GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Real One Player = Real Lame Player?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/07/02 at 09:08
Regular
Does anyone else hate real one player as much as me? Okay it seems to be a necessity these days, buy why does it try to take over your PC at the same time? Does it need to startup when your PC starts up and sit on the tray? Does it need to automatically assign any music or video related files to open with real one, even if if you dont want it to?? Even if you can be bothered to tell it to open the files with a different player, next time you restart they open with real one again! ffs.

Plus I dont think you can run old versions of real player anymore, can you?
Tue 30/07/02 at 18:13
Regular
I'm stilling using RP8, and haven't had any problems yet. That's just as bad, though, it tries to demolish your PC, and sign you up for about 5000 newsletters when you install it.
Tue 30/07/02 at 11:37
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I hate RealPlayer, left as defaults it tries to become everything media related. I still keep it installed, albeit beaten in to a corner so it wont do anythign until I ask, don't find it half as slow as some previous versions, but I still get far too many problems when trying to connect to streaming videos..
Tue 30/07/02 at 10:18
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Well I think Real One player is really good, and at the mo, I'm using it as my web browser because IE6 has decided it wants to live a life of deceit and whenever opened Explorer or IE commits one illegal operation after the other.

Stupid IE6.....
Mon 29/07/02 at 21:58
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> I have a Dell Optiplex at work - supposedly 1.7GHz, but it runs like a
> dog with two broken legs.

Oooooh, has it got one of those troller things so it just skates around?

It's front two feet dangle and the back two push it about...
Mon 29/07/02 at 20:51
Regular
I much prefered the other Real Players. Maybe Real One was made to be hated, but what do I know? :-)
Sat 20/07/02 at 02:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Wookiee, your hard drive may well be slowing it down. CPU isn't the be-all and end-all.

As for Real, I think its streaming media format is exceptionally good, even if you must be tied to RealPlayer. I use the Linux version (obviously) and it runs pretty well. Large video chugs a bit, but on a 333mhz, what doesn't?
Tue 16/07/02 at 12:36
"High polygon count"
Fog wrote:
> WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I find it incredibly slow compared to other software, even on a P4
> 1.7GHz.

Actually, that's probably a little bit of a porkie.

I have a Dell Optiplex at work - supposedly 1.7GHz, but it runs like a dog with two broken legs.

On my MAXX 1.7GHz at home, it is much better.

But I still think it tries to do too much.
Tue 16/07/02 at 12:32
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Darkus wrote:
> Hi fog, long time no speaky.

It's not my fault that you forget about the little people ;)

WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
I find it incredibly slow compared to other software, even on a P4 1.7GHz.

he he, I think it runs very nicely, I have the free trial version but as I said before i've had it for ages, nearly a year infact.

> I also hate the idea of needing to pay a monthly subscription.

I don't pay a penny but then I don't have radio or any of that crazy stuff, I got a hi-fi for that, my dad's paying the BBC for the radio anyway don't see why he'd need to pay Realplayer too.
Tue 16/07/02 at 12:06
"High polygon count"
Apart from all that's been mentioned, I find it incredibly slow compared to other software, even on a P4 1.7GHz. I think it just tries to do far too much, and be far too clever, for its own good.

I also hate the idea of needing to pay a monthly subscription. I was a fully paid-up registered user of RealJukebox, but with RealOne, you have to subscribe monthly for content that I personally don't want, just to get to use all the features. Sorry, but they can F.R.O.!
Tue 16/07/02 at 11:56
Regular
"..."
Cool, will have a mess arounf with the settings tongint. I have installed it and then removed it about 3 times in the past 2 months...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.