GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo - they're back"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/07/02 at 09:16
Regular
After the poor image that Nintendo seem to have during the life of the N64, it's good to see that they are back on form with the Gamecube.

I've been well impressed with Nintendo's efforts with the Gamecube. They seem to have got the balance just right by encouraging more third-party developers whilst at the same time keeping the 'Nintendo feel' to most of the games coming out. As well as having multi-format games (i.e. Tony Hawks, Soul Calibur, Timesplitters) that will attract a lot of people, they also have the top notch Nintendo exclusives like Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness and Metroid. I think that this balance will help to popularise the Gamecube without losing the brilliance and individuality of Nintendo games.

I also think that they have done well by stating that they have no intention of going down the same road as Sony and Microsoft by continually trying to create more and more powerful machines. With Nintendo concentrating on the Gamecube for many years to come there are going to be more and more brilliant games coming out for the console, whilst Sony and Microsoft fall for the trap of creating more and more updates of games that are already out. I think that a lot of gamers are fed up with the 'console war' that is supposed to be happening, and just want to play good games. The Gamecube will, I think, provide this.

Nintendo are, I feel, going to do very well for themselves.

Cheers,

Paul Harries
Aberystwyth
Wed 24/07/02 at 13:07
Regular
AfroJoe wrote:
> Dave RJR wrote:
> Re: Ninty's discs can have just as much space on them as any others.
> I
> don't think so! GC disc = 1.5Gb per side. DVD = 8.5Gb per side using
> dual layer (or 4.25Gb per side in single layer mode).
>
> Panasonic Q is not available here. And it will be more expensive.
> And
> it's hybrid technology without the Nintendo badge which means people
> won't know what it is and will be reluctant to pay the higher price
> when you can get a PS2 (which has more games) with built in DVD for
> less.
>
> ---
>
> It won't be as expensive as a PS2 was at release.
>
> It reaches the equivelant of £225 in Japan, which is likely to
> be bumped up to £250 on release here, if it ever does get
> released here.
>
> PS2 was £300 at launch, was it not?

Yea but even if it is that price, i bet most people will ignore it because they won't know what it is (even though i would agree that it is better than just a standard GC technically). People will also compare it's price to GC, PS2, and XBox. Why spend £250 on a Q, when you can get a PS2 or XBox for £200? And PS2 will play DVD's without the need for the remote.
Wed 24/07/02 at 12:13
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Dave RJR wrote:
> Re: Ninty's discs can have just as much space on them as any others. I
> don't think so! GC disc = 1.5Gb per side. DVD = 8.5Gb per side using
> dual layer (or 4.25Gb per side in single layer mode).
>
> Panasonic Q is not available here. And it will be more expensive. And
> it's hybrid technology without the Nintendo badge which means people
> won't know what it is and will be reluctant to pay the higher price
> when you can get a PS2 (which has more games) with built in DVD for
> less.

---

It won't be as expensive as a PS2 was at release.

It reaches the equivelant of £225 in Japan, which is likely to be bumped up to £250 on release here, if it ever does get released here.

PS2 was £300 at launch, was it not?
Wed 24/07/02 at 12:10
Regular
Re: Ninty's discs can have just as much space on them as any others. I don't think so! GC disc = 1.5Gb per side. DVD = 8.5Gb per side using dual layer (or 4.25Gb per side in single layer mode).

Panasonic Q is not available here. And it will be more expensive. And it's hybrid technology without the Nintendo badge which means people won't know what it is and will be reluctant to pay the higher price when you can get a PS2 (which has more games) with built in DVD for less.
Wed 24/07/02 at 12:05
Regular
DVD also has an upgrade path now. Sony is making their Blue Laser DVD format which will hold like 2-3 times as much data as normal DVD discs. Becuase it's an "upgrade" to DVD, you will be able to play existing DVD movies. DVD is the way to go.
Wed 24/07/02 at 12:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Techno freak wrote:
> While I agree that Nintendo have got a good balance with the GC and
> and finally put the short comings of the N64 behind them, they're are
> still some contervsial points with the new machine.

---

And the PS2 and X-Box have no contervsial points then?

---

> 1) Most developers in the future will want to use DVD because of the
> capacity cababilities to produce bigger and better games that is the
> only way.

---

Ninty's discs can have just as much space on them as any others.

---

> 2) No DVD capabilities are hurting the GC in native Japan where the
> format is big in terms of games and in particular Movies.

---

Have you heard of the 'Q'? It is a type of GC that plays DVDs, and is made by Panasonic and Nintendo. If the Japanese wanted to watch DVDs on their GCs, they'd be buying that instead of the actual GC.

---

> 3) Nintendo say's it is only interested in purely games, however PS2
> has sold huge quanities due to it's dvd movie capability alone,
> opening it to a whole new gaming market.

---

No, Nintendo doesn't say it's purely interested in games. It's main feature is games on the regular GC, but for the 'Q', Nintendo are making it able to play DVDs because they think that DVDs can make them money, and that goes to prove that Nintendo are not soley based on games.

---

> 4) The reason Nintendo are not interested in more power is because
> they have cut corners to produce the GC, serial ports, no dvd
> capability standard on all ranges of pc's now, no dolby digital 5.1,
> no usb or firewire, that is why the console is so cheap.

---

No, the console is cheap because Nintendo want to make a better profit than they did with the N64, and by making their console cheaper they can get more, sales, which means more money, which means a better future for Nintendo. The GC is a more powerful console than the PS2 anyway.

