GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""BLAND TURISMO 3""

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/06/02 at 22:01
Regular
About 2 weeks ago now I read a review on Gran Turismo 3 and I decided to buy it. It got 90% across the board and I had never played the previous games before, so it was a new experience for me.

From the opening scene I was very impressed. Graphically it was a masterpiece. The cars were astonishing and the tracks were out of this world but I was not happy. Here’s a few points explaining why I felt stupid after buying it:

1.No damage! How can it be called the real driving simulator if the cars don’t get a single scratch when smashing into a wall at 100mph!

2.The under parts of the cars are just plain old black.

3.There’s no fun in the multi player option just the I- link which, I’m sure, nobodies going to use it unless they’re stupidly rich.

I’m sorry to have to moan if you people like the game, but I just feel it wasn’t worth the 40 quid I forked out.

Does anyone feel the same way about the game?
Mon 24/06/02 at 22:01
"`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·`·"
About 2 weeks ago now I read a review on Gran Turismo 3 and I decided to buy it. It got 90% across the board and I had never played the previous games before, so it was a new experience for me.

From the opening scene I was very impressed. Graphically it was a masterpiece. The cars were astonishing and the tracks were out of this world but I was not happy. Here’s a few points explaining why I felt stupid after buying it:

1.No damage! How can it be called the real driving simulator if the cars don’t get a single scratch when smashing into a wall at 100mph!

2.The under parts of the cars are just plain old black.

3.There’s no fun in the multi player option just the I- link which, I’m sure, nobodies going to use it unless they’re stupidly rich.

I’m sorry to have to moan if you people like the game, but I just feel it wasn’t worth the 40 quid I forked out.

Does anyone feel the same way about the game?
Mon 24/06/02 at 22:21
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
It's a real driving simulator in the sense that the handling physics of the cars is as accurate as you can get for each type of drive. And the graphics really are something else.

Apart from that I agree, no damage really does suck but Polyphonic Digital are slaves to the car manufacturers who decided that they didn't want their shiny computer generated vehicles subjected to rents and dents as it may affect sales of the real thing.

Despite this, having owned both Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 2 on the PlayStation, I still bought Gran Turismo 3 for my PS2, because it's one of those games you can pick up, play a bit, and put down again to come back to later. Plus it's longevity is probably the same as the console it was designed for. I'm still playing it months and months after I first got it.

I find it hard to think of another game that has realistic handling that is better than Gran Turismo.

However, for sheer fun races I prefer the likes of Speed Devils (Dreamcast), TOCA (PlayStation) or Ridge Racer V (PS2), because although the handling is no way realistic, more of an arcade feel, it's the fun aspect that keeps me coming back for more.

The races in Gran Turismo generally lack the feel of speed that other games out there offer, which, apart from its lack of damage representation, is its major downfall.
Mon 24/06/02 at 22:29
Regular
".......on the attac"
Major Chip Hazard wrote:
> I’m sorry to have to moan if you people like the game, but I just feel
> it wasn’t worth the 40 quid I forked out.

It's on Platinum at the mo so you shouldn't have had to pay £40 for it mate!

But, it's true, it is real in a certain way but the lack of damage is silly although you do wear tyres down so that is a good thing...
Mon 24/06/02 at 22:31
Regular
£40? As far as I am aware it is on platinum for £18.99.
Mon 24/06/02 at 23:48
"High polygon count"
Garbe is right. If you paid £40 for GT3 just two weeks ago, yuo were robbed, as it is a Platinum range title, available for £19.99.

Even older versions without the Platinum covers should not be sold at above that price.

As for your opinions on the game, I disagree - I think it's one of the best racing games ever made. But you are entitled to your opinion.

You are also right about the lack of damage, but as FantasyMeister says, this is down to the licensing agreements for the cars. Polyphony Digital, the games developers, have always wanted to include damage even from the original game on the PS1. But certain car manufacturers (mostly European ones) won't allow them to 'damage' the cars, and if they can't do it for some, the can't do it for any.

Polyphony believe (rightly so, I think) that people would rather have more cars and no damage, than fewer cars with damage. So that's why they make the game as it is.
Mon 24/06/02 at 23:51
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
I got mine for £20 at Christmas time and this game sure did and still does bore the hell out of me. I like the Arcade mode but the simulation doesn't do it for me like Gran Turismo on the PS1 did.
Tue 25/06/02 at 08:22
"`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·`·"
I feel even more stupid now, i can not belive all you guys paid 18.99 for yours. And i had to fork out £40, i can tell you i aint impressed.
Tue 25/06/02 at 09:50
Regular
"  "
GT3 is amazing! I just got the GT force logitec wheel and it is so blooody amazing with it. You can feel every bump and the wheel gos really tight to simulate different surfaces....u relly have to try it....by Major Chip Hazard i advise u try v-rally 3. Amazing driving game. Get it u wont be dissapointed!
Tue 25/06/02 at 09:52
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
If youv'e still got the receipt I would go back to where you got it from and demand 20.oo quid back !!

I agree with a lot of what you say but for a different reason.

Wookiee has answered the bits about damage and stuff and we have had debates on here about that subject before. At the end of the day how much fun is it when you are racing round, clip a wall and your car is totalled as in real life ?

My main criticism with the game came from the fact that I had played GT and GT2. Apart from the improved graphics I did not feel that it offered enough for GT veterans, saying that I do still play it from time to time but I have never felt committed enough to it to try and work throigh all the championships etc like I did in the earlier games.
Tue 25/06/02 at 11:09
Regular
I bought a PS2 almost specifically for GT3, and I was disappointed.

I hadn't played any of the previous games, so I wasn't sure what to expect. When I first played it, I thought it was great. Graphics were fantastic, and I was playing the Arcade mode, so went straight in with the sports cars.

However, when I went to the main mode, I couldn't afford a decent car. What? I have to race mini's about? You're having a laugh aren't you?

And that's the downfall with the game, in my view. Initially, it's just not fun. Yes it looks nice, yes it's challenging. But for me it's not fun racing a mini at a whopping speed of 45mph.

I know some people like the simulation side of it, and that's cool, but for me games have to be fun. And GT3 isn't, end of story.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.