GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Expansion Pak for GC?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/07/02 at 12:14
Regular
We all know what serial port 1 under the GC is for, the Modem, I've also read in the forum that serial port 2 may be used for GC link-up, not too sure if this is true. It's probably a rumour but that'll be good for when the GC goes online and when future FPSs come out like Perfect Dark 2 or maybe even 3 and others like that. But the high speed port no one seems to know what it's going to be used for. Any Ideas? In my opinion I think it could be used for an expansion pak type device on the GC that'd be really cool, it would add extra processing power and polygon count for sharper clearer graphics.
This would help Nintendo justify there extra shelf-life for the GC as they could extend the life of it by utilising the High Speed port. Any comments, any other Ideas, just anything at all?
Thu 25/07/02 at 20:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Maybe for high speed internet?
Thu 25/07/02 at 19:28
The high speed port may never get used as didn't the snes and n64 have unused ports...?

The sd memory cards slot into adapters which slot into the memory card sockets so it won't be for that.

It could be for a broadband adapter or it could be for a r.a.m expansion.

Remember nintendo are concentrating on games and not un-essential hardware add-ons.
Thu 25/07/02 at 18:16
Regular
It doesn't have to be for anything.

Whether they're planning something for it or not, it'd be pretty short-sighted to lose any possibility of a hardware expansion. Best to just stick an expansion port in on the offchance.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:58
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I reckon that a Cube link-up feature will be introduced along with the likes of Mario Kart GC to boost Nintendo's multiplayer gaming which is has become much-loved by just about everyone!

I also think it's pretty safe to say that Nintendo are considering the possibillity of releasing a seperate HD add-on - just like SONY will be doing and that Microsoft have already done. The sole purpose of this would obviously be to support on-line games like Phantasy Star On-line.
But only IF On-line Gaming really becomes a Big Issue with the GameCube.

A GameCube HD wouldn't defintley be all that neccesary.
Indian Dude Y2K was telling me the other day about how the space on those SD Cards could have just the same effect as one Hard Drive add-on - and it'd be cheaper too.
Maybe the extra port could have something to do with an add-on to enable SD Cards to be used with the console?

One thing that'll effect the success of On-line Gaming on any console is the cost of it all. With the PS2 it looks like it could all fall-apart.
You'll have to pay around £100 for the HD first of all, then £40-45 for per on-line game, and an extra £15 or so a month to be able to use the services.

While with the X-Box everything is included and you only have an extra £34 to pay on an annual basis. Just think of the price difference, and how the Nintendo could follow-on in the same suit....
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:37
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
i reckon its either that or a hard drive, cos then we'd be able to do all the stuff Xbox can with its hard drive. no more memory cards needed, which'd be good

on the other hand, it may be a power booster port, so that the lid can open at high speeds and be used as a powerful catapult! who knows?!
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:14
We all know what serial port 1 under the GC is for, the Modem, I've also read in the forum that serial port 2 may be used for GC link-up, not too sure if this is true. It's probably a rumour but that'll be good for when the GC goes online and when future FPSs come out like Perfect Dark 2 or maybe even 3 and others like that. But the high speed port no one seems to know what it's going to be used for. Any Ideas? In my opinion I think it could be used for an expansion pak type device on the GC that'd be really cool, it would add extra processing power and polygon count for sharper clearer graphics.
This would help Nintendo justify there extra shelf-life for the GC as they could extend the life of it by utilising the High Speed port. Any comments, any other Ideas, just anything at all?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.