GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo - they're back"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/07/02 at 09:16
Regular
After the poor image that Nintendo seem to have during the life of the N64, it's good to see that they are back on form with the Gamecube.

I've been well impressed with Nintendo's efforts with the Gamecube. They seem to have got the balance just right by encouraging more third-party developers whilst at the same time keeping the 'Nintendo feel' to most of the games coming out. As well as having multi-format games (i.e. Tony Hawks, Soul Calibur, Timesplitters) that will attract a lot of people, they also have the top notch Nintendo exclusives like Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness and Metroid. I think that this balance will help to popularise the Gamecube without losing the brilliance and individuality of Nintendo games.

I also think that they have done well by stating that they have no intention of going down the same road as Sony and Microsoft by continually trying to create more and more powerful machines. With Nintendo concentrating on the Gamecube for many years to come there are going to be more and more brilliant games coming out for the console, whilst Sony and Microsoft fall for the trap of creating more and more updates of games that are already out. I think that a lot of gamers are fed up with the 'console war' that is supposed to be happening, and just want to play good games. The Gamecube will, I think, provide this.

Nintendo are, I feel, going to do very well for themselves.

Cheers,

Paul Harries
Aberystwyth
Wed 24/07/02 at 09:16
After the poor image that Nintendo seem to have during the life of the N64, it's good to see that they are back on form with the Gamecube.

I've been well impressed with Nintendo's efforts with the Gamecube. They seem to have got the balance just right by encouraging more third-party developers whilst at the same time keeping the 'Nintendo feel' to most of the games coming out. As well as having multi-format games (i.e. Tony Hawks, Soul Calibur, Timesplitters) that will attract a lot of people, they also have the top notch Nintendo exclusives like Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness and Metroid. I think that this balance will help to popularise the Gamecube without losing the brilliance and individuality of Nintendo games.

I also think that they have done well by stating that they have no intention of going down the same road as Sony and Microsoft by continually trying to create more and more powerful machines. With Nintendo concentrating on the Gamecube for many years to come there are going to be more and more brilliant games coming out for the console, whilst Sony and Microsoft fall for the trap of creating more and more updates of games that are already out. I think that a lot of gamers are fed up with the 'console war' that is supposed to be happening, and just want to play good games. The Gamecube will, I think, provide this.

Nintendo are, I feel, going to do very well for themselves.

Cheers,

Paul Harries
Aberystwyth
Wed 24/07/02 at 09:20
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Yes, we are all getting fed up with the console wars.

I've read 4 'Console Warz' topics today.
Wed 24/07/02 at 09:31
I think all the consoles are doing well, which is why I'm getting fed up with console war topics. Nintendo are doing good for the reason you described. Sony are doing well because of the amount of games that are available and Microsoft are doing good too. Although, all the consoles have their faults too. Nintendo was the last to be released so it doesn't have as many games. Microsoft have a problem with the X-box scratching discs. Sony's problems lie within games. They don't create their own games so it's hard for Sony to have their own flag character. For example, Nintendo have Mario and Sega have Sonic. At first, Sony had Crash Bandicoot but he's now jumped onto the X-box. Microsoft, too, don't have their own flag character. All the consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. It's just up to the customer's own preferences which decide what they will buy.
Wed 24/07/02 at 09:50
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
ShadowDragon, do you have MSN?
Wed 24/07/02 at 09:53
AfroJoe wrote:
> ShadowDragon, do you have MSN?

Yeah, and I've already tried adding you to it... twice! One of the other users have me your address. I'll send you a message.
Wed 24/07/02 at 09:54
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
ShadowDragon wrote:
> AfroJoe wrote:
> ShadowDragon, do you have MSN?
>
> Yeah, and I've already tried adding you to it... twice! One of the
> other users have me your address. I'll send you a message.

---

Ah, they've probably given you my old address.
Wed 24/07/02 at 10:00
By the power of magic (Major Chip Hazard), I now have your new address. Heh...
Wed 24/07/02 at 10:01
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
ShadowDragon wrote:
> By the power of magic (Major Chip Hazard), I now have your new
> address. Heh...

---

Did he give you mine?

He gave me yours as well.
:D
Wed 24/07/02 at 10:54
Regular
The Nintendo GameCube does have limitations (no DVD, so no movie playback, and lower capacity discs). As time goes by, and games get larger, this will become more of a problem. But even so, GameCube is better than N64. GC has a wider selection of games - and can just about appeal to a wider age group.
Wed 24/07/02 at 11:01
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Dave RJR wrote:
> The Nintendo GameCube does have limitations (no DVD, so no movie
> playback, and lower capacity discs). As time goes by, and games get
> larger, this will become more of a problem. But even so, GameCube is
> better than N64. GC has a wider selection of games - and can just
> about appeal to a wider age group.

---

GC's discs can hold more data than you'd expect. They have a lot of memory, and enough space to put a Final Fantasy game on 1 disc, and not 3. So NGC said a while back anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.