GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shenmue 2 ?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/06/02 at 16:50
Regular
Now this is very strange to me, I have followed the previews and information on Shenmue 2 now since I first heard of it, but one thing I would like to know is, will Shenmue 1 be included on the disc?

I am not sure what you think but it seems strange to leave out Shenmue 1 and start the series on Shenmue 2, Shenmue 3 is also in the making but Shenmue 1 was the prequel to all of Ryu's adventures and I for one would love to see this game appear on the Xbox!

Maybe a double sided DVD with just a straight port of Shenmue 1 with enhanced graphics would work. I know you have talked about this before but with the launch of Shenmue 2 only a few months away and with hands on at E3 of this game I think it is about time we got to know the full story of what will be included on the disc.

Shenmue 2 is the start of Ryu's journey and Shenmue 1 was just a prequel to this. At the moment I am in 2 minds on wether or not to purchase a dreamcast just so I can play and complete Shenmue 1, but if it is included on the Xbox version then I won't bother.

Has anyone got any news on Shenmue 2 and what it will include as I am sure we all want to find out the story behind it?
Mon 01/07/02 at 21:52
Regular
"accidental superher"
i not particularly devoted to any console or platform at the moment cos i use them all equally...probably been playing my ps2 most recently cos of Final Fantasy X (and don't sl*g it cos i like all of them :D)
Mon 01/07/02 at 21:54
I cant wait!!!!! for my holiday in 4 days......

and shenmue 2 :D
Mon 01/07/02 at 22:13
Regular
"accidental superher"
i've been on holiday for a few days already :P
but then i have just finished my A levels which has caused me much stress over the past few weeks
Mon 01/07/02 at 22:37
I have been on holiday for 2 weeks with my gcse's off but I am going to florida in 4 days :)
Tue 02/07/02 at 21:50
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
what I heard from one of the guys at shenmuedojo.com was that he spoke to guy at the microsoft or sega stand(i forgot which) and he siad they were considering putting shenmue 1 with 2x, if they do I reckon they should weave the 2 games together, and have both credits at the end of 2x, that would be super sweet!!.
The newest news I heard is that EB(US) have a release date of 19th of october, which is still four months away so they could have plenty of time to do a direct port??.
To be honest since Ive played though the 1st game like 3 times, plus the fact that I would never part with my dc and copys of shenmue 1&2, I would prefer the jap DVD movie of shenmue 1, even with sub-titles!!
Wed 03/07/02 at 18:30
Regular
This is what a guy from E3 had to say about Shenmue 2X and what it is like so far:

The last game we discussed was Shenmue II, for which Suzuki is director. He is pleased with how the conversion is going, citing the speed in which the game was brought over from the Dreamcast to the Xbox. He stated that the power of the Xbox allowed him more freedom in perfecting the game's cinematic look, citing the use of the pixel and graphics shader as an example. We then asked whether the game would have the online components found in the Dreamcast version, or any other kinds of enhancements. Suzuki stated that while the game would not be online, it would let players store snapshots and view them in the game, as well as change filters on them to change their appearance. He stated the game would also support Dolby 5.1 in the cinematic sequences. We then asked him whether we would see another installment after Shenmue II on the Xbox. He stated that, depending on consumer feedback and whether the market received Shenmue II well, a sequel could be possible. When we asked whether he personally wanted the series to continue, he stated that, given the various game franchises at Sega, he preferred to put them in order and focus.

Shenmue Dojo Forum member Kenshiro took his own pictures and impressions of Shenmue 2X on the E3 floor.

Went to E3 last Thursday and it was pretty cool. Security wasn't that tight and I saw a lot of people that were definitely not 18. I'm pretty sure that you guys could have snuck in if you walked in with a big crowd. But anyways, Microsoft pretty much had the most impressive booth in terms of content and b/c of course, Shenmue 2 (it's also worth noting that all the controllers were the "S" type). Panzer Dragoon, Sega GT, TJ&E, Ninja Gaiden, DOA Volleyball, etc. all looked tight and damn impressive. In terms of sheer graphics, they blew Sony and Nintendo away.

