GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo- More Money?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/07/02 at 19:15
Regular
Nintendo continue to bring out console after console after console. Take the GameBoy for example, simple, little hand-held console, amuses kids for hours on end. Parents spend about £69.99 on their kid's GameBoy. Later on, they bring out The GameBoy Colour, the kid wants this as well because Nintendo make great games for it and its got better graphics. So the parents spend another £80 or so on this. Then there's the games, the accessories and all that. Next Nintendo release the GameBoy advance, I'm not sure how much this costs, although my parents spent a lot of money on this for my brother. Then theres the games and accessories for that. My brother has had: Nintendo Console, Super Nintendo, PsOne, now he has a PS2, GameBoy, GameBoy Colour, GameBoy advance.

What I'm trying to say is that when a console has been out for a while, and sales start to go down, they just bring out a new one, and the kid wants that, then another, and the next. My parents have wasted loads of money on these games consoles, but most of them are sitting in our attic getting rusty.

So why dont kids want replacements for PCs, because PC games have been around for years? Parents spend loads of money on these games consoles and they just end up in attics and never get used again after the new one has been brought out.
Tue 16/07/02 at 19:15
Nintendo continue to bring out console after console after console. Take the GameBoy for example, simple, little hand-held console, amuses kids for hours on end. Parents spend about £69.99 on their kid's GameBoy. Later on, they bring out The GameBoy Colour, the kid wants this as well because Nintendo make great games for it and its got better graphics. So the parents spend another £80 or so on this. Then there's the games, the accessories and all that. Next Nintendo release the GameBoy advance, I'm not sure how much this costs, although my parents spent a lot of money on this for my brother. Then theres the games and accessories for that. My brother has had: Nintendo Console, Super Nintendo, PsOne, now he has a PS2, GameBoy, GameBoy Colour, GameBoy advance.

What I'm trying to say is that when a console has been out for a while, and sales start to go down, they just bring out a new one, and the kid wants that, then another, and the next. My parents have wasted loads of money on these games consoles, but most of them are sitting in our attic getting rusty.

So why dont kids want replacements for PCs, because PC games have been around for years? Parents spend loads of money on these games consoles and they just end up in attics and never get used again after the new one has been brought out.
Tue 16/07/02 at 19:24
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Because you can constantly upgrade PCs to make them faster and more powerful. It's basically the same as getting a new console.

And there was also the Gameboy Pocket. I never understood why people bought those to replace their original gameboys. The original was small enough.
Tue 16/07/02 at 19:26
Regular
Your talking crap, I can't be bothered to explain why, but some one else will.

Although I will say this: Every single company in the world is always looking for new ways to make money, look a tht eX-box for heavens sake, Microsfot even admitted it saying:
"The average consumer will buy a new version of Windows/offics etc every two or three years, where as they are likely to buy at least five or six games a year"
And thats the reason they made the X-box, they simply wanted more money. Also Pc's are way more expensive then consoles in the first place, plus they need upgrading to keep up with the times.

Consoles are kept out for at least five years before a new one is released, and Nintendo say the GameCube will be around for seven years before they release a new console, and the reason new ones are brought out are to keep up with the times, you wouldn't want to still be playing games with SNES graphics would you? I think around £200 every five years or so is quite reasonable.
Tue 16/07/02 at 19:55
Regular
Keeping your PC up to date with the latest upgrades is a hell of a lot more expensive than buying a new console every 5 years.
Tue 16/07/02 at 19:56
Microgarlicbread wrote:

> Consoles are kept out for at least five years before a new one is
> released, and Nintendo say the GameCube will be around for seven years
> before they release a new console, and the reason new ones are brought
> out are to keep up with the times, you wouldn't want to still be
> playing games with SNES graphics would you? I think around £200
> every five years or so is quite reasonable.

I have to disagree with that to an extent; there's nothing wrong with SNES games. Well, their graphics may not be state-of-the-art but most of the games came with very original and interesting storylines - Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Super Mario Allstars, the list goes on - from which modern games improvise; and when it comes to games, I think the storyline is very important. You have to have the desire to continue gameplay. Stunning graphics may mesmerize you at first but add no depth to the game itself.

£200 every five years or so IS very reasonable. But why bother when console games (with the exception of handhelds) cost almost twice the price of PC games? A PC is capable of multi-tasking whereas consoles are not.
Tue 16/07/02 at 20:06
I know that they bring out several consoles, and the price may get higher, but the consoles are improving, getting smaller and becoming a lot more convenient. So it's not like we are being ripped off every time we buy a new console, and it makes it more exciting too, with the new, next gen console wars.
Tue 16/07/02 at 20:09
Regular
Yeah well consoles also wouldn't be able to do many things either, how many first person shootes were there on the SNES? I can't think of any, thats a whole genre of games your missing out on. Also more powerful consoles allow enimies to have better A.I, more things on screen at once, more complex ideas. Better graphics isn't even half of what a more powerful console offers.
Tue 16/07/02 at 20:14
Microgarlicbread wrote:
> Yeah well consoles also wouldn't be able to do many things either, how
> many first person shootes were there on the SNES? I can't think of
> any, thats a whole genre of games your missing out on. Also more
> powerful consoles allow enimies to have better A.I, more things on
> screen at once, more complex ideas. Better graphics isn't even half of
> what a more powerful console offers.

The lad has a point. And Gingevitus... No more garlic bread for you! (:)
Tue 16/07/02 at 20:18
Regular
"Unretired"
Well I prefer to be sitting on my bed/comfy chair relaxing playing GC/SNES then sitting on some crappy chair glaring at a 17' screen that gives me a headache and a damn mouse and have to memorize all the keyboard keys and the list goes on. Basically consoles have a far better sit-down-and-play factor, where as PC you have to load up, then you get errors mid game and blah blah.

And I get so gripped and involved with nintys games, where as few PC games give me that satisfaction.

And Consoles are portable (kinda).

(Dont mention laptops)
Tue 16/07/02 at 20:21
Microgarlicbread wrote:

> Yeah well consoles also wouldn't be able to do many things either,
> how
> many first person shootes were there on the SNES? I can't think of
> any, thats a whole genre of games your missing out on. Also more
> powerful consoles allow enimies to have better A.I, more things on
> screen at once, more complex ideas. Better graphics isn't even half
> of
> what a more powerful console offers.

Back in the days of SNES, FPSs didn't exist. I didn't say I play entirely SNES games (!), I just feel they shouldn't be criticized for graphics, patronised for AI or known as pieces of crap.

More powerful consoles = Better AI + complexity = Expensive (compare Xbox to PSOne)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.