GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Controllers- The Future?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/07/02 at 11:03
Regular
Now i know there has been loads of topics about controllers but this could be different(I HOPE).

Controllers have certainly changed. It was only today when i was playing my very first nintendo,the one before the super nintendo. Anyway the ones who might have one know what the controller is like, rectangle with very few buttons. In the time this came out it was one of the best.

One of the biggest moves in the controls department was the playstaion. It was comfotable and there was loads of buttons you could press. Then i the N64 controller i thought this was great for fps but for other games not v good this is only my opinion not everyones.

The dreamcast control was the biggest one to dateand i personally found it the best to date. Even though some will disagree. It even had the visual memory card wich i thought was well groovy. The the gamecube controller this was one of the most comfotable controllers to date for me. The xbox controller i liked a lot as it was like the dreamcast controller, but i did find that the four main buttons a little close for comfort but apart from that i loved it. I cant wait to see what controller s will be like, even thought i will have get it shipped in as microsoft has decided they wont be releasing it in europe.

Anyway enough with the boring history, there is lots up the sleeves of the big companies. There is so many ideas they can do, i think sega had the right idea and start to push the technology forward by adding a visual memory card capability.

A few ideas of mine-

This is my best idea in my mind. It occured to me while in A and E. Any way in A and E you know if you are about to die they put one of those pulse rating things on your finger. Well think if they could do add one of these to a controller, it would be so cool!! Think of playing a FPS with a pulse rating on the side, now i know when i play games especially shooters my heart will start to pound. Well think if you were about to start shooting and you took aim if your pulse was to high it would wobble because YOU arent calm enough! So if you are calm it is easier to kill. It would be like panic and lose be calm and win. It would make you feel more apart of the game. I think it would add an extra dimension to the gameplay and the applications are near endless! How would use it?

Another great idea of mine would be to have a controler like that square that was a big hit in the 60's you had to move it so that on each side there would be one colour and one colour only. Think of the controller you could move it to where you want, so you could change the left analogue sticks to the right hand side, this owuld be a good idea because it would help left handers. I hope you understand what i mean on this one it is quiote hard to understand.

Thanks for reading

fosbe
Sun 28/07/02 at 23:10
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually there was a topic in prime about 3 months back that used said EXACTLY the same thing about this, and more. Came up with the idea of the pulse and interchangable controllers too.

Sonic
Sun 28/07/02 at 22:41
"+ suspicious minds"
pulse idea, golden.
Sat 27/07/02 at 20:47
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Cheers shadow dragon glad you enjoyed the idea about the pulse rating thing.
Sat 27/07/02 at 19:23
I can just imagine playing Goldeneye 007 or Perfect Dark with the pulse rating system.

You hide behind a crate in the jungle of Goldeneye and take aim at some target. You wobble 'cos you're nervous, you shoot, but you MISS! Now all the other bad guys know where you are, including the one you missed. Now you have less chance to get further in the level.

And imagine on Perfect Dark. You hide on a corner ready to shoot a DataDyne guard. You get anxious and, when firing, you couldn't aim straight enough. The bullet only just misses. Now, with the AI used Perfect Dark, the guard runs off and tells the rest of the security, leaving you even more nervous trying to run away. You get even MORE nervous when running. The pulse rating system increases the risk of you falling over or tripping. You're near the end of the level, just 10 more seconds. You run up to the last corner but, as you go to turn the corner, you slip. There was a bad guy around that corner. You're on the floor. He now has a gun rested on your head. He shoots you. You're dead. Game over! Nooooooooooo! It can't be. Damn stupid pulse coy carp thingy! But you try again. This time, you're more calm shooting the first guy. You shoot him. He dies! YES! You carry on. This time, you complete the level. And you realise something. The pulse rating system has helped you to improve your game. You're more experienced and, now, you're better at the game.

This pulse rating system is a great idea. I really hope it could be implemented in the future. Great post fosbe!!!
Sat 27/07/02 at 16:35
"`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·`·"
Good stuf, i liked the pulse idea aswell.
Sat 27/07/02 at 14:47
Regular
"Bobba you"
Good post there. Like the pulse idea good.
Sat 27/07/02 at 14:42
Regular
".......on the attac"
Interactivity is the main wish for a controller. I think the pulse idea is a great one, it could really be used in games to manipulate what happens depending on your pulse rate.
Sat 27/07/02 at 11:28
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Why oh why does that happen if you press the reply button before you are meant to!! Sorry everyone!! Didnt mean to do that.
Sat 27/07/02 at 11:27
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Whoops*
Sat 27/07/02 at 11:26
Regular
"ProGolfer"
*runs*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.