GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Damn PC World"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/07/02 at 17:10
Regular
I decided to get my Club 77 PC upgraded, from a quite slow 500Mhz to something with a little more Ooompf! I rang the PC World Technical support number a few days ago and they said I would be able to get it upgraded to a 1.5Ghz Celeron with 256Mb Ram and a 64Mb Graphics card, with the addition of a new motherboard for around £250. Upon arrival at my nearest PC World today, i was told by a man there that they didn't even sell 1.5 Celerons, and it would certainly cost more than £350. They advised buying a new PC altogether which really annoyed me as I had a years warranty left! They said to play games I would need 1.7Ghz at least, over 256Mb Ram an really expensive motherboard etc. I think that is far too extreme. So what do you guys think I should do? Where do you get you PC's upgraded? Should I buy a new one or should I complain to the PC World Tech department? Thanks
Mon 29/07/02 at 22:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Meh, I'm bringing her out for a general rewiring after the great cs0r tonight, I'll see what I can do and bug you about it then...
Mon 29/07/02 at 21:46
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Any other LEDs you can test on them? Didn't look at your case, but mine has very easy to remove LEDs..alternatively, try shoving the case lights on to the header of another mobo..

..If you're really that bothered about the flashy light. Then again, I'm the one with bloo modded case/hdd LEDs..
Mon 29/07/02 at 21:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
They're more daunted by the wires and everything that goes in them, but now after having actually seen and been stabbed by a motherboard not produced by Packard-Bell and friends, it's really quite simple.

..except my power and HDD leds don't work. I must have a chat with p;hil about that...
Mon 29/07/02 at 21:19
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
What do people have against fitting motherboards? It's blatently obvious which way they go in and how to fix them, and even more so if you have a removeable motherboard tray..
Mon 29/07/02 at 19:28
The best way to upgrade your PC is to do it yourself, buy the (right) components and fit them yourself. If you know what you're doing that is :D. Most components are easy to fit except for the motherboard.
Mon 29/07/02 at 17:23
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
PC World actually sell some high-level stuff at near-reasonable prices, because they know if you actually WANT that kind of stuff then you also know how much you should be paying for it. I got a 10/100mbit full duplex Ethernet card (with Linux modules!) plus 2 metres of CAT 5 (I actually wanted crossover, but a wire stripper and solering iron later it was OK) for £15.99. You can get cheaper, but it was worth it, considering it's 10 minutes down the road, I'm happy.
Sun 28/07/02 at 15:28
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
Clearly the person on the phone was talking bull. I'm not even sure if 1.5GHz Celerons exist and also for £250. Sorry but that guy clearly had one too many. But the guy at the shop was also talking complete bull. No way do you need 1.7Ghz and 256MB RAM to run games. I've got a Athlon XP 1900+ which actually runs at 1.6Ghz and 128Mb RAM and I actually think at the moment that is probably overkill.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by PC World because of this and only a day or two ago I was quite happy with them (they replace something I had ripped open and it wasn't broken).

If you are thinking of upgrading I would recommend you get them to do it. Have you got one of those health check things coming up. The thing where you get the whole PC checked and upgrades bought there are freely installed instead of there usual rip-off prices.

Really you just need to walk around the store for a while picking out what YOU want.
Fri 26/07/02 at 17:10
Regular
"the burning sky"
I decided to get my Club 77 PC upgraded, from a quite slow 500Mhz to something with a little more Ooompf! I rang the PC World Technical support number a few days ago and they said I would be able to get it upgraded to a 1.5Ghz Celeron with 256Mb Ram and a 64Mb Graphics card, with the addition of a new motherboard for around £250. Upon arrival at my nearest PC World today, i was told by a man there that they didn't even sell 1.5 Celerons, and it would certainly cost more than £350. They advised buying a new PC altogether which really annoyed me as I had a years warranty left! They said to play games I would need 1.7Ghz at least, over 256Mb Ram an really expensive motherboard etc. I think that is far too extreme. So what do you guys think I should do? Where do you get you PC's upgraded? Should I buy a new one or should I complain to the PC World Tech department? Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.