GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the next step up from 760?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/04/08 at 21:50
Regular
Yep, I'm ready to ditch those 600 by 800 jerks.

So could someone please tell me what width I should be working at now? I guess with the extra room I can finally switch to 3 columns, I'm sure you guys taught me how to do that but I forgot. :(

If only there was some way I could search my old threads in this forum to find the information I need. But as far as I'm aware, no such feature exists.
Fri 09/05/08 at 20:30
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Nothing to worry about. Progress in web development is just taking all the current techniques/technologies and giving them new names.
Fri 09/05/08 at 20:20
Regular
Web 3.0 already? But I haven't even finished my Web 2.0 website. Dammit, I'm gonna have to start all over again :(
Wed 07/05/08 at 18:24
Regular
Hey Garin I'm back :D Thanks a lot for your help again, that site is really useful.

I'm about to do some more work on the site so can you stay by your computer for the next 8 hours incase I need your help again? Cheers!
Sat 03/05/08 at 14:03
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> inheritance? I'm not really familiar with the "inherit"
> command I better look it up.
>
> What I try to do is make sure I dont tell a div to do something
> that its parent is already doing. The W3C strict thing told me
> off for doing that. Now I try to do all that #content1, #content
> 2 stuff (when it works) to keep my CSS file as short as
> possible.

You're familiar with inheritance, you're talking about it in this paragraph. :) Actually though, I should have really said inheritance and selectors. You can cut out an awful lot of class/id declarations by using an elements relative position to assign styles.

> What I will do tomorrow when I do a clean up is search for some
> articles about all this ("how to keep your CSS tidy or
> something") so I can learn a few more things (like what you
> just mentioned to me) and hopefully I can do a better job :)

Google for csstidy, useful for tidying up your code, at least starting the job anyway.

> I would like to be a bit more adventerous with my designing but
> I've drilled the idea into my head that it has to be simple, not
> so much images, no javascript and no dhtml. I did think of those
> expand/collapse scripts to help tidy up my links/social
> bookmarks/etc but I got cold feet and backed away.
>
> oh I do have another question. I tend to use a lot of two column
> divs but they have a habit of messing up the layout. To solve
> this I surround them with a div that does nothing but hold them
> together and align their bottoms, is this acceptable or should I
> be doing it another way?

Its not ideal but nothing wrong with it. Might be better ways to fix your problem, but without seeing the divs within the context of the whole page not alot can be said.
Sat 03/05/08 at 01:55
Regular
inheritance? I'm not really familiar with the "inherit" command I better look it up.

What I try to do is make sure I dont tell a div to do something that its parent is already doing. The W3C strict thing told me off for doing that. Now I try to do all that #content1, #content 2 stuff (when it works) to keep my CSS file as short as possible.

What I will do tomorrow when I do a clean up is search for some articles about all this ("how to keep your CSS tidy or something") so I can learn a few more things (like what you just mentioned to me) and hopefully I can do a better job :)

I would like to be a bit more adventerous with my designing but I've drilled the idea into my head that it has to be simple, not so much images, no javascript and no dhtml. I did think of those expand/collapse scripts to help tidy up my links/social bookmarks/etc but I got cold feet and backed away.

oh I do have another question. I tend to use a lot of two column divs but they have a habit of messing up the layout. To solve this I surround them with a div that does nothing but hold them together and align their bottoms, is this acceptable or should I be doing it another way?

Cheers Garin :)
Sat 03/05/08 at 01:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> That's a great plug-in Garin thank you, it'll really come in
> handy. Unfortunately it's not showing me whats wrong. :/ I've
> been studying it and going through everything in this firebug for
> half an hour and still have no clue.

Well lets see it.

> I'm still getting use to deciding whether to use an id or class.
> Lets say I have 2 div "boxes" but one has a background.
> I do them as class right? What if they're different width or have
> borders? Something very similiar to another div but one or two
> things different? Or can I only use class when it's exactly the
> same? The article said not to go nuts with ids but if ids are
> suppose to be all unique then my pages would be full of ids.

Well remember you can assign something an id and a class, eg
and you can assign multiple classes too like
. So you can extrapolate the common elements to a class (or several) and then stuff the unique elements in an id (or even just apply a style directly if theres not much). Also try to make as much use of inheritance as possible.

> Also I'm working on those embed/URL bars you see on youtube. I
> tried finding out more on google but I didn't know how to phrase
> it so I couldnt find any articles/tutorials. I stole this one
> from a site.
>
> <input type="text" size="40"
> color="#777777" value='http://www.freeola.com'
> onClick="this.focus();this.select();">

>
> But then I've seen it done differently on other sites, YouTube
> even use the
Use whatever works for you, theres no right or wrong way to do this.
Sat 03/05/08 at 01:00
Regular
That's a great plug-in Garin thank you, it'll really come in handy. Unfortunately it's not showing me whats wrong. :/ I've been studying it and going through everything in this firebug for half an hour and still have no clue.

Hmm, I think my only option is to do another clean version and hope that sorts out the problem.

I'm still getting use to deciding whether to use an id or class. Lets say I have 2 div "boxes" but one has a background. I do them as class right? What if they're different width or have borders? Something very similiar to another div but one or two things different? Or can I only use class when it's exactly the same? The article said not to go nuts with ids but if ids are suppose to be all unique then my pages would be full of ids.

Also I'm working on those embed/URL bars you see on youtube. I tried finding out more on google but I didn't know how to phrase it so I couldnt find any articles/tutorials. I stole this one from a site.

<input type="text" size="40" color="#777777" value='http://www.freeola.com' onClick="this.focus();this.select();">

But then I've seen it done differently on other sites, YouTube even use the
tags. So Im not sure what I should be using. I hate the form tags when I'm designing a site.
Fri 02/05/08 at 23:59
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Try firefox (look at the error console), also install Firebug on it and inspect the relevant elements (right click and select inspect element), it'll show you exactly what css is influencing that element.
Fri 02/05/08 at 23:48
Regular
That's odd, it's still not working. The second one cancels out the first (so only content2 works and not content). :/

I checked the rest of my work and there's nothing wrong or missing, no ) instead of } or anything like that.

How annoying :(

Thanks for your help Garin.
Fri 02/05/08 at 23:03
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> #content, #content2 { width:100%; }

Should work, must be something else going on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.