GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Be Green-er"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/04/08 at 13:03
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Ok, all these years of maintaining that hippyman is not a hippy, he is going to post a thread that somehow undoes all that.

Currently, I am scared stiff of using anything electrical due to the recurring adverts on TV that the world is going to be doomed with global warming with the seas boiling away until we are all vaporised. Plus I am increasingly aware of the ever rising price of gas and electricity (not directly, but quite often I've had to prise the power bill away from my parents' hands after they've enarly passed out on how much they have to pay).

So, more down to guilt of using power than wanting to single-handedly save the world, I've gathered a list of ways to help your home to be energy efficient and save you money. Maybe that way I can rid the guilt... Please feel free to post your own ways of doing this, and I'll update the list if it takes off. Maybe it's something the freeola offices may even consider doing.

Most of these are known, but it's a start:

Don't use the standby function 8-10% of all electricity used in the home is used to power appliances on standby. Turning off fully can save the typical household £37 a year and if the whole nation does it, we can save 4m tonnes of excess CO2 being released into the atmosphere.

Link to source
Stats from the BBC (Thanks pb)

Switch off at the plug Many devices use a power adapter that remains on constantly even though they are not being used. On average, 10 of these are plugged in around the clock in every home, which means an extra 360KWh of wasted energy a year.

Switch out the lights Easy thing to do and can save £££. Average bulb uses 60W an hour. Turning it off for an extra hour per day will save 22,000W over the year. Also stop to think if it is necessary for a light to be on.

Energy efficient light bulbs as 10-15% of all electricity used in the household is usually for the lighting, using a lower power bulb can save £££. In fact, a typical energy efficient bulb can save £100 over the lifetime of the bulb. Most use 80% less power, yet still can provide the same amount of lighting, as well as lasting 10-12 times longer.

Don't boil more than you need Not only will it mean your water will boil much quicker, you save a lot of power by not boiling the water you don't actually need. Find out how much water you need by filling the container with water and pouring that into the kettle (plus a little bit to compensate for evaporation).

Foil back radiators To reflect the heat of your radiator back in. This is particularly important on outer walls as it stops the heat escaping outside. This will mean less energy is wasted and will mean less £££ spent on the heating.

Wear a jumper rather than putting on the heating or turning up the thermostat. Try adjusting it so the heating is used for two hours less a day and see how much it saves you.

Hang dry clothing rather than use a tumble drier or equivalent. Best done outdoors as it freshens the clothing as well, but if it's wet, hang them to dry indoors - away from radiators, so that you can maintain the efficiency of them for heating the room.

Keep the fridge freezer full As this makes it more efficient and means the motor actually has to work less to keep everything cold. If you don't have a full fridge as shopping day is around the corner, fill up bottles of water or carrier bags full of newspaper to help fill the space.

1oC less can make a difference Turn the thermostat down by just 1 degree, combined with using the heating less will again save energy and money.

Get your boiler serviced at least once a year This will help keep it as efficient as possible. The cost of a service is usually much less than the cost of the extra fuel the boiler would otherwise burn over the course of the year. (Eccles)

Loft insulation Fairly cheap from most DIY stores and relatively easy to install. Make sure it's at least 2.5" thick and goes over any rafters and not just between them. Oh and while you're up in the roof space: Lag your water pipes. (Eccles)

Cool store for Eco things (I don't care if these are eco, some seem pretty cool for what they are)

Recycled products lead to an eco lifestyle, which we must all improve one small step every day. Recycling and then buying products made from recycled materials is key! (Geoecostore)
Mon 21/04/08 at 13:03
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Ok, all these years of maintaining that hippyman is not a hippy, he is going to post a thread that somehow undoes all that.

Currently, I am scared stiff of using anything electrical due to the recurring adverts on TV that the world is going to be doomed with global warming with the seas boiling away until we are all vaporised. Plus I am increasingly aware of the ever rising price of gas and electricity (not directly, but quite often I've had to prise the power bill away from my parents' hands after they've enarly passed out on how much they have to pay).

So, more down to guilt of using power than wanting to single-handedly save the world, I've gathered a list of ways to help your home to be energy efficient and save you money. Maybe that way I can rid the guilt... Please feel free to post your own ways of doing this, and I'll update the list if it takes off. Maybe it's something the freeola offices may even consider doing.

Most of these are known, but it's a start:

Don't use the standby function 8-10% of all electricity used in the home is used to power appliances on standby. Turning off fully can save the typical household £37 a year and if the whole nation does it, we can save 4m tonnes of excess CO2 being released into the atmosphere.

Link to source
Stats from the BBC (Thanks pb)

Switch off at the plug Many devices use a power adapter that remains on constantly even though they are not being used. On average, 10 of these are plugged in around the clock in every home, which means an extra 360KWh of wasted energy a year.

Switch out the lights Easy thing to do and can save £££. Average bulb uses 60W an hour. Turning it off for an extra hour per day will save 22,000W over the year. Also stop to think if it is necessary for a light to be on.

Energy efficient light bulbs as 10-15% of all electricity used in the household is usually for the lighting, using a lower power bulb can save £££. In fact, a typical energy efficient bulb can save £100 over the lifetime of the bulb. Most use 80% less power, yet still can provide the same amount of lighting, as well as lasting 10-12 times longer.

Don't boil more than you need Not only will it mean your water will boil much quicker, you save a lot of power by not boiling the water you don't actually need. Find out how much water you need by filling the container with water and pouring that into the kettle (plus a little bit to compensate for evaporation).

