GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD Collection...What's in yours?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/07/02 at 19:20
Regular
I've been a DVD'ist for about a year now and now have about 60 or so in my collection. Admittedly, not everyone a classic so i'll try to blame all the suspect discs on someone else. The first one I got was Men in Black, obtained some eight months before I got my DVD player. Try as I might, I couldn't get a decent picture using it on my CD player. Mind you I got an even worse result using it in my video recorder! No, not really, I just knew that I would buy a DVD player eventually and Men in Black was secured thanks to a winning bid on the old Coke Auctions site. I only had to drink forteen million gallons of fizzy drink to get it too. What a bargain! Top film and disc though. I also got Deep Blue Sea in the same Auction. When I eventually splashed out on my player, it came with two free films, namely X-Men and Erin Brokovich. Being a bit of a fan of weird mutant like creatures, I was happy to get a Julia Roberts film and X-Men is a favourite of mine too. Good old Filmaday has contributed some eight or nine films to my collection including High Fidelity, The World is Not Enough, Lake Placid and Charlie's Angels. I chose the latter of these having not previously seen the film and this was probably the first disappointing addition to my collection, but there were more to follow. Being a bit of an Internet competition fan, I have won several DVD's from various sites including the abysmal Duets ( Gwyneth Paltrow singing? ) and Space Cowboys ( begs the question, why? ).
Some of my favourites include Hollow Man, Terminator 2, What Lies Beneath, The Thing and Best in Show. Hollow Man is the perfect film for DVD, offering endless bonus material as well as brilliant special effects. Terminator 2 sits proudly atop my DVD stand in it's tin box. Mind you it wouldn't matter what film it was, I just love the tin box! What Lies Beneath wasn't a widely applauded film but I like it anyway. The Thing is an all time classic and when I saw it in the shops for next to nothing, I just had to have it. For an old film in DVD terms, it has a generous helping of extras. Best value for money DVD in my collection. Best in Show is one that not many will have heard of and is a documentary style film about a dog show and various odd characters involved in it. Very funny.
Before going any further, I have a confession to make. Amongst my collection is a Steps DVD...there, i've said it. It's my girlfriends, honest. If ever there was an argument to go back in time to the silent classics!
Since I discovered DVD my visits to the cinema have become almost non existent. As a result I do tend to buy DVD's before i've seen them, sometimes regrettably. I hadn't seen Tomb Raider before buying it and was very disappointed with the movie. Suffice to say I have only watched it once. The same goes for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I just can't see the appeal.
Being a family man ( by the way, that's another title I won on this website) I have many family films. The brilliant Shrek, the impressive Harry Potter thingy, the for kids only Cats and Dogs and the terrible Grinch.
So what of the future then. I have a list as long as my arm of films i'm waiting for. The new Star Wars, Spider Man, The Others, Lord of the Rings ( not long to wait now ) and From Hell are just a few that will one day be added to my list. Just watch some jerk go and invent a new medium to view films on now and i'll have it all to do again.
Tue 16/07/02 at 08:55
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
and erm..the ones I forgot were

Bon Jovi One Wild Night
Smashing Pumpkins
Tomb Raider
The Mummy
The Mummy returns
Tue 16/07/02 at 08:50
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
American Pie 2
Blaze
Blood: the last vampire
Coupling Season 1
The Frightners
Ghost in the Shell
Ghostbusters
Ghostbuster 2
Ginger Bites
Harry Potter
Legally Blonde
Ninja Scroll
Princess Mononoki
Shrek
Simpsons Season 1
Terminator 2 special edition
Tue 16/07/02 at 01:24
Regular
"One Of A Kind"
I have a massive dvd collection of.....

Wait for it...

One Dvd

and this american pie 2. I rent some out but just dont seem to need to buy dvds
Tue 16/07/02 at 00:39
Regular
".......on the attac"
I've got Goodfellas on DVD.

What kind of DVD makes you change over half way through? Very disappointing....
Tue 16/07/02 at 00:23
Regular
*shows respect for Mojo's Dawn and Evil Dead collection*
Mon 15/07/02 at 23:52
Regular
"That's right!"
Ah yes, it was the Matrix I forgot, but I have a feeling there's another one I haven't listed...

Anyway, my DVD isn't multi-regional, so forgive my pitiful collection, it would be a LOT bigger if I could get R1 DVDs
Mon 15/07/02 at 23:48
Regular
"That's right!"
Had my DVD player just over half a year, and I'm the only one in the family who buys them nowadays

Enemy At The Gates
Pearl Harbour
Evolution
Face Off
Gone In 60 Seconds
101 Dalmations (we got it free, don't laugh)
Robocop Trilogy
Die Hard 1+2
Die Hard With A Vengeance
Dawn Of The Dead
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Crimson Tide
Armageddon
Swordfish
The Rock
The Thing
Goodfellas
The Lost Boys

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two... I'll post them if I remember them
Mon 15/07/02 at 22:08
Regular
Harry Potter
Planet of the Apes
Mick Foley

my collection is far superior to yours
Mon 15/07/02 at 22:04
O.K.

-Episode I. The Phantom menace
-Almost Famous
-O Brother where art thou?
-The Man who wasn't there.
-Dogma
-Things to do in Denver when your dead
-Blair Witch 2. Book of shadows
-The Shawshank Redemption
-One Flew over the Cuckoos nest
-Ghostbusters
-Bladerunner
-The Usual suspects

Quality rather than quantity methinks,(Apart from Blair witch two perhaps)
Mon 15/07/02 at 21:29
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
CDouch wrote:
> Why do you have two copies of Blair witch?

Ah ! So two have read it lol :) I ment one to be Blair Witch 2 Book Of Shadows....yes it sucks....

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.