GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You've got to fight for your rights to be a Newbie..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/07/02 at 12:13
Regular
As you've guessed it, this post is about newbies are their rights to post freely on the site. But, do they have any rights? "Oh no, here's another newbie moaning his head off!" is probably the thought going through some of your minds now, but I have good reason for this post. Here's why...

I've only been using the site for two days but I've already been acused of being banned members, I've been acused of being selfish and I've been patronized. Do all the regular posters look down at new posters? What's so wrong about wanting to win the Game-A-Day competitions? I mean, I am sorry for finding the novelty of winning something that relates to one of my favourite hobbies extremely exciting. It is on offer after all. Some of the regular posters seem to have a very short fuse when it comes to newbies. "You're being stupid and whingey," I hear you say. Well, a quote from user said, "Im shocked at the amount of noobs filling the place and wanting GAD... Urgh..." And, again, we're sorry for wanting something that probably makes the site so popular, but you have to understand that some people post for that exact reason, and there's nothing wrong with that. Regular posters do it, so why can't new members? Is it because it decreases your chance of winning?

Now, I was a Special Reserve member long before I'd even heard of the Game-A-Day site. I got an e-mail one day advertising the ideas of the competitions. I ignored it, but have recently decided to take it up because I have little money and thought it was a very good idea. The fact that you have to work for your prize is what makes the site so good.

There's no doubt that I'll get messages from users that have taken offense from this post, but I'm simply saying what others might be too afraid to say. Then again, I might be the only one that feels this way. If so, I'll go and sit in a corner and cry for a few days. And who knows, I might soon feel the same way about newbies as the others. Anyway, I came onto the site and was only offered help by a few people. Thanks to those that did offer advice and guidance to me. Although, it seems as if the site has an "every man for himself" feel to it.

Swiftly moving onto the main reason I posted this topic, before I get killed. The question that I have to ask is: "Are new members being treated with as much respect as existing ones?" In my short experience, my answer would be no. Perhaps this will change in time. But, what do the rest of you think? And yes, regulars are very welcome to post if they want to, as well, even to fight back. Even though I am upset at being made to feel not so welcome, I never hold a grudge on anyone. Everyone has their own opinion.

Newbies: Back me up or tell me where I'm seeing things wrong.
Regulars: Verbally kill me or tell me why things are as they are.

I'll probably regret this post afterwards. *Awaits probable onslaught*
-SD
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:13
As you've guessed it, this post is about newbies are their rights to post freely on the site. But, do they have any rights? "Oh no, here's another newbie moaning his head off!" is probably the thought going through some of your minds now, but I have good reason for this post. Here's why...

I've only been using the site for two days but I've already been acused of being banned members, I've been acused of being selfish and I've been patronized. Do all the regular posters look down at new posters? What's so wrong about wanting to win the Game-A-Day competitions? I mean, I am sorry for finding the novelty of winning something that relates to one of my favourite hobbies extremely exciting. It is on offer after all. Some of the regular posters seem to have a very short fuse when it comes to newbies. "You're being stupid and whingey," I hear you say. Well, a quote from user said, "Im shocked at the amount of noobs filling the place and wanting GAD... Urgh..." And, again, we're sorry for wanting something that probably makes the site so popular, but you have to understand that some people post for that exact reason, and there's nothing wrong with that. Regular posters do it, so why can't new members? Is it because it decreases your chance of winning?

Now, I was a Special Reserve member long before I'd even heard of the Game-A-Day site. I got an e-mail one day advertising the ideas of the competitions. I ignored it, but have recently decided to take it up because I have little money and thought it was a very good idea. The fact that you have to work for your prize is what makes the site so good.

There's no doubt that I'll get messages from users that have taken offense from this post, but I'm simply saying what others might be too afraid to say. Then again, I might be the only one that feels this way. If so, I'll go and sit in a corner and cry for a few days. And who knows, I might soon feel the same way about newbies as the others. Anyway, I came onto the site and was only offered help by a few people. Thanks to those that did offer advice and guidance to me. Although, it seems as if the site has an "every man for himself" feel to it.

