GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You've got to fight for your rights to be a Newbie..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/07/02 at 12:13
Regular
As you've guessed it, this post is about newbies are their rights to post freely on the site. But, do they have any rights? "Oh no, here's another newbie moaning his head off!" is probably the thought going through some of your minds now, but I have good reason for this post. Here's why...

I've only been using the site for two days but I've already been acused of being banned members, I've been acused of being selfish and I've been patronized. Do all the regular posters look down at new posters? What's so wrong about wanting to win the Game-A-Day competitions? I mean, I am sorry for finding the novelty of winning something that relates to one of my favourite hobbies extremely exciting. It is on offer after all. Some of the regular posters seem to have a very short fuse when it comes to newbies. "You're being stupid and whingey," I hear you say. Well, a quote from user said, "Im shocked at the amount of noobs filling the place and wanting GAD... Urgh..." And, again, we're sorry for wanting something that probably makes the site so popular, but you have to understand that some people post for that exact reason, and there's nothing wrong with that. Regular posters do it, so why can't new members? Is it because it decreases your chance of winning?

Now, I was a Special Reserve member long before I'd even heard of the Game-A-Day site. I got an e-mail one day advertising the ideas of the competitions. I ignored it, but have recently decided to take it up because I have little money and thought it was a very good idea. The fact that you have to work for your prize is what makes the site so good.

There's no doubt that I'll get messages from users that have taken offense from this post, but I'm simply saying what others might be too afraid to say. Then again, I might be the only one that feels this way. If so, I'll go and sit in a corner and cry for a few days. And who knows, I might soon feel the same way about newbies as the others. Anyway, I came onto the site and was only offered help by a few people. Thanks to those that did offer advice and guidance to me. Although, it seems as if the site has an "every man for himself" feel to it.

Swiftly moving onto the main reason I posted this topic, before I get killed. The question that I have to ask is: "Are new members being treated with as much respect as existing ones?" In my short experience, my answer would be no. Perhaps this will change in time. But, what do the rest of you think? And yes, regulars are very welcome to post if they want to, as well, even to fight back. Even though I am upset at being made to feel not so welcome, I never hold a grudge on anyone. Everyone has their own opinion.

Newbies: Back me up or tell me where I'm seeing things wrong.
Regulars: Verbally kill me or tell me why things are as they are.

I'll probably regret this post afterwards. *Awaits probable onslaught*
-SD
Wed 10/07/02 at 18:26
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Newbies have no rights!!
>
> Now polish my shoes you worthless dole scum.

Isn't that why mickey wasn't made welcome? Poor guy couldn't write very well, never mind be computer literate. No wonder he didn't make many posts.
Wed 10/07/02 at 18:17
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
SnipeŽ wrote:
> some ppl post like muppets here...

Like you.

And please, be original and DON't try and comeback with something unreadable such as: lk whs tlkin!.
Wed 10/07/02 at 18:12
Regular
The reason why people are cynical about new users is that recently there has been a spat of people who have been banned and register again under different names, only to copy and cheat and get banned again. Because this happens with such frequency, there is always a suspicion that a JAT is someone who has been banned in the past (see: ps2_proud).
Wed 10/07/02 at 16:54
Regular
some ppl post like muppets here...
Wed 10/07/02 at 15:17
Regular
Newbies have no rights!!

Now polish my shoes you worthless dole scum..
Wed 10/07/02 at 15:07
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I think that regulars and notables don't respect newbies bedcause they obviously haven't been contributing for so long, nor do they have as much experience. I have just become a regular, and I still feel the same, except now my name is in a new colour, and newbies may respect me more, because I have been here for longer than them.

Personally, I don't start many new topics, nor do I review much or give cheats or tips or walkthroughs. I have never attempted to win a GAD, and I never have.

One thing I think SR could do, is show how many posts people have made next to their names, this would give people a clearer indication of how experienced the poster is.

I don't like the idea of only posting long, boring or hackneyed topics only to win a GAD if you have just registered, because you have no experience of the chat forums and so you should perhaps try to stay a while before going for that GAD.
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:59
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Just out of interest, who is that Xiretsa guy at the top of the word count table. Was he just copying or was it advertising stuff?
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:59
Cyclone wrote:
> ShadowDragon wrote:
> I'm going to write more posts
> now so I can to gain that regular status quicker.
>
> Be careful.

I see what you mean. But I'm sure you also know what I meant by it...
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:57
Regular
"gsybe you!"
ShadowDragon wrote:
> I'm going to write more posts
> now so I can to gain that regular status quicker.

Be careful.
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:55
Regular
U CAN't POST MINDLESS SPAM....... copy reviews using cheats off other sites just to win GAD..... and plz stop these topics.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.