GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA EXTRA GAMEADAY PRIZE (Design the Freeola error page)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/07/02 at 17:20
Regular
COMPETITION NOW CLOSED - WINNER TO BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY

Another day, another great opportunity to win an EXTRA GAMEADAY prize. That's one prize of any game of your choice if you are a member of SR, or one prize of an SR Membership with Free Gift, if you are not a member.

Take a look at this page:

http://registration.freeola.net/errors/e.php?ec=404

The purpose of this page is to show people that they have gone to the wrong page.

However, there is another important role for these pages, and that's to get people to our site! Most of the people seeing this error page have never heard of us, and we want them to become SR fans.

This competition closes on August 10th and will be judged by Loki himself.

To win you must design a simple, fast-loading page with sufficient innovation to achieve a high click rate to the following sites:
UKgames.com
UKpc.net
Freeola.com
GetDotted.com

Place the url in a reply in this thread and Loki will pop in from time to time and publish your link as a hotlink in this opening thread (so that people can easily see all the page designs you have entered).

You can enter as many times as you like and there will be one winner who produces the design which impresses loki the most. If no designs impress loki at all then he will not issue a prize.

It's vital that the page loads quickly. You are more likely to win with some clever wording than you are with flashy designs. You can use one of our stock banner, like the one shown on the error page at present, or you can make your design without a banner if you like.

Good Luck.

----------------------------------------
OK, here's a list of all the entries:

RiCk0sS:
RiCk0sS 1 | RiCk0sS 2 | RiCk0sS 3 | RiCk0sS 4 | RiCk0sS 5 | RiCk0sS 6 | RiCk0sS 7 | RiCk0sS 8 | RiCk0sS 9 | RiCk0sS 10 | RiCk0sS 11 | RiCk0sS 12 | RiCk0sS 13 | RiCk0sS 14 | RiCk0sS 15 | RiCk0sS 16 | RiCk0sS 17 | RiCk0sS 18

Edgy:
Edgy

Rakuga:
Rakuga 1 | Rakuga 2 | Rakuga 3 | Rakuga 4 | Rakuga 5 | Rakuga 6 | Rakuga 7

0-MessiaH-0:
0-MessiaH-0

Fog:
Fog 1 | Fog 2 | Fog 3 | Fog 4 | Fog 5

Whoo!:
Whoo! | Whoo! 2 | Whoo! 3

Tyla:
Tyla 1 | Tyla 2

RastaBillySkank:
RastaBillySkank 1 | RastaBillySkank 2 | RastaBillySkank 3 | RastaBillySkank 4

phi11ip:
phi11ip 1 | phi11ip 2 | phi11ip 3 | phi11ip 4 | phi11ip 5 | phi11ip 6 | phi11ip 7

GasMask:
GasMask 1 | GasMask 2 | GasMask 3 | GasMask 4

Shadow Dragon:
Shadow Dragon

Lord H:
Lord H 1 | Lord H 2

Fuzzy:
Fuzzy 1 | Fuzzy 2 | Fuzzy 3 | Fuzzy 4 | Fuzzy 5 | Fuzzy 6 | Fuzzy 7 | Fuzzy 8 | Fuzzy 9

DOMAYE:
DOMAYE 1 | DOMAYE 2 | DOMAYE 3

Dav1d:
Dav1d 1 | Dav1d 2 | Dav1d 3 | Dav1d 4

Dr Duck:
Dr Duck 1 | Dr Duck 2

SmokedKipper:
SmokedKipper 1 | SmokedKipper 2

NaÝßu©:
NaÝßu© 1 | NaÝßu© 2 | NaÝßu© 3

ajg:
ajg

Twain:
Twain | Twain 2

Insomnia:
Insomnia

Tetchy:
Tetchy 1 | Tetchy 2 | Tetchy 3 | Tetchy 4 | Tetchy 5 | Tetchy 6 | Tetchy 7 | Tetchy 8 | Tetchy 9 | Tetchy 10 | Tetchy 11

arix:
arix 1 | arix 2 | arix 3 | arix 4 | arix 5 | arix 6

Mystique:
Mystique 1 | Mystique 2 | Mystique 3 | Mystique 4 | Mystique 5
Page:
Thu 15/08/02 at 17:46
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Right then. Here we go...

There were some interesting entries to this competition, some nicely designed pages and some frankly baffling ones! The idea of the competition was to come up witgh an innovative and quick page to get people to other parts of our site. A lot of the best looking pages were nicely designed error pages, or witty 404 messages. Unfortunately this wasn't what we were looking for, it was the navigation to the four other sites mentioned, not the error message itself that we were looking for! So, a lot of perfectly good pages didn't make the final cut. It's also amazing how many pages didn't load in Netscape. I know we're in a minority, but some people still use it so it's always worth checking.

Honourable mentions go to some great entries, notably Tony as a Mafia boss and The Fonz's wrong-a-mundo page. Both would have made me read the links below. It's one thing to say 'Why not check out the links below:' on an error but why should I? Because The Fonz says so. Now that's marketing. But, due to reasons of copyright and sheer silliness we won't actually be able to use either of them =(

So, the actual winner then... while the design of his pages wasn't the most elegant, the winning entry was innovative enough to give us an idea that we may actually end up using. Although it is probably quite obvious, I hadn't thought about using a pull-down menu to enable us to list a load of our services without cluttering up our simple and clean error pages. So, the winner is RiCk0sS for prompting that idea, and of course for his sheer dedication to having me continously updating the latest entries list on his behalf.

Cheers.
Thu 15/08/02 at 17:23
Regular
Whooo! wrote:
> come on loki, my arms are hurting with this drum roll, and sight of
> nic's hooters bouncing round while she dances is making me ill...
Hush and keep drummin boy!
*Cracks whip*
Whhhoopah!
Thu 15/08/02 at 16:30
RiCkOsS wrote:
> Meh, no harm in trying in my opinion. You get better with practice.
> Anyway, it's your fault for looking at them :-D

LOL! you cant blame me! im the innocent user!
Thu 15/08/02 at 16:30
Regular
"How Handy."
come on loki, my arms are hurting with this drum roll, and sight of nic's hooters bouncing round while she dances is making me ill...
Thu 15/08/02 at 16:19
Regular
Meh, no harm in trying in my opinion. You get better with practice. Anyway, it's your fault for looking at them :-D
Thu 15/08/02 at 15:44
RiCkOsS wrote:
> Nimco wrote:
> im $h!te at anything graphical or design based
>
> Didn't stop me :-D

So many things I could say but won't coz they would be OTT and harsh and untrue, e.g:

It should have done;
Yup;
No comment;
Wish it had;
Yeah, you're worse.

etc etc. but like i said, i wont say them... d'oh!
Thu 15/08/02 at 15:34
Regular
Nimco wrote:
> im $h!te at anything graphical or design based

Didn't stop me :-D
Thu 15/08/02 at 12:48
Fog wrote:
> Your very positive about your work, nice to see :)

of course.... just have a look at the cached version of my site on google to see why my comments are justified (btw, that is the old version of the site)

http://www.knight-sites.co.uk
Thu 15/08/02 at 12:42
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Your very positive about your work, nice to see :)
Thu 15/08/02 at 12:39
Fog wrote:
> So, you didn't want to make yourself look bad? :)

exactly. plus i wouldnt want to bring down the standard of design any more.... some might say it can't get lower....if i posted, it would plummet :)
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.