Dont get me wrong i like the look of the game and it sounds good and i may buy it, but not just for this splits thing.
Mon 05/08/02 at 10:14
Regular
"  "
Graphics aren't everything.....
Mon 05/08/02 at 00:13
Regular
Ant wrote:
> Pah, if it has the characters, music, plot or emotion which made MGS1
> so special then I'll eat this floppy disk in front of me.
>
> It has a tiny chance against MGS2, but MGS1 is the all-time best
> stealth action and it will not be beaten.

you damn right.. if it comes anywhere nears MGS1 (excluding graphics) i will smash my new guiitar over my own head.!!!!!!!!!!!

I like tom clancy games, as well as games like delta force and the such. But no game could ever get near MGS1 in my view. Yeah graphics being realistic is a good kick but its the gameplay, the way a game captivates you.

And this whole "Van Damm splits thingis cool, but it will get worn out, its just a novelty, just like the push up in MGS2. They took forever and only got you dog tags. it wasnt worth all the effort in my view. but to please myself i did it anyways.

MGS1 rules, i might just buy it for 15 in woolworths as my old copy is chipped.
Sun 04/08/02 at 22:47
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm uninterested in the game because it provides nothing I haven't seen before. This whole sneaking about malarkey is a tried and tested thing in games, I'm getting a bit sick of it now. For me the only decent stealth em up titles are those set ye olden times like thief, which is a great game.

Maybe I'll get splinter cell when it gets released on budget, but for now I'll concern myself with games I know will keep me entertained. Don’t get me wrong, I think it looks like a good game, and will probably be one I’ll enjoy playing, but it just doesn’t interest me right now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.