GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cel shaded graphics, better or worse??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/02 at 09:49
Regular
Hi, everyone
I have been looking at mnay reviews of Zelda as i would like to get it, but i am put off by the cel shaded graphics, other games have got them too and i don't think they look as good, i mean does FFX look better than Zelda, of course, but then this is just my opinion and i wondered what other people thought of the new style Graphics

Hopefully, most games will stay as they are, but i will have to wait and see if playingonZelda will change my mind, but what does everybody think about the graphics, i am sure most people love them as all the Mags do but personally they just don't look as good, fair enough they still look good and give the games a certain........ something but i would rather have life like people and good cartoon graphics like on some GC games but Zelda still looks like a game i want to get!

Will i chnge my mind? I don't know but only time will tell!
Now for your opinions
Sat 13/07/02 at 09:49
Regular
"$hit happens"
Hi, everyone
I have been looking at mnay reviews of Zelda as i would like to get it, but i am put off by the cel shaded graphics, other games have got them too and i don't think they look as good, i mean does FFX look better than Zelda, of course, but then this is just my opinion and i wondered what other people thought of the new style Graphics

Hopefully, most games will stay as they are, but i will have to wait and see if playingonZelda will change my mind, but what does everybody think about the graphics, i am sure most people love them as all the Mags do but personally they just don't look as good, fair enough they still look good and give the games a certain........ something but i would rather have life like people and good cartoon graphics like on some GC games but Zelda still looks like a game i want to get!

Will i chnge my mind? I don't know but only time will tell!
Now for your opinions
Sat 13/07/02 at 10:00
Regular
The new Zelda game will be magical and brilliant regardless of the graphics.
Personally I like cel-shading, and it's important to remember that cel-shaded graphics always look much better when you see them in motion.
Screenshots of cel-shaded graphics never look that good.
If you've ever seen the screenshots of Jet Set Radio and then played the game you'll know what I mean.
Zelda will be fine: it'll be detailed, colourful and as smooth as silk.
Sat 13/07/02 at 10:03
Regular
"I like cheese"
As I always say, the new Zelda shots look like Shiggsy decided to get the crayons out. :D

Personally, I don't mind them too much, but I really don't like those Zelda shots. Nintys will call them 'original', supposedly like everything else on the GC, but why not just stick to 'normal' graphics? I'd rather not play in a cartoon, thanks.

You'll just have to hope the gameplay lives up to expectations, which it obviously has done before.
Sat 13/07/02 at 10:09
Regular
Hey Sir Auron. This is a bit of a tricky topic. Well, not really (im tired and confused).

Here's my opinion. There are a few games being released with cel shaded graphics. Zeldand and that cool racer for the PS2. These are the two biggest games with the cel shading effect.

For the racing game it look pretty cool and it's a change from all the 'hyper-realisim' we find in every other game. I mean, in the mayhem of the three next-gen consoles, we have forgotten about great 'non-realistic games'. Games without photo realistic cities and face masking.

I think the GC will bring back these. With Smash Bro's melee and the like, GC could spark a 'cartoonish' phase.

But considering I have a PS2, I have to vote for that. The racing game looks pretty cool and has realistic handline, suspension, etc. Just like a lot of other games but because of the cel shading it looks a lot cooler in my view. But too much of it and you would get sick of it. But it is a nice change to the gaming genres.

PS2-P
Sat 13/07/02 at 13:03
"Stupid Newbie :D"
It depends on how well it is pulled off when the game hits final release. For games like Jet Set Radio cell shading worked wonders, and looked nice, and if Nintendo were trying to recreate the kitsch feel of Link to the Past on the SNES but in a 3D environment it'd be pretty amazing. But from the footage I've seen it doesn't look as great as it should, everything is pretty good, except for Link who looks thoroughly dodgy - they might refine it a bit more before release though so you can only wait and see. I don't see why they scrapped the original look for it though, the E3 clip of Link fighting Ganondorf for the original look was pretty amazing. :(

The plus to using cell shading instead of renderer killing visuals though, is that the game can be even bigger as a result of it, and you can stick more stuff onscree at one time - so you'll probably end up with a hulking game where you can be set upon by around 50 moblins at once.
Sat 13/07/02 at 13:07
Regular
I don't really like the cel shading, but it's not enough to put me off a game. Ninty always manage to pull off a decent game, and it's originality that's their trademark. I trust them.
Sat 13/07/02 at 13:34
I know what you mean. I was looking through a Gamecube mag the other day (didn't buy it of course, just looked) and I was heard to remark 'what have they done to Link?)

However, on closer inspection of some of the screenshots I have seen on the web I am warming to the style.

I guess It's just not how I expect a Zelda game to look. If it was a totally new game I am guessing that there wouldn't be much as much of a discusion.
Sat 13/07/02 at 13:50
Regular
"Selected"
Commercially, it was a super-duper move by Nintendo, loads of hype and what not. I don't think we'd be talking about the new Zelda as much as we are if it had followed suit of the previous games in terms of graphics.

Personally, they could release the game as a drawing on the back of a cereal box and I'd still buy it.

Have some faith will ya.
Sat 13/07/02 at 14:21
Regular
"$hit happens"
I am not put off completely but i still would like to see it in motion, but would you prefer it to be like FF graphics, or cel shaded?
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:13
"High polygon count"
I've been against cel-shading, because I see it as a backwards step. We spent ages with 2D games, and were all astounded by the move to 3D. So in these days of enhanced 3D technology, what the hell is the point of making a 3D game that looks 2D? It just doesn't make sense!

I don't like the look of the forthcoming '13' (cel-shaded FPS) because I don't think the style suits FPS games at all. The same applies to 'Auto Modellista', because it just doesn't look right. I want to play a game, not a comic-book!

Having said that, there is one cel-shaded game which I think I'm almost certain to buy: 'Sly Cooper and the Thievus Raccoonus' - a cel-shaded platform game, coming soon to the PS2.

This game looks like great fun, and the style of game - the whole design of it - seems completely suited to cel-shading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.