GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Hell"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/07/02 at 18:06
Regular
Gamers are in genre heaven at this point in the gaming timeline. There’s every sim’ you can think of, any sport, arcade games, racers, shoot ‘em ups, beat ‘em ups, wash ‘em ups.. well, maybe not yet. You can bet though that you’ll find at least something you enjoy. There’s one thing, though, that all of these games have in common – they hurt.

Of course, it’s not the actual game that hurts you – we’re a few light years away from achieving that goal, it’s the battle of wits between you and your console. If you lose you kick the radiator, punch the wall, or simply roll over and start banging your head on the floor – and it hurts. Let me give you an example:

It’s 22:00, you’ve been playing this game all day, your eyes water and bulge and your sweaty and aching thumbs move over the buttons placed on the controller in – as you’ve confirmed in your mind – really stupid places. It’s level 100, just the final boss to go, the one thing standing in the way of you completing the game on Extra Ultra Extreme mode. Yes! Just one more punch and you’re going to do it, just one more, don’t mess up now, just one more.. What was that? The sword came out of nowhere, a quick stab to the heart and you’re down. It’s over. You lost. You start to anger, you can feel it boiling up inside you. Now it’s gone back to just a 20 minute level and a really rubbish boss standing in your way. He beat you, but he’s still the rubbish one. He cheated anyway. You begin to calm down when the words ‘Game Over’ flash across the screen, read out by a voice with a somewhat mocking tone. That was it. You snap. How dare they? You hurl your controller to the floor in rage and kick it a good few times across the room before kicking the television – hard.. and it hurts.

Catch my drift? We’ve all been there. Well, apart from the super-human breed of ‘sensible’ gamers who say enough is enough, turn off the console and do something else. As I see it, there are two types of gamers. The ‘addicted’ gamer, who keeps going and going, and the ‘sensible’ gamer who possesses some kind of powerful skill, which makes life a lot more ‘cost-effective’, especially where controllers are concerned. As for me, I’d say that I’m of the addicted group, along with almost everyone I know.

So, unfortunately, if you’re an addict, you’ll somehow find a flaw in every single game, be continually using plasters for those cut knuckles and sprained toes and go through controllers like there’s no tomorrow. If you’re sensible count your lucky stars, blessings or whatever, ‘cause nothing’s going to annoy you. Why does it agitate you though? Too many people go through it for it to be just the person. Maybe it’s that we’re a nation of –aholics and addicts or maybe it’s something in the game. You buy it to have fun. If it’s not possible, it’s not fun, and it annoys you. Maybe when Electronic Arts say ‘it’s in the game’, it’s something sinister and evil. Whatever it is though, it works, and is damn good at it.

I have not yet found one game that doesn’t agitate the hell out of me in some way – even the really good ones. Metal Gear Solid 2 suddenly becomes the worst game in the world when you can’t defeat Solidus on European Extreme mode and Grand Theft Auto makes you actually want to grab an M16 and go on a rampage through the nearby town. It really puzzles me as to what is in each individual game that can annoy me to the point of pain, and if anyone has any theories, post them quick, so a vaccine can be developed. Until then, watch what you play, ‘cause the games are out to hurt you.
Thu 18/07/02 at 19:57
I don't even wanna mention what happens with Pikmin discs and, god forbid, the Postman Pat game. Imagine all those paper cuts...
Thu 18/07/02 at 19:18
Regular
Lol. Every minute I think my GameCube's gonna pounce.
Thu 18/07/02 at 06:10
SolidSnakeXXI wrote:
> Just think, inside every GTA3 disc, there's a little Mafia boss
> planning his next attack on you.

In every Mario disc, Bowser is out to get you.
In every Sonic disc, Dr. Robotnik (Eggman, whatever) is after you.
In every Smash Bros. disc, there's a whole hoard of characters practising their moves out for the next time you play...

And imagine if you were wearing one of those rumble-vests. You'd feel the pain physically, as well as mentally!

SD
Wed 17/07/02 at 18:55
Regular
All by myself...
Tue 16/07/02 at 20:58
Regular
SSXXI: [Gets up and headbutts J Savo]
J Savo: [Dies]
SSXXI: That's for making me miss my high score on Microsoft 3D Pinball![punches PC]
Mon 15/07/02 at 08:22
Regular
"how long have i got"
what happened to the little sibs we were about to charge at them.

think they read this and ran away.

Damn you SSXXI

*hits SSXXI*

*then hits him were the sun dont shine*

*then pokes him in the eye*

*then Points And Laughs While Rolling All Over The Floor*

PALWRAOTF
Sun 14/07/02 at 21:13
Regular
Most of the time though, it's yourself and you know it, you only think of an excuse so it's easier to cope with.
Sun 14/07/02 at 21:11
Regular
"how long have i got"
I reckon this should be called the little sibs forum
Sun 14/07/02 at 21:02
Regular
Yep, Pets, Sibs, anything can trigger an outbreak of ranting and raving. I entered the web address from the 'most addictive online game ever' thread and withing minutes I was punching my screen in fury.
Sun 14/07/02 at 19:52
Regular
"how long have i got"
i was in the middle of a game and my dog came along and chewed on the wire and the power got cut off by him.

i booted him but he is OK, didn't get a lecky shock or nothin' he's just limping

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.