---

> 5) The demands and expections of gamers will only increase and
> Nintendo will be left behind if they say that technology advancement
> is not a issue.

---

Since when have they said that technology advance is not an issue? Their console is more advanced than the PS2, so I don't see how you can say that Nintendo are not interested in technology advance.

---

> 6) With a lack of modern console capabilities and features the GC
> could quickly fall behind and become outdated. Maybe not this year or
> next but 3 or 4 it will be very antiquated compared to the other two.

---

In 3 or 4 years Nintendo will already have a new console in development (that is, if GC ain't their last console) to keep up with the PS3 and X-Box 2. In 3 or 4 years PS2 is scheduled for release, so of course a GC would look outdated to that and the new Microsoft console, but Ninty should hopefully have a new console in development by then anyway.

I don't see what you're getting at here....
Wed 24/07/02 at 11:53
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
El Swandre wrote:
> AfroJoe wrote:
> GC's discs can hold more data than you'd expect. They have a lot of
> memory, and enough space to put a Final Fantasy game on 1 disc, and
> not 3. So NGC said a while back anyway.
>
> So they can compress something that took the PS2 a few years in on one
> disc...but a few months after launch Resident Evil is on two discs?

---

Yes. They can/
Wed 24/07/02 at 11:46
Regular
Techno freak wrote:

>
>
No it's not, the majority of movies in Japan come on VCD's.

> is not a issue.

It isn't, this is the console industry not the PC industry, there's nothing that Sony or Microsoft have planned that is really going to improve the standard of games they are shipping.

>

Modern Console capabilites? what you mean like a DVD player, that makes no difference to the standard of games. Or how about Microsoft's new Xbox addon, the ability to record TV programs onto your X-Box, jeez what a useful tool for a GAMES CONSOLE that is. What exactly is the GC gonna fall behind and become outdated? It already out performs the PS2 in most areas and the Xbox really isn't that far ahead. The only way it's gonna fall behind is if the new consoles are brought out.

Remember it's all about the GAMES, not who can bring out the biggest hardrive and fastest doodars and thingumy watsits.
Wed 24/07/02 at 11:46
Techno freak wrote:
> 1) Most developers in the future will want to use DVD because of the
> capacity cababilities to produce bigger and better games that is the
> only way.

DVD is a good idea in terms of disc size. Games can be amazing with the amount of data to go on one disc. However, the GameCube discs are misleading. They may be small but they can have loads on them.

Not really. The Panasonic GameCube runs DVDs and is widely availble in Japan.

> 3) Nintendo say's it is only interested in purely games, however PS2
> has sold huge quanities due to it's dvd movie capability alone,
> opening it to a whole new gaming market.

So, you're saying that if the GameCube had DVD compatability, it would see just as well as the PS2. I doubt it. The reason I chose a GameCube over the other 2 consoles is because of the "purely a games console" reason.

> 4) The reason Nintendo are not interested in more power is because
> they have cut corners to produce the GC, serial ports, no dvd
> capability standard on all ranges of pc's now, no dolby digital 5.1,
> no usb or firewire, that is why the console is so cheap.

The GameCube isn't a PC. Although, I can think of another console that closely matches it. However, the GameCube does have new technology in it. The GEX chip, for example. It has IBM technologu and, if you look on the front of the little purple cube, you'll see it says "Powered by ATI". The GameCube is 5.1 compatible if you look into it.
>
> is not a issue.

What? The GameCube is a technological advancement. The demands of gamers will increase and Nintendo know how to deliver. It is the longest-running console creator around. Look at this line of technological advancements. NES, Gameboy, SNES, Nintendo64, GameBoy Colour, GameBoy Advance, GameCube. You'll see that they all get better as they go along.
>

Nintendo have a lot of loyal customers and, just because the GameCube doesn't have the added DVD feature, doesn't mean it will be outdated and odd in 3 years time.

I will no doubt be called a fanboy now. However, I do feel that some people take the lack of DVD capability on the GameCube too far. Like I have already said, Nintendo created the GameCube for the sole purpose of playing games. And, if you want the DVD feature as well, you could always get the Panasonic GameCube as the Datel disc, which is soon to be released, will allow for imported games to be played on it. So, in my opinion, no DVDs on the GameCube isn't really a problem.
Wed 24/07/02 at 11:35
Regular
Don't forget, GC has Dolby Pro-Logic II (analogue surround sound) output - WOW! When everyone is moving to Dolby Digital surround sound and even DTS, Nintendo fit a slightly improved version of an 8 year old sound system.
Wed 24/07/02 at 11:25
Regular
While I agree that Nintendo have got a good balance with the GC and and finally put the short comings of the N64 behind them, they're are still some contervsial points with the new machine.

1) Most developers in the future will want to use DVD because of the capacity cababilities to produce bigger and better games that is the only way.

2) No DVD capabilities are hurting the GC in native Japan where the format is big in terms of games and in particular Movies.

3) Nintendo say's it is only interested in purely games, however PS2 has sold huge quanities due to it's dvd movie capability alone, opening it to a whole new gaming market.

4) The reason Nintendo are not interested in more power is because
they have cut corners to produce the GC, serial ports, no dvd capability standard on all ranges of pc's now, no dolby digital 5.1, no usb or firewire, that is why the console is so cheap.

5) The demands and expections of gamers will only increase and Nintendo will be left behind if they say that technology advancement is not a issue.

6) With a lack of modern console capabilities and features the GC could quickly fall behind and become outdated. Maybe not this year or next but 3 or 4 it will be very antiquated compared to the other two.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.