GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A few Questions..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/07/02 at 16:19
Regular
I'm reasonbly new to web programming (I used to use WSIWYG but that sucked) and I'd like to ask you webheads a few q's...

1. Should I use frames on a site, I personally think they look a bit dodgy and also they don't work with all browsers. But is it worth making framesets for layout reasons?

2.I know Html and Javascript and I am planning to learn php and cgi but are there any other languages that are really worth learning?

3.Do you know of any good FREE (I am poor :) ) graphics programs for making web friendly graphics?

Thanks in Advance...
Thu 01/08/02 at 16:25
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Hockey Shooter wrote:
> Frames can save you a lot of duplicated effort when you come to add or
> remove sections of your site.

Actually, for this I'd recomend using the include() function in PHP (or the similer function in SSI). Instead of using Frames to hav a Navigation area, code the Navigation into a .html page and just include it with your Main Page, this works in the same was as having it in a Frame, but can look neater and more 'customisable' for each page you use it on, if you know PHP or JavaScript.

> It would be worth knowing at least something about CSS - cascading
> style sheets. Again, the can save you a lot of time.

... and why did know one else mention this first??? Kind of an obvious one, lol. Supprised I missed it :o).
Thu 01/08/02 at 14:29
Regular
"hockeyphotos.com"
XRAli wrote:
> I'm reasonbly new to web programming (I used to use WSIWYG but that
> sucked) and I'd like to ask you webheads a few q's...

I use a variety of editors, from Adobe's GoLive to the excellent shareware program NoteTab Pro.

http://www.notetab.com/

> 1. Should I use frames on a site, I personally think they look a bit
> dodgy and also they don't work with all browsers. But is it worth
> making framesets for layout reasons?

Frames can save you a lot of duplicated effort when you come to add or remove sections of your site. However, be aware of navigation problems for those who enter your site via a search engine, who will not necessarily enter through you home page and therefore may not see your navigation frame. Add a "go to home" link on the bottom of all your sub pages.

> 2.I know Html and Javascript and I am planning to learn php and cgi
> but are there any other languages that are really worth learning?

It would be worth knowing at least something about CSS - cascading style sheets. Again, the can save you a lot of time.

> 3.Do you know of any good FREE (I am poor :) ) graphics programs for
> making web friendly graphics?

No, I use Photoshop!

Chris.
Wed 31/07/02 at 23:37
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I use frames on my site, I think it can look quite good when done properly...

And I finally found how to get rid of the damm grey bars that keep appearing between the frames on frontpage!
Wed 31/07/02 at 23:23
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I got Paint Shop Pro the 10th Anniversary pack from amazon.co.uk for £35. As its a special edition it includes a lot more than usual, so look into that maybe, as its only £35.

I was shocked to see SR selling for £80 actually.
Wed 31/07/02 at 19:59
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
XRAli wrote:
> 1. Should I use frames on a site, I personally think they look a bit
> dodgy and also they don't work with all browsers. But is it worth
> making framesets for layout reasons?

Always avoid using frames unless it is absolutely necessary. I would recommend NOT using frames.

> 2.I know Html and Javascript and I am planning to learn php and cgi
> but are there any other languages that are really worth learning?

No that I can think of, except maybe HTA, but that doesn't do anything except allow users to download your webpages and save them so they can view them without going online.

erm . . . MS Paint?
Wed 31/07/02 at 19:13
>
> Thanks in Advance...

Try either Kazaa or Morpheus (hint hint).
Wed 31/07/02 at 19:03
Regular
".......on the attac"
XRAli wrote:

Ask a user called "GasMask" about that. That's his speciality ;-)
Wed 31/07/02 at 18:59
Thanks, I'll take your advice and d/l the firworks trial and maybe Gimp. I'll also start to read up on PhP and maybe Xml.

Thanks Again...
Wed 31/07/02 at 18:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You can use PHP as an ISAPI module to Apache or a CGI module, they work the same, except CGI is slower. However, PHP CGI can be used from the command-line, whihc is funky.
Wed 31/07/02 at 18:21
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
1. I'd agree with cjh, it's good on some websites, I made one recently which had music on it and if your using a slow modem you don't want to load the music everytime you click a new link, so stick the music in a frame and it plays all the time, same goes for Flash navigation and other big loaders.

You know HTML and Javascript? but don't know what to learn? either XML or PHP is the way to go for you. PHP can handle most if not all stuff you'd need in CGI (forms, databases...etc)
Didn't know PHP was CGI...

Free image programs? once again, you know HTML and Javascript?
Fireworks definatly, get the free trial, enjoy it and buy it, or download 'The Gimp' it's actually pretty darn good, started using it a while back, it's entirely free and legal, sort of like Photoshop yet not quite in some ways, good manipulation tool, might be worth your while checking it out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.