GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Contents of Latest OPS2M"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/02 at 09:37
Regular
Just received the latest copy of OPS2M in the post.

Demo Disc Contents

Playable Demos

Stuntman
Project Zero
Men in Black 2
Fireblade
Army Men RTS

Game Footage

Onimusha 2
Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure
Red Dead Revolver
Superman
Freekstyle
Eve of Extinction
SOCOM: Navy Seals
Sly Raccoon
Formula One 2002
WRC Series 2002

Previews

Colin McRae Rally 3.0
Conflict Desert Storm
Run Like Hell
Riding Spirits
Dino Stalker
Men in Black 2

Reviews

Stuntman 8/10
GT Concept 6/10
Barbarian 7/10
Freekstyle 6/10
Aggressive Inline 8/10
Le Tour de France 5/10
Star Trek Voyager 4/10
Scooby-Doo 6/10
Armored Core 2 7/10
Transworld Sport 6/10
Circus Maximus 6/10
Endgame 3/10
Kings Field 3/10
Slam Tennis 7/10
Sven's World Challenge 1/10
Next Gen Tennis 4/10

Promised for next months Demo disc

Toca Race Driver
Conflict Desert Storm
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:10
Regular
Cheers Wookiee - I'll get the demo as soon as possible. The bad points it gave weren't too bad at all.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:02
"High polygon count"
Mr President wrote:
> It sounds great - what reasons did OPSM2 give for the 8/10 score?

"Why we'd buy it"
- Takes the driving game to new levels
- Fantastic vehicular accuracy
- Just one more go... please!

"Why we'd leave it"
- It's demanding and linear nature can be a bit much
- Later levels become a little frustrating

Graphics - 9
Explosions, frighteningly accurate cars.

Sound - 8
Twanging banjos, screaming metal. Magic.

Gameplay - 8
Great when you succeed, infuriating otherwise.

Life span - 8
Tons to see and do (and redo)

Overall - 8
The synergy between detail, subject and gameplay borders on genius. It could be limited by players' frustration or its one type of driving experience.

----------

Personally, I think it should be obvious to people what they're getting with this game, and that it has the potential to be very frustrating.

If you think you would like this game and are willing to persevere, then I don't see how you can go wrong. I highly recommend getting the mag for the demo, just to make yourself sure.

Oh - and the replays are awesome! :-)
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:56
Regular
"  "
Sounds like the one on the PSW disk. The cannon roll looks well ace :D
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:45
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> KR wrote:
> Anyways is Stuntman any good if you have played it?
>
> Brilliant!

It sounds great - what reasons did OPSM2 give for the 8/10 score?
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:42
"High polygon count"
KR wrote:
> Anyways is Stuntman any good if you have played it?

Brilliant!

The demo is a section from filming "The Scarab of Lost Souls", an Indiana Jones type film. You're driving a Jeep, and need to get through a small town, avoiding the military (presumably Nazi's - I haven't really checked) tanks and armoured vehicles.

You start by crashing through a barrier and overtaking a truck, before swinging hard left, at which point you need to hit and bounce off of another truck.

Then you crash through market stalls and boxes and need to avoid an explosion caused by the tank firing at you. There's a tank in the road, so you have to do a 180-degree handbrake turn and take off in the other directrion. Avoid an explosions, and head into a dead-end, pulling another 180-degree turn. Jump some steps and head off again.

As you get up some speed, an APC crashes through a wall into your path, so it's nother 180 and back where you came from, swinging left and ploughing through more market stalls.

Avoid another tank at the end of the road, then another explosion, and head up a slope (or the steps next to it!) and through a narrow alley, jumping down more steps.

Take off againm, and as you take a gentle right, a parked truck blocks your path, and another tries to ram you. So you need to squeeze the jeep through the narrow gap between the parked truck and the wall of a building.

Get past that, and you can head out of town. As you reach the end of your run, you must perform a 'cannon roll' by pressing L1 (Action Button) as you pass through the finish zone. This fires a charge under the Jeep, which launches the car into an airborn barrel roll.

All this in a couple of minutes!

It is incredibly frustrating, but realistically so. If you miss a 'mark' in the stunts, you have to restart from the beginning - but you would in a film anyway, because the stunts need to flow.

I was really cursing it at some points, but I just had to have that "one more go", because you do get better as you play through. The handling is just like the Driver games, and you get a real buzz when you successfully complete a stunt sequence.

If you can't handle frustration, you may not want to get the game when it's out; but if you don't mind putting in some concentrated effort, the game should prov to be extremely rewarding. It *is* very linear, but there's no way of avoiding that. You're supposed to be making films, and films ARE linear.

But then in the final game, there's always the Stunt Arena mode! :-)

I have planned to get this game since it was first announced, and this demo now has me wishing my life away for September to get here. I think I'll try hibernating!
Sat 13/07/02 at 12:57
Regular
bobby flagpole wrote:
> What's F1 2002 like?? And WRC 2002??
>
WRC is just videos of this year's championship, no PS2 footage

F1 2002 has no in game racing footage, just cars lined up on the grid, flybys of the tracks etc. It says it is upto date with the new cars, drivers and tracks.

On another note I would have to agree with Wookiee that Sly Raccoon loks very good. Very much like Crash Bandicoot, but you needs to sneek around in the shadows and use barrels to cover yourself to avoid capture. Lots of jumping and collecting of tokens.
Sat 13/07/02 at 12:35
ARGGHHH!!! So why does only ONE person in the whole world ever have this issue of the mag??? Well maybe I'm exagerating a bit but still.
What's F1 2002 like?? And WRC 2002??

Cheers!
Sat 13/07/02 at 11:29
Regular
"  "
Shadow wrote:
> Devil-Bøy wrote:
> Oh and shadow is that F1 video the official F1 or the one made by
> EA?
>
> It is not the EA one but rather the SCEE one.

Awesome! Does it look any good?
Sat 13/07/02 at 11:03
Regular
Ok thanks. My bro will be pleased about that.
Sat 13/07/02 at 10:58
Regular
Devil-Bøy wrote:
> Oh and shadow is that F1 video the official F1 or the one made by EA?

It is not the EA one but rather the SCEE one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.