GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"why do we all like different games?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/09/06 at 21:21
Regular
For example.. for those that hated Ridge Racer 6.. what do you feel when playing it? why is it crap for you?

same goes with something like Toca Race Driver. (yes,another racing game) why do some of us like this but others don't?

tell us your most hated game(s) and why it feels like crap to you in particular.

For me, I hate the Metal Gear franchise, because whenever I play a Metal Gear title, I feel its not exciting enough. Too much stick and move.. stick and move. I just want to KILLLL stuff.
Tue 05/09/06 at 14:30
"possibly impossible"
Just thought of another one...Sonic R on the Saturn.

I loved it. Other people loved it. But a lot of people hated it.

It was just so different, which was probably its main fault as well as a strength. It was the Sonic Team game before Burning Rangers (which I also loved and another reason to see a Sonic Team retro compilation).

All the Sonic Characters playable or unlockable, running round 3D looping tracks. Picking up hidden gems. I thought it was excellent.
Mon 04/09/06 at 19:47
Regular
Animal Crossing. It sucks because there is nothing to do.
Fifa Street. It annoys me that I've been playing street gmes for years and now I've got idiots in my face saying stuff like "Rooney doz backflipz!!!"
Mon 04/09/06 at 16:57
Regular
I really can't bear racing games. Whatever it is with me and the way I play, I'm not sure, but I always end up making a slight mistake after a gruelling ten minute race only to be overtaken by every car on the race track and not be able to make the difference back up. I'm not much of a car nut either. I appreciate things like a curved and distinctive Ferrari chassis but statistics such as horsepower bore me to tears.

Likewise, on the statistics are boring theme, is any 'Championship Manager' style game. When I say that I don't mean something like the Career mode in any of the more recent FIFA games, because you actually get to play as your team. I just don't see any excitement in tweaking statistics and not being able to play but I'm sure those into football would enjoy that sort of thing.

Stealth games like Splinter Cell annoy me too. I got the first Splinter Cell with my Xbox and I loved the graphics, as well as sneaking around on the first few levels. After that though, although successful finishing moves are fun and rewarding, I didn't like the challenge of waiting for ages in a place to time a move perfectly, only to screw up just before a checkpoint. It may be realistic, but in a game it's frustrating when guards who were clueless to your existence moments before whip round and kill you in a single shot.

I used to like the classic side-scrolling Mario games and even most the games that came out on the N64, like MarioKart, simply as they were addictive and enjoyable. Since then though it seems to have been dulled-down to a younger audience with objectives such as washing oil of rocks. Doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Come to think of it, I've never actually owned a Mario game.

Finally, I literally can't play platformers such as Tomb Raider. They're just so difficult. When I say that, it's not that I don't want a challenge in my games, just that I don't want to try something that can't be figured out without a walkthrough. To me, Tomb Raider made no logical sense in trying to get to a certain location, I couldn't get across after trying everything. Later on in Tomb Raider was a section with about four levers that had to be tweaked in a way that I'd never figure out.
Mon 04/09/06 at 14:40
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
We are all individuals and we all like different things.

I'd give any game a go once. I dislike playing horror games. They don't appeal to me in the slightest. I'd still play them though.
Mon 04/09/06 at 13:04
"possibly impossible"
But to answer the initial question:

A game has to be enjoyable and people enjoy different things. One person might like lots of stats and another may like uncomplicated gameplay.

Also, it's like films. I'm not that keen on war films, but I liked Saving Private Ryan. Likewise, I don't really like the war games such as Call of Duty, but I love Battlefield and Battlefront stuff. SO subject has a lot to do with it as well.

You're going to get a lot more out of Need for Speed Underground 2 if you're interested in 'pimping' cars, for instance. Or you might hate Nintendogs if dogs aren't your thing.

Finally, I like Full Auto on the 360. It's a great pick-up-and-play racer with lots of destruction. Other people didn't like it because it didn't do very much or wasn't as deep or well coded as the Burnout games. But I wanted something that was quick to play and looking at it objectively, it was cheap (16.99)

So; Subject, type and style of games usually mean a game is more or less appealing. Coupled with how good a game actually is and how deep you get in to it, plus how much you paid for it.
Mon 04/09/06 at 12:57
"possibly impossible"
Loved Settlers II (which is coming out on DS, yeah!) but hated what they did with the sequels.
Mon 04/09/06 at 12:07
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yea Socom 2 was such a letdown after the awesomeness of Socom. I played it for about 2 weeks and after having a guy lined up square in my sights only for my bullets to magically miss him i just went down the local game shop and traded it in.

Oh and sprite graphics pwn your soul noob :-D
Mon 04/09/06 at 09:59
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I hate sprite graphics, 'tactical' games where you put characters on a grid and take turns to mash other characters, and any storyline based on demonology because that's so last decade. Might as play pong on a satanic abacus.

And football games. They haven't changed a bit since Sensible Soccer. It's the same game, same rules, same aim. They might as well release a new updated graphically enhanced surround sound Dolby 5.1 version of Chess from two major publishing houses and an indie every year. Same goes for Ice Hockey, American Football, American College Football, American Basketball, American College Bastketball and anything with Pro Evo, FIFA or ESPN in the title.

And SOCOM II onwards. What's the point of aiming at something, pulling the trigger and missing due to the game being essentially broken? In the original SOCOM what you saw in your sights was what you were going to hit, whether it was leaping off an oil rig, trying to crawl under a rock or running around you in little circles. And I particularly loved the recoil on the M4A1-SD, they just don't make them like that anymore.

Anything with Mario in it.
Mon 04/09/06 at 02:11
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I wouldn't have minded it being rubbish, but the first two games (especially the first) were awesome. I struggle to believe they could actually make such a mess of a third.

They've made another since. I haven't bought it and I don't intend to.
Sun 03/09/06 at 23:47
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Driv3r is also one of the worse game names I've ever come across too.

It's the game equivalent of Gamezville. It's trying to be 'with it' but it really isn't.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.