GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Future of the Cube"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/07/02 at 19:33
Regular
Since the GameCube has entered the console market, it'd have to be said that there aren't THAT many good games out yet Ok, so there's probably about 10 worth having, and that's not bad considering the console has only been out 2 months. Yes, there's Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin, 2 of the Nintendo creations, but both are a bit short. There's Smash Bros: Melee, which is probably the best game out for the GC so far, but it can't do all the work for the Cube. There's ISS2, Super Monkey Ball, Star Wars: Rogue Leader, Burnout, and NBA Courtside 2002 but compared to the large selection of games Sony have out right now, this is not going to help Nintendo overpower Sony in the sales area. This is what leads me to talk about the future for the Cube...

The Cube has the most promising looking selection of games that'll be out in the near future that has probably ever been seen. By Christmas, there will be at least 150 games in the shops, but the main ones that stand out are Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Turok Evolution, Starfox Adventures, Tony Hawk's 4, Super Monkey Ball 2 and possibly even Phantasy Star Online, and if this isn't as good a set of games that a console could produce in a period of 3 months (end of September to Xmas), then I don't know what is. Later on I'll explain what the Big N has in store for us in 2003 and beyond.

Mario Sunshine is now about 95% complete, and will be out in Japan at the end of this month, and then there will be a delay between Japan and us, but hardly a big delay. Only about 2 or 3 months, which isn't as bad as it all used to be (grimaces at old N64 delays) before the game reaches British shores. Nice.

Turok Evolution, despite going multi-format, should be a nice remeinder of the first Turok game on the N64, and a fair few Cube owners will indeed snap it up to get back to the old dinorsaur hunting! It's due out around the same time as Mario Sunshine, which unfortunetly for it, could affect it's sales.

Starfox Adventures will be the first game released that Rare have taken part in making for the GC. I know Starfox Adventures isn't a game made completely by Rare, but hopefully it'll still contain a touch of their magic. Due out around Christmas.

After jumping out of sight for a while, Metroid Prime is back, and Samus's adventure could hardly look better! The graphics have been given a nice boost, and Samus's first FPS looks to be a right cracker! Also set for a release date around Christmas.

Tony Hawk's 4 should be just as much of an update as TH3 was to TH2, but with Bob Burnquist back in the game, loads of new levels and nicer visuals than before, TH4 should be a lot better than it's proceeder.

We know what to expect of Super Monkey Ball 2. More monkey's in balls rolling around lots of levels (that should be bigger and better than before) in what'll be the biggest and hopefully best puzzle game for the GC yet! It'll make you go bananas! (Sorry. :D)

Now, what is the schedule looking like for the GameCube beyond Santa Claus's arrival? Well, next year, we'll see the Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart GC, 1080 Snowboarding 2, F-Zero GC, Resident Evil Zero, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero and Mario Golf GC. Possibly even Donkey Kong Racing, although nothing has been seen of this for nearly a year. And even, though it's highly unlikely, a Final Fantasy game! Now is that a great line-up or what???

Not much can be said on any of those games yet though, as Mario Kart GC, F-Zero GC, Mario Golf and Kameo only exist through videos, and Perfect Dark Zero only consists of a few screenshots, but they are still all set to be ready by the end of 2003. Legend of Zelda, Resident Evil Zero and 1080 2 are expected to be out quite early in the year 2003, and certainly they'll do the Cube well! Especially Celda!

From what I've said, you can tell The Future's Bright - The Future's GameCube!

AJ.
Wed 17/07/02 at 22:45
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I didn't want to include too many games.

The post would just've gone on for ages.
Wed 17/07/02 at 22:34
Regular
Good post but you missed out quite a few games worth mentioning:

Eternal Darkness
Wario World
Jedi Knight II
Medal of Honour
Die Hard Vendetta
SSX Tricky
Colin McRae Rally

I know some of these are multi-format but its important to mention that the GC has a lot of the best games from other formats too.
Wed 17/07/02 at 21:39
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
redeyez wrote:
> The original poster seems to ignore the fact that the gamecube has
> been out just under a year in japan and also theres some great games
> out that just haven't been released over here yet(RE,ED,mario in under
> a week).I don't like having a dig at people but this post consisted of
> second-hand news and didn't really contain opinions just old news....

---

I wasn't ignoring the fact the the GC has been out quite a short space of time when compared to Sony. I mentioned GC not being out as long as them 2 or 3 times in the original post.

It wasn't meant to be news to anyone, I was meant to be stating some facts that I thought proved the GC has lots of hope in the future, and could well come out first by the end of this console war.

Read properly instead of blatantly accusing people!
Wed 17/07/02 at 18:46
The original poster seems to ignore the fact that the gamecube has been out just under a year in japan and also theres some great games out that just haven't been released over here yet(RE,ED,mario in under a week).I don't like having a dig at people but this post consisted of second-hand news and didn't really contain opinions just old news....
Wed 17/07/02 at 18:41
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I think it's important to bear in mind that, graphically, the Gamecube is outmatching the PS2 already. Metal Gear Solid 2 was impressive, but compared to the likes of Rogue Leader, Waverace e.t.c. it's pretty standard looking. Gran Turismo 3 may be a visual wonder but in terms of gameplay it doesnt match the fun or speed of both Burnout and Waverace - it's kinda nice to look at but thats it.

Of course, it's not just about the graphics is it ? Gameplay and variety of games plays a big part too, but as even previously "Death To The Gamecube" Sony owners like me have found out, Nintendo have no worries on that front !

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 17/07/02 at 14:43
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Of course at this moment in time, the PS2 is a long long way ahead of the competition, but once GC has been out for a couple of years, I don't see how it won't catch up with the PS2 sales...
Wed 17/07/02 at 10:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yep, with the future looking so good while not all that far away, the GameCube looks set to finnish no.2 behind the PS2 - if it can't knock the PS2 off the top of course!
And who's to say it can't!
With a line-up THAT impressive so early, there's gotta be even more hope for the future! :D

I personally can't wait 'till next summer! :D
And it's safe to say there's currently no Nintendo game planned for the future that looks 'un-impressive' - not even Doshin the Giant!
Wed 17/07/02 at 10:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Starlight wrote:
> AfroJoe wrote:
> I'm waiting to see more on Kameo.
>
> Knowing it's Rare, it could possibly be a brilliant game!
>
> Kameo will rock more than Noah's Ark!

---

Yes, yes. Of course it will. :-)
Wed 17/07/02 at 00:52
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
AfroJoe wrote:
> I'm waiting to see more on Kameo.
>
> Knowing it's Rare, it could possibly be a brilliant game!

Kameo will rock more than Noah's Ark!
Tue 16/07/02 at 23:15
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Super Monkey Ball was very good when it first came out, and it's very addictive too so it lasts quite a large amount of time, but it's not too good now. A little boring.

Super Monkey Ball 2 will rule though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.