GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the next step up from 760?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/04/08 at 21:50
Regular
Yep, I'm ready to ditch those 600 by 800 jerks.

So could someone please tell me what width I should be working at now? I guess with the extra room I can finally switch to 3 columns, I'm sure you guys taught me how to do that but I forgot. :(

If only there was some way I could search my old threads in this forum to find the information I need. But as far as I'm aware, no such feature exists.
Fri 02/05/08 at 20:08
Regular
Thanks a lot Virtuo, that's a big help to me. It also gave me some great ideas :D

----

Afraid I have another silly question. How do I change two divs at once again?

#content { width: 100%; }
#content2 ( width: 100%; )

I tried doing...

#content, #content2 { width:100%; }

but I couldnt get it to work. Hmm am I doing something wrong or is this only possible with class divs, I can't remember :S
Fri 02/05/08 at 11:38
Regular
I work at a company running 2 very large websites (3million hits + per week, corporate and gaming), when a liquid scalable design isn't an option, we will always assume a minimum resolution of 1024px. It does depend on your target audience though, we find the people running 800x600 still are either very old or very young, our markets are 18-40 yrs, and statistically we have fewer than 0.1% on 800x600 or less in this age group.

If going fixed width, you need to take into account browser chrome, and the fact not everyone will have their browser maximised. For a 1024x768 screen, we'd go for 980-986px wide.

I'd personally consider some client-side javascript, similar to a lightbox for "expanding" images if they are difficulkt to read at 780 width instead of 850. Then your design doesn't have to change and it'll be an attractive update for your visitors.
Wed 30/04/08 at 15:31
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Yeah, its Without A Clue. Sherlock Holmes is played by Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley is Dr. Watson. 80s movie too btw. As an 80s kid you should know it. :P
Wed 30/04/08 at 15:19
Regular
Sounds familiar, did you remember the title?
Wed 30/04/08 at 01:44
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Young Sherlock Holmes...oh dear.... Now I'm trying to think of the movie where Dr. Watson was the portrayed as the smart one, and Holmes was a fool he employed to cover for him.

And Bill Lumbergh is from Office Space. And I doubt I saw it until maybe 2001 anyway as I remember being in NJ and I got to see the end of it with my partner having to run through the plot for me.

Also my age will forever remain a mystery to you. ;)
Wed 30/04/08 at 01:20
Regular
They were good movies but I also liked Young Sherlock Holmes :) As you're not a 80ies kid I can let you off. So I'll give you a 90ies question. :) Which movie starred Bill Lumbergh. Actually you probably haven't seen that movie either :/ you really should see more films Garin.
Wed 30/04/08 at 01:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Unfortunately I didnt spend the 80s watching every movie that came out. I bet its a rubbish movie anyway. The only thing decent in the 80s that had CGI was Tron and The Last Starfighter. :p
Tue 29/04/08 at 23:18
Regular
And yet you claim to know everything with a brain the size of a planet. :/ what else have you been lying to me about?

I'm practically giving you the answer with this tip. It was the first movie to have a complete CGI character.
Tue 29/04/08 at 23:13
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> I have a problem. My comic needs to be 850 width, so I can't
> design any lower than that without resizing the comic.

As ever, without seeing what you're doing difficult to make useful suggestions. Certainly would never have suggested variable width if I'd known there was a 850px image involved. :)

> Another question, this 80ies film reminds me of Harry Potter,
> infact one of the "bad guys" is a blonde student called
> Dudley. When I think of Professor Snape I imagine him to look
> like Professor Rathe who also stars in this movie. What is the
> name of this movie Garin?

Do I type like I'm IMDB come to life? How do I know. :P
Tue 29/04/08 at 21:26
Regular
I have a problem. My comic needs to be 850 width, so I can't design any lower than that without resizing the comic.

So far it's looking good, it's nice having more room to work with. I also made a few changes to the navigation so it's much easier to use.

Thanks again for you help Garin, by the way Big Trouble in Little China is on tonight at 11pm on Film 4. Just thought I'd mention it if you still couldnt find your DVD ;)

Another question, this 80ies film reminds me of Harry Potter, infact one of the "bad guys" is a blonde student called Dudley. When I think of Professor Snape I imagine him to look like Professor Rathe who also stars in this movie. What is the name of this movie Garin?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.