GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Be Green-er"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/04/08 at 13:03
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Ok, all these years of maintaining that hippyman is not a hippy, he is going to post a thread that somehow undoes all that.

Currently, I am scared stiff of using anything electrical due to the recurring adverts on TV that the world is going to be doomed with global warming with the seas boiling away until we are all vaporised. Plus I am increasingly aware of the ever rising price of gas and electricity (not directly, but quite often I've had to prise the power bill away from my parents' hands after they've enarly passed out on how much they have to pay).

So, more down to guilt of using power than wanting to single-handedly save the world, I've gathered a list of ways to help your home to be energy efficient and save you money. Maybe that way I can rid the guilt... Please feel free to post your own ways of doing this, and I'll update the list if it takes off. Maybe it's something the freeola offices may even consider doing.

Most of these are known, but it's a start:

Don't use the standby function 8-10% of all electricity used in the home is used to power appliances on standby. Turning off fully can save the typical household £37 a year and if the whole nation does it, we can save 4m tonnes of excess CO2 being released into the atmosphere.

Link to source
Stats from the BBC (Thanks pb)

Switch off at the plug Many devices use a power adapter that remains on constantly even though they are not being used. On average, 10 of these are plugged in around the clock in every home, which means an extra 360KWh of wasted energy a year.

Switch out the lights Easy thing to do and can save £££. Average bulb uses 60W an hour. Turning it off for an extra hour per day will save 22,000W over the year. Also stop to think if it is necessary for a light to be on.

Energy efficient light bulbs as 10-15% of all electricity used in the household is usually for the lighting, using a lower power bulb can save £££. In fact, a typical energy efficient bulb can save £100 over the lifetime of the bulb. Most use 80% less power, yet still can provide the same amount of lighting, as well as lasting 10-12 times longer.

Don't boil more than you need Not only will it mean your water will boil much quicker, you save a lot of power by not boiling the water you don't actually need. Find out how much water you need by filling the container with water and pouring that into the kettle (plus a little bit to compensate for evaporation).

Foil back radiators To reflect the heat of your radiator back in. This is particularly important on outer walls as it stops the heat escaping outside. This will mean less energy is wasted and will mean less £££ spent on the heating.

Wear a jumper rather than putting on the heating or turning up the thermostat. Try adjusting it so the heating is used for two hours less a day and see how much it saves you.

Hang dry clothing rather than use a tumble drier or equivalent. Best done outdoors as it freshens the clothing as well, but if it's wet, hang them to dry indoors - away from radiators, so that you can maintain the efficiency of them for heating the room.

Keep the fridge freezer full As this makes it more efficient and means the motor actually has to work less to keep everything cold. If you don't have a full fridge as shopping day is around the corner, fill up bottles of water or carrier bags full of newspaper to help fill the space.

1oC less can make a difference Turn the thermostat down by just 1 degree, combined with using the heating less will again save energy and money.

Get your boiler serviced at least once a year This will help keep it as efficient as possible. The cost of a service is usually much less than the cost of the extra fuel the boiler would otherwise burn over the course of the year. (Eccles)

Loft insulation Fairly cheap from most DIY stores and relatively easy to install. Make sure it's at least 2.5" thick and goes over any rafters and not just between them. Oh and while you're up in the roof space: Lag your water pipes. (Eccles)

Cool store for Eco things (I don't care if these are eco, some seem pretty cool for what they are)

Recycled products lead to an eco lifestyle, which we must all improve one small step every day. Recycling and then buying products made from recycled materials is key! (Geoecostore)
Thu 09/07/09 at 13:22
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
hippyman wrote:
> I may hug the Big Issue seller.
>
> Actually I'd rather hug a man-eating tree. May have more of a
> chance of escaping one of them!

Shamefully I have actually done that :(

Hugged one that is not worked as one (is worked the correct term?) Was having a laugh with the girl though so it was all fun.
Wed 08/07/09 at 21:28
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I may hug the Big Issue seller.

Actually I'd rather hug a man-eating tree. May have more of a chance of escaping one of them!
Wed 08/07/09 at 16:34
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Ironically the "Green Britain Day" has just started advertising on TV, as this thread is renewed :S

Anyone got any plans? I might hug a tree on my way to work.....
Wed 08/07/09 at 08:22
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Warhunt wrote:
> Luke has a point though, it saves us money so why are we not? :S

Because we are lazy.

I am particularly bad when it comes for a clearout in my room. Sometimes so fraught for time that I lump all the stuff into one bag and bin it.

I do however, turn off my electricity at the wall and remove any non-essential plugs from a socket that I leave on for the air filter in my room (which will be going off as soon as the hayfever season ends). I also donate lots of old clothing to charity shops...which I suppose saves time, effort, packaging, electricity and disappointment trying (and failing) to sell it on eBay :P
Tue 07/07/09 at 12:08
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
@pb: I think you are currently doing more than most :o
Tue 07/07/09 at 12:04
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I am pretty easy going with elec to be honest.. I replace all the lightbulbs with energy savers, and turn everything off rather than standby. Obviously do not "waste" where I can, but do not really do much.

Luke has a point though, it saves us money so why are we not? :S
Tue 07/07/09 at 11:12
"possibly impossible"
LukeM wrote:
> I find this green issue strange, I mean energy usage = money and
> energy usage = global warming, scrooge wouldn't give a monkey
> about global warming but I am sure he would be happy to know he
> could save money. Saving the world is just a by-product.
>
> So why haven't we all saved the world already and saved
> ourselves a few pennies too? Nuts.

I agree, but then it's educating people with the facts and then educating ourselves to change the way we live.

For quite a while now I've been very careful to mark out the exact number of cups of water needed for tea or coffee in our kettle. We've given the children showers where possible instead of baths every day and we've recycled water for the garden (luckily/unluckily we don't have a tap at the back of our house, despite asking the builders at the time to put one in, so no hosepipe for us).

Work has been very good and since opening the Exeter office I've been able to go in by bus every day, just using the car one day a week for going to our Tiverton office (which will hopefully be closed down at the end of the year). Saved money on fuel as the bus is subsidised by the company anyway.

Every light in our house has energy saving lightbulbs and TVs etc go off in the evening instead of standby (though there's still debate about this having a detrimental effect on the life of the equipment).

But I can do more, I know.
Tue 07/07/09 at 10:36
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I find this green issue strange, I mean energy usage = money and energy usage = global warming, scrooge wouldn't give a monkey about global warming but I am sure he would be happy to know he could save money. Saving the world is just a by-product.

So why haven't we all saved the world already and saved ourselves a few pennies too? Nuts.
Mon 06/07/09 at 22:58
Regular
"eat toast!"
speaking of green. Has anyone heard about the new driving test criteria? Apparently starting from 3 weeks time, driving students will now be tested on how environmentally friendly their driving is.

Apparently the criteria is that you can't rev the car up to 20 in towns and 30 on dual carriage ways and motorways, so no lead foots and slower accelerating and more frequent changing of higer gears so that you can build up the speed without going too far over the 20 limited.

At first it can be extremely tedious and annoying espeically how speed is key on roundabouts etc, but once you do get use to it its actually ok.

But that of course requires you to be calm and focused at all times. Frankly extremely difficult when you're losing your patience having botched your mock test.
Mon 06/07/09 at 14:45
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Hmmm... wrote:

> Let's hope they contribute regularly and don't just post just
> the once promoting their store though!
>
> /cynic ;¬)
>

And we all know the answer to that ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.