Foil back radiators To reflect the heat of your radiator back in. This is particularly important on outer walls as it stops the heat escaping outside. This will mean less energy is wasted and will mean less £££ spent on the heating.

Wear a jumper rather than putting on the heating or turning up the thermostat. Try adjusting it so the heating is used for two hours less a day and see how much it saves you.

Hang dry clothing rather than use a tumble drier or equivalent. Best done outdoors as it freshens the clothing as well, but if it's wet, hang them to dry indoors - away from radiators, so that you can maintain the efficiency of them for heating the room.

Keep the fridge freezer full As this makes it more efficient and means the motor actually has to work less to keep everything cold. If you don't have a full fridge as shopping day is around the corner, fill up bottles of water or carrier bags full of newspaper to help fill the space.

1oC less can make a difference Turn the thermostat down by just 1 degree, combined with using the heating less will again save energy and money.

Get your boiler serviced at least once a year This will help keep it as efficient as possible. The cost of a service is usually much less than the cost of the extra fuel the boiler would otherwise burn over the course of the year. (Eccles)

Loft insulation Fairly cheap from most DIY stores and relatively easy to install. Make sure it's at least 2.5" thick and goes over any rafters and not just between them. Oh and while you're up in the roof space: Lag your water pipes. (Eccles)

Cool store for Eco things (I don't care if these are eco, some seem pretty cool for what they are)

Recycled products lead to an eco lifestyle, which we must all improve one small step every day. Recycling and then buying products made from recycled materials is key! (Geoecostore)
Mon 21/04/08 at 13:12
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Plus I'm getting no end of e-mails saying to do my bit. feel free to ignore this if needs be. At least it makes me feel as though I'm trying to do good...probably be better if wasn't spending all day and night on my laptop or 360 though...
Mon 21/04/08 at 14:27
"possibly impossible"
I don't think the figures for Standby are correct, there have been other independent tests that show an average household's standby costs of being about 5p per year at the most.

But the other ideas are good to follow, we've used energy saving lightbulbs for years now and they are even giving us free ones from work every so often (we have a Green team which looks after the building's environmental impact and encourages staff to think about green issues).
Mon 21/04/08 at 16:13
Regular
"eat toast!"

This rule doesn't apply to me. I boil lots of water. I don't use all of it in tea so i store it all in a jug and drink that. Tastes different to tap water. But if needed i could drink from the tap.

I also use a humidifier it draws in all the cold air/moisture condenses it into water and produces heat. Its great, the rooms are made considerbly warmer and saves increasing the temp of the heaters.

I do switch off the computer at the mains and only the cable box and vcr are on standby.
Mon 21/04/08 at 16:13
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
pb wrote
> I don't think the figures for Standby are correct, there have
> been other independent tests that show an average household's
> standby costs of being about 5p per year at the most.

I guess it varies device by device and household to household. Still a bit of a waste. I will have a look again at where these test results have been published and will amend it accordingly.

(EDIT: Updated with source)

> But the other ideas are good to follow, we've used energy saving
> lightbulbs for years now and they are even giving us free ones
> from work every so often (we have a Green team which looks after
> the building's environmental impact and encourages staff to think
> about green issues)

I think most companies should follow that. I'm not too worried myself about global warming, as I think it's on a cycle. I do think we should onserve energy for other reasons (save money and conserve fuel reserves).

I'm trying to get one of those OWL device things that detect how much electricity you are using and works out how much it is costing to the second. If I did get one I'd imagine my house would be dark, silent and cold...
Mon 21/04/08 at 16:33
"possibly impossible"
The standby modes on electronic devices account for 8% of all British domestic power consumption according to a 2006 study by the British Government, while the US is at 10% or more.

The BBC had a page with some standby info:
Here
Mon 21/04/08 at 16:44
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Just added the link

pb wrote:
> The standby modes on electronic devices account for 8% of all
> British domestic power consumption according to a 2006 study by
> the British Government, while the US is at 10% or more.

Actually quite astonishing that it requires that much energy to be "ready" when it is next needed. But it doesn't surprise me that the US stat is higher.

Just going to add a link to an online "eco" shop. Not for people to radically change there lives with but there are some fantastic novelties on there

Nigel's Eco Store
Mon 21/04/08 at 17:23
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
There was a device on BBC's Dragons Den that is now on sale (seen it on Ebuyer), called the StandBy saver. It's basically a strip of sockets with an infra red remote. You use the remote that comes with it to cut the electricity to any devices plugged in and it contains a battery to maintain just enough power to allow the remote to turn it on again. I don't think they secured the patent as I've seen similar devices around. Sadly all of them miss out on including surge protection, which seems silly.

Anyway, the world is grossly overpopulated and the way things are going is just natures way of restoring the balance again. Unfortunately this will mean millions or billions of people will die but then we are never above the force of nature. Even if we saved all the energy we could and all 'did out bit' there still wouldn't be enough food to go round.

But to add to the list:

Get your boiler serviced at least once a year This will help keep it as efficient as possible. The cost of a service is usually much less than the cost of the extra fuel the boiler would otherwise burn over the course of the year.

Loft insulation Fairly cheap from most DIY stores and relatively easy to install. Make sure it's at least 2.5" thick and goes over any rafters and not just between them. Oh and while you're up in the roof space: Lag your water pipes.
Mon 21/04/08 at 18:20
Regular
"cachoo"
I'm obsessive about leaving things on standby. Gotta go off.
Mon 21/04/08 at 18:33
"The DEPRESSOR"
Depression

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.