GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"£30 Million for Rio - Agreed!!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/07/02 at 18:49
Regular
Taken from bbc.com

Manchester United have agreed a British-record £30m fee with Leeds for England defender Rio Ferdinand.
Leeds had been demanding £35m for the 23-year-old World Cup star, but have now accepted a lower offer.

The deal makes Ferdinand the world's most expensive defender for the second time.

His £18.5m move from West Ham to Leeds in November 2000 made him the world's costliest defender.

Ferdinand's trip over the Pennines to Old Trafford beats the £22.5m Juventus paid Parma for French international Lilian Thuram.

In signing Ferdinand, Manchester United have broken their own British transfer record, set when they paid Lazio £28.1m for Argentine captain Juan Sebastian Veron.

Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale conducted the transfer from his holiday home in the south of France.

World record transfers
£46.5m: Zindedine Zidane (Juventus to Real Madrid).
£37m: Luis Figo (Barcelona to Real Madrid).
£35.7: Hernan Crespo (Parma to Lazio).
£32m: Gianluigi Buffon (Parma to Juventus).
£31m: Christian Vieri (Lazio to Inter Milan).
£30m: Rio Ferdinand (Leeds to Man Utd).

Ridsdale said: "The increase in Rio Ferdinand's valuation since his £18m transfer from West Ham clearly signals a significant return on our original investment.

"Subject to him agreeing personal terms and passing a medical, he will be a Manchester United player.

"Everyone at Leeds wishes him all the best in his future career."

Ridsdale spent Sunday morning locked in talks with Manchester United chief executive Peter Kenyon.

Leeds initially said a deal needed to be struck by 1200 BST for Ferdinand to move, but later dropped the deadline.

Ridsdale defends sale

The deal brings an end to a dramatic and long-running saga transfer.

Manchester United have tracked Ferdinand from a long way out and his performances during the World Cup only increased their desire to sign him.

Ferdinand returned form the World Cup to a flurry of activity surrounding his future.

Speculation increased when Leeds sacked manager David O'Leary, leaving replacement Terry Venables with the dificult task of holding on to Ferdinand.

Ferdinand handed in a transfer request on 17 July, but it was immediately turned down by Ridsdale.
Wed 24/07/02 at 10:47
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Or maybe it's all down to the success and reputation that comes with the name 'Manchester United'... just like Barcelona and Real Madrid.

People from all-over the world also support them, and they aren't exaclty based on the out-skirts... while they're also highly-succesfull clubs.
Mon 22/07/02 at 23:51
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
No-one from Manchester actually supports United
> as far as I know - they're all City fans.

Mainly due to City being the club in the core of Manchester while Old Trafford is on the outskirts...
Mon 22/07/02 at 19:25
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
> Ah, Rio will be wearing number 6.
>

I bet Mr Blanc is happy about that, having worn No6 last season. I thought Rio might have to have no 5 since Johnsen has left.
Mon 22/07/02 at 19:20
Regular
Ah, Rio will be wearing number 6.

Now i just need the people at the Man Utd website to add his name to the pull down menu for name/number on the replica shirt...

Only £5 for any of the regular first team players...
Mon 22/07/02 at 13:54
Regular
LOL :)
Mon 22/07/02 at 13:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Or†ega wrote:
"Although I hear there is a lot of money in Turkish football..."

Hell yeah! There's a Turk at my school who's dad's got tie-ins with Fenerbache - and he's loaded! You should see some of the stuff he comes back with from a holiday over there, and some of the stuff he buys frequently over here!

But he does lie a lot, tried to convice us that his dad was in the Turkish Mafia or something! :)
Mon 22/07/02 at 13:15
Regular
Few more details...

Manchester United will pay £14.9m up front for Ferdinand and another £14.2m in a year's time to make an initial transfer fee of £29.1m.

But if Ferdinand's new club go on to win trophies in the next five years, the fee could rise to a total of £33.1m.
Mon 22/07/02 at 13:11
Regular
Rio has passed a medical :)

Press conferance at around half 3 to confirm the transfer :)
Mon 22/07/02 at 13:09
Regular
Solskjær wrote:

> The only bad thing about this deal is that due to the high price-tag
> we're gunna be seeing a lot more multi-million-pound transfers over
> the next year in Europe - just like this one.
> That problem will never end! :(

Nah, not really.

Only really Man Utd can afford these sort of transfers in England. Most of the italian teams are in debt (Lazio still aint paid for stam; Vieri, ronaldo and Recoba taking pay cuts)and its only really Real Madrid which got the same sort of Financial Clout. Although I hear there is a lot of money in Turkish football...
Mon 22/07/02 at 13:01
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Wes Brown's still got quite a way to go before he can start on a regular basis I feel, but his friendship with Rio will definitley help him come along for the future. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.