GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cel shaded graphics, better or worse??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/02 at 09:49
Regular
Hi, everyone
I have been looking at mnay reviews of Zelda as i would like to get it, but i am put off by the cel shaded graphics, other games have got them too and i don't think they look as good, i mean does FFX look better than Zelda, of course, but then this is just my opinion and i wondered what other people thought of the new style Graphics

Hopefully, most games will stay as they are, but i will have to wait and see if playingonZelda will change my mind, but what does everybody think about the graphics, i am sure most people love them as all the Mags do but personally they just don't look as good, fair enough they still look good and give the games a certain........ something but i would rather have life like people and good cartoon graphics like on some GC games but Zelda still looks like a game i want to get!

Will i chnge my mind? I don't know but only time will tell!
Now for your opinions
Sat 13/07/02 at 17:59
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm not totally against cel-shading, infact I think there are some games which suit the graphical style very well, but I think it's now being used too much.

The first games to use this graphical tecnique, such as Jet Set Radio looked amazing, as did a few cel-shaded games which came after it, but the more games which decided to use it, the less impressive the graphics became.

There's no real way to improve upon cel-shading, so it kind of makes cel-shaded games of today look almost exactly like cel-shaded games of a few years ago. It's like a craze, in that when it first appeared, everyone loved it as it was a fresh and new idea, but it quickly passes to a stage where people want more, and tire of the same thing.

Cel-shading might look impressive in some cases, but it also looks old.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:06
Regular
"$hit happens"
Yea, the detail is good, but i am asking do ou like he Zelda graphics or the FFX graphics more?
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:02
Regular
I'm very happy with the Zelda graphics, at first I wasn't shough then I saw the video from E3 and they looked amazing. I can understanf a lot of people are gonna be sceptical about them, but trust me look at the amount of detail on the boss in the video and just tell me that isn't amazing.
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:56
Regular
"$hit happens"
So do you prefer FFX graphics or Zelda graphics, and why?
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:53
Regular
Dave RJR wrote:
> I think cel-shading is over rated. When i see the footage of the new
> jet set radio on x-box i just think what a waste. Back to cartoons -
> in a big way - and just for the sake of it. Even though its sharper,
> it just looks like the DC version because they both use cel-shading.
> Cartoon games in their place is fine, but don’t stick the effect on
> every game out there - PLEASE.

I think Dave is away in his own little world that makes no sense. I'd prefer games to be Cell Shaded instead of making no sense a bit like Dave here.
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:48
Regular
I think cel-shading is over rated. When i see the footage of the new jet set radio on x-box i just think what a waste. Back to cartoons - in a big way - and just for the sake of it. Even though its sharper, it just looks like the DC version because they both use cel-shading. Cartoon games in their place is fine, but don’t stick the effect on every game out there - PLEASE.
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:46
Regular
"$hit happens"
I have to agree with the step back in time and i think you and me are two of few people who think the same!
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:13
"High polygon count"
I've been against cel-shading, because I see it as a backwards step. We spent ages with 2D games, and were all astounded by the move to 3D. So in these days of enhanced 3D technology, what the hell is the point of making a 3D game that looks 2D? It just doesn't make sense!

I don't like the look of the forthcoming '13' (cel-shaded FPS) because I don't think the style suits FPS games at all. The same applies to 'Auto Modellista', because it just doesn't look right. I want to play a game, not a comic-book!

Having said that, there is one cel-shaded game which I think I'm almost certain to buy: 'Sly Cooper and the Thievus Raccoonus' - a cel-shaded platform game, coming soon to the PS2.

This game looks like great fun, and the style of game - the whole design of it - seems completely suited to cel-shading.
Sat 13/07/02 at 14:21
Regular
"$hit happens"
I am not put off completely but i still would like to see it in motion, but would you prefer it to be like FF graphics, or cel shaded?
Sat 13/07/02 at 13:50
Regular
"Selected"
Commercially, it was a super-duper move by Nintendo, loads of hype and what not. I don't think we'd be talking about the new Zelda as much as we are if it had followed suit of the previous games in terms of graphics.

Personally, they could release the game as a drawing on the back of a cereal box and I'd still buy it.

Have some faith will ya.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.