GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Expansion Pak for GC?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/07/02 at 12:14
Regular
We all know what serial port 1 under the GC is for, the Modem, I've also read in the forum that serial port 2 may be used for GC link-up, not too sure if this is true. It's probably a rumour but that'll be good for when the GC goes online and when future FPSs come out like Perfect Dark 2 or maybe even 3 and others like that. But the high speed port no one seems to know what it's going to be used for. Any Ideas? In my opinion I think it could be used for an expansion pak type device on the GC that'd be really cool, it would add extra processing power and polygon count for sharper clearer graphics.
This would help Nintendo justify there extra shelf-life for the GC as they could extend the life of it by utilising the High Speed port. Any comments, any other Ideas, just anything at all?
Thu 01/08/02 at 23:33
Regular
"keep your receipt"
hoho sonicrav, at least you can admit you're wrong, something that I hope phenom2002 can do.

You see, you're wrong. The 56k and Broadband modems fit into the same port, the 'internet' port. And whether IBM will produce a hard-drive EVER is unlikely, because even if they do confirm it IBM will have to expand their repertoire from just processors.

Lastly, I doubt that GameCubes will be able to be linked up into a 'LAN' of sorts, as Nintendo is focused on family gaming and that means four people huddled around ONE television, having a great time.

MessiaH out.
Thu 01/08/02 at 21:08
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I have just checked my last idea on half a dozen big web sites, and it seems that I am well and truely wrong. It is 1024 MB in a GB... I swear my A level Computing teacher said otherwise!
Thu 01/08/02 at 20:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I'm afraid not! You've fallen into a computing trap there...

1024 B in a KB
1024 KB in a MB

BUT there are only 1000 MB in a GB- not the 1024 that you have used!

This allows over 46 copies of the game.

:p
Wed 31/07/02 at 23:58
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
The discs can hold more than 9 versions of Ocarina Of Time can't they. The disks hold 1.5GB I think and Ocarina Of Time was probably on a 256 Mbit cartridge which is 32MB so 1 disc can hold about 48 versions of it. If you want to dispute the maths feel free to.
Mon 29/07/02 at 20:02
If you think about it a gamecube disc can fit about 9 ocarina of time games on it and its already got spectacular graphics,why would it need one?
Mon 29/07/02 at 19:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I highly doubt that an expansion pack will come out for the GC- certainly not soon at least. To do so would require it to be extremely cheap- so cheap that it could come bundled with games. Not only do Nintendo not need any more polygons on the console (graphics don't make better games!), but it may not be viable to do so.

Add to this that developers will only support an add on if gamers buy it, and gamers will only buy it if it's supported... In a market where Ninty are trying to amass 50 million sales, an expensive expansion pack will flop. If it's any more than just a pack (like the 64DD), then it'll lose millions along the way.

Safe to say that no expansion pack is on the way then. Even if it was, it would be internal- not external!
Mon 29/07/02 at 11:52
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
>
> A GameCube HD wouldn't defintley be all that neccesary.
> Indian Dude Y2K was telling me the other day about how the space on
> those SD Cards could have just the same effect as one Hard Drive
> add-on - and it'd be cheaper too.
> Maybe the extra port could have something to do with an add-on to
> enable SD Cards to be used with the console?
>

das ist me :)
Sun 28/07/02 at 22:58
Regular
"me smart, u dork bi"
one Expansion port will be used for the 56.6k modem a second will be used for the BBA and the last one will be used for a hardrive add-on being devoloped by IBM and the cube unfortnatly will not have a link-up option and will stick to online link-up gaming(perfect dark zero online anyone). I hope that this has answered all of your questions

Phenom2002
Fri 26/07/02 at 09:33
"Darkness, always"
I think we should know by now that Nintendo plan well enough that they will be confident of the GC being capable of lasting the pace games and graphics wise for the next year or so at least.

The port will remain unused at least that long.
Fri 26/07/02 at 00:36
Regular
The broadband modem is the same shape as the 56 k one, just a different colour (grey, instead of black), so they are pretty much certain to use the same port on the cube.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.