Sony had this pretty cool mirror thin TV rig on the platform, but most of the games were so so. Nintendo had the largest floor space, but nothing was really new and unexpected. They just had like 20 playable demos each of Mario, Metroid (I was disappointed by what I saw), etc. and a Nintendo Merchandise store set up. Even though they had the largest booth, they had the fewest game titles. Capcom and Sega had a pretty good setup. Resident Evil 0, Devil May Cry 2, Onimusha 2, and Shinobi (especially his 30 foot long scarf) looked real good. But anyways, here are some pics and thoughts on Shenmue 2X (Just to let you know, I played my DC version of Shenmue 2 last night for a couple of hours to help with the comparisons)

Many of the pics turned out like crap and don't do the game justice. But if you see the game up close, Ryo's face looks more rounder, smoother, and the hair looks more natural.

This was taken from the big screen in MS' booth where they showed a trailer. The cutscenes have definitely improved and look more cinematic. It also looks like there will be extra cutscenes too.

Fanmei looks more "delicate" and feminine as do the other female characters.

The only part that was playable was a fighting and QTE event. From seeing it on screen, the sort of hazy lighting is used throughout, as if trying to make the feel like a Hong Kong Movie shot at night. The characters move more fluidly, look smoother, and the lighting and dust effects (especially when one of the guys you beat up hit the ground) were cool and definitly much better than the DC version. Even though the game isn't hugely better looking than the DC version (after all it is a port), there are noticeable and substantial improvements in the graphics. Much, much more noticeable than the Onimusha port for Xbox. But, the dubbed voices SUCKED. When I asked the MS rep about the inclusion of Japanese voices, he said "TBA and depends on space and time". So it is not definite if it will have Japanese voices. Another interesting thing that he said was that they are thinking about including Shenmue 1 on the same disc if space permits! Hmm....
Wed 03/07/02 at 19:25
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I hated Shenmue 1! It was pure garbage. Sure the graphics were amazing, and the fighting was good IF you're into seriously complex move learning, but the actual game is terrible...

All you do for the majority is run from place to place finding the next person to talk to. You'll go to person A who says "I can't remember, go to person B". You'll go to B, who'll give you some info and tell you to go to C. C will then tell you to go to A who will AMAZINGLY remeber something else!

If it weren't for the graphics and innovative QTEs the game would have been slated. Peronsally, if I get a DC again, I'll get Shenmue but only so that I can play in the arcde!
Wed 03/07/02 at 20:43
Regular
"accidental superher"
i'm afraid i have to agree with sonic rav...
i thought the actual game was pretty poor...but i remember getting it to see what all the fuss was about...and when i first played it i remember being amazed by the graphics and the detail....but once i finished it i was left with a rather shallow feeling...it only started getting exciting near the end but by that time it was almost over. a great game is one that i think is good after having finished it and having a good think about it.
pso was really addictive but i did realise that well it was rather poor...and i was left with the same feeling with mu1.
but mu2 had a lot better pacing...but was VERY disappointed with the last disk and was absolutely bored for the last few hours of the game.
i'll prob get it again though cos i did like mu2 a lot
Thu 04/07/02 at 11:44
Regular
lo, probly been mentioned, but I thought that included with Shenmue2 on xbox was anotha dvd disc that was a film, outlinin all the main points in shenmue 1 this sets the scene for the new game
Thu 04/07/02 at 20:23
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I completed Shenmue around 4 times for the DC, I loved it. It is just like a movie, only better and you have to run to the next scene. :P

I never got round to gettin Shenmue 2 on the DC, so I want this game badly now. If shenmue 1 was included in the disk, and everyone had english voices, this would posibly be the greatest adventure ever as well as exelent value.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.