Swiftly moving onto the main reason I posted this topic, before I get killed. The question that I have to ask is: "Are new members being treated with as much respect as existing ones?" In my short experience, my answer would be no. Perhaps this will change in time. But, what do the rest of you think? And yes, regulars are very welcome to post if they want to, as well, even to fight back. Even though I am upset at being made to feel not so welcome, I never hold a grudge on anyone. Everyone has their own opinion.

Newbies: Back me up or tell me where I'm seeing things wrong.
Regulars: Verbally kill me or tell me why things are as they are.

I'll probably regret this post afterwards. *Awaits probable onslaught*
-SD
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:21
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Well I can see your point of view entirely, and there shall be no onslaught.

Its just so many newbies register, copy, win an are banned. It's a cycle many are familiar and unfortunately almost all newbies are branded under this. This continues until you evolve into a regular. Congratulations to those who made it that far. Maybe we were better off without the system, but it's here. And remember almost everyone had to go through it, it just seems worse now that more newbies come on simply to copy and win, without being caught.

But this is not true to yourself, you obviously are a worthy member who would make a good regualar. Shame about zean, and that ronaldo guy, and totti and many others.
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:26
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
I made a topic about this but it was a diary about me posing as a newbie and seeing reactions to my actions. Quite a few regulars helped me out but there are the rare few that immediately hate you because you're a newbie. Therefore i understand what you mean with this topic.
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:29
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Yep but its the stereotype hes bothered about... the post hes referring to is the one by your honour, cocky snob appears on the boards after being AWOL themselves for ages, and immediately starts ranting about how many new posters there are.

Personally I'm not new at all, take a look at my days as a member, I've posted once, maybe twice previously and never really was bothered to frequent ukchatforums as I couldn't be bothered. Hardly the actions of someone "desperate for GAD", I would actually define that as some of the regulars who are entirely self-involved, don't read any posts by other members and just appear for 5 mins each day to post yet another unoriginal topic as their attempt, then log off. All the same, its nothing to bite their head off over, but it certainly merits it more than just having a pop at someone who has "Newbie" next to their username. Doesn't actually bother me much at all, because I'll quite readily tear a few chunks of flesh out of anyone giving me gip, but it obviously offends the likes of Shadow.

I'll just point out the little "report post" link at the base of every message, bear in mind that the ukchatforums staff are here to moderate for "newbies" as well as regulars, and as their frequent rants about banned users shows - it is quite possible for a regular or notable to be banned. Maybe a little more tolerance is required on the parts of certain persons, food for thought.
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:33
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one, after all. At one point, it even seemed as if there was a conspiracy between regular posters in the forums. A regular would post a topic and all the other regulars would praise it, whilst a newbie would post a topic and the regulars would slate it and complain about the newbie being, well, new. I didn't write that in the main post itself, because I don't believe it to be true at all.

I noticed you won the GAD yesterday Fuzzy. I have to say that you chose a great game! That is on my wish list of games. And thanks, 'cos I feel a little bit more welcome now. I'm going to write more posts now so I can to gain that regular status quicker.
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:47
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Thanks SD, and feel free to post whatever you feel appropriate. It's not a forum for regulars and notables alone, nor for newbies. Its a chat forum, where all can post freely.

Enjoy it, it's where you can talk to like-minded people, when you know few in actual person.

Anyway, have fun!
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:51
Regular
what do you know?
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:54
Snipe® wrote:
> what do you know?

I'm gonna take it that you meant that as a joke...
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:54
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
the sterotypical newbie posts spam and is desperate to win GAD by copying/talking cr*p.

obviously theer are exeptions (ie the poster of this topic). Newbies who give sensible interesting opinions. But they tend to be outnumbered by the sterotypical spammy newbie.
Wed 10/07/02 at 12:55
Regular
U CAN't POST MINDLESS SPAM....... copy reviews using cheats off other sites just to win GAD..... and plz stop these topics.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.