GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Undeniable Truth"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/07/02 at 15:41
Regular
I am not making this post to discuss the reasons for PS2's success, as they are down to opinion, open to debate, and eventually the cause of war. Instead, this is just a few facts I`ve uncovered. The statistics on two of the main three markets (in this case the US and Japan) are as follows:

Japanese sales last week:

PS2 - 63,000
GBA - 37,000
GC - 7,900
PS1 - 4,400
X-Box - 3,000

US sales for May:

PS2 - 520,000 (Up from 315,200 in April)
X-Box - 230,000 (Up from 151,800 in April)
GC - 112,300 (Up from 82,000 in April)

Now, obviously, these figures are just from retail surveys, so might be slightly unreliable, but it is certainly not the first time I`ve heard figures like this being read out. Even if there is some error above, its not going to be by much.

This was supposed to be the time when the PS2's storm was being quietened. It was suggested that though PS2 may win in the end, X-Box and GX would gain a lot of ground on Sony's machine over the next year or so. Its early days, and the release of games like Zelda and Mario on GC could help significantly, but for now, I`d hardly say the other consoles were catching up.

Like I said before though, this isn`t a "PS2 is better post" because that's been covered once or twice before, but these figures have to be quite worrying for the competition...
Sat 06/07/02 at 15:41
Regular
I am not making this post to discuss the reasons for PS2's success, as they are down to opinion, open to debate, and eventually the cause of war. Instead, this is just a few facts I`ve uncovered. The statistics on two of the main three markets (in this case the US and Japan) are as follows:

Japanese sales last week:

PS2 - 63,000
GBA - 37,000
GC - 7,900
PS1 - 4,400
X-Box - 3,000

US sales for May:

PS2 - 520,000 (Up from 315,200 in April)
X-Box - 230,000 (Up from 151,800 in April)
GC - 112,300 (Up from 82,000 in April)

Now, obviously, these figures are just from retail surveys, so might be slightly unreliable, but it is certainly not the first time I`ve heard figures like this being read out. Even if there is some error above, its not going to be by much.

This was supposed to be the time when the PS2's storm was being quietened. It was suggested that though PS2 may win in the end, X-Box and GX would gain a lot of ground on Sony's machine over the next year or so. Its early days, and the release of games like Zelda and Mario on GC could help significantly, but for now, I`d hardly say the other consoles were catching up.

Like I said before though, this isn`t a "PS2 is better post" because that's been covered once or twice before, but these figures have to be quite worrying for the competition...
Sat 06/07/02 at 20:07
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Are you sure you're not just posting this because of your own personal insecurities?

:P

(PS Does it really matter which sells more? Surely the best console is the one you like the most, not the console with the most successful marketing campaign?)

(PPS Although I agree with you. The PS2 is better :D )
Sat 06/07/02 at 20:43
Regular
Those PS2 sales figures have got to start falling soon...

Its amazing how it keeps selling so much....

Especially in Japan where it has been out for soooo long now.
Sat 06/07/02 at 21:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I know! Haven't half the bloomin' country got one now?
Sat 06/07/02 at 21:48
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Yup, but only cause they're lovin lovin lovin it.
Sat 06/07/02 at 22:16
Regular
"Back For Good"
When the Xbox was hyping up just before it's release I was worried, A machine with more potential, more power, good third party support and the ability to wipe the floor with the PS2 made me question whether to move on to this beast. However the machine has done very poorly, I was interested in Malice, Silent Hill 2:Restless Dreams and Halo but Malice and Restless dreams are both on their way to the PS2 and looking at the release schedule for the PS2 I think I can live without it's only good game (Halo). The Xbox has always been a PC in a box but now it's a dated PC in a box and done very badly indeed, No doubt Microsoft will still pour money into it on the hope that it'll pick up but as long as Sony kick they're online plans into gear they have nothing to worry about :o)
Sat 06/07/02 at 22:22
Regular
"Back For Good"
d'oh forgot the point of the last post :-P

Popularity has made the PS2 what it is, If people lost interest or the Xbox and Gamecube had been released back in 2001 I think the PS2 would have been erm, 'put to sleep' but because of demand from the large amount of PS2 owners things really picked up well hence the enormous sales figures :-)
Sun 07/07/02 at 00:11
"High polygon count"
I would expect Xbox sales figures to increase around Christmas, as there are better games due for it in the last few months of this year. Between launch and then, though, there's been very little to make it worth getting.

However, there are also excellent games due for the PS2 which are also guaranteed to sell more machines.

The Xbox stands to have a bigger increase in sales percentage-wise, but that's because everyday sales are lower - so don't be alarmed if/when that happens.

Both camps will have their own opinion as to who will "win", but the important thing is that both sets of fans should be happy. If you have both, then you'll be even happier!
Sun 07/07/02 at 00:28
Regular
The PS2 will obviously win in the end, but not with the same domination that it's older version had - the competition will gain more ground this time round.

Then again, Nintendo intend to have the GC around for another 8 years.
Sony will have killed off the PS2 with the PS3 long before then...

The GC might sell more over all after all...

Maybe...
Sun 07/07/02 at 01:58
"High polygon count"
At first thought, it would seem that Nintendo will be pushing it a bit if they leave the GC in place for 8 years - it'll be hopelessly underpowered at that time.

Though having said that, the PSone has been around for 7 years now - 8 in Japan - and despite that, it is still outselling newer hardware. I'm sure not even Sony thought that they'd be selling the machine 8 years after launch.

The 'test' (for want of a better expression) will be if GameCube sells a comparable amount that same time-span. If it does, then it may make the 8-year target. If not, I think Nintendo will be replacing it sooner.

But just as the PSone looks dated now, it scares me to think how much more powerful consoles will be in 8 years time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.