GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So Good They Made It Twice"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/06/02 at 10:11
Regular
There are probably FAR too many sequels going around these days...

And although, I'm sure, you never can have too much of a good thing, its a shame that most sequels don’t seem to put that axiom to the test.

Since the release of the GBA, there has been an ever growing flow (to flood?) of 'old skool' re-releases... Most of which seem to add little more to the original game than another 30 quid back on the price tag...

There are exceptions of course, don’t get me wrong.

There are a few games which, I think, could benefit from being re-released in an 'updated'/post PS1 form...

Rather than, say, a straight port to the GBA... And rather than, say, writing the same 8/16/32/(whatever) bit title and forcing 3D graphics onto the 2D engine...

More a reworking of the idea... (the sort of thing Tim Burton would call a 're-imagining', but definitely less dull than his 'Planet of the Apes' effort)...

Maybe (ripping an idea I stuck into a thread a while back) giving a classic title to a respected developer and seeing what they come up with... What would Molyneux do to Super Mario Bros? Shigsy to Streets of Rage? or Rare to Pac Man?...

I was wondering... which titles should/could be reworked into making a comeback into today’s gaming arena?

How would you change your favourite retro-game to make it a GTA3/Deus Ex/etc. beater today?
Thu 20/06/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dav1d wrote:
> Theres some stuff about elite 4 here:
>
> http://www.3dactionplanet.com/elite4/elite4_facts.shtml
>
> Some pretty interesting "facts"...

good stuff... cheers man! ...

Heres what it says...

'Elite 4 will be released around the end of 2002- This is one of the first facts that were released about Elite 4. The long time that Frontier Developments want to spend on developing the game might surprise some, but considering on how many platforms they want it released and just how complex the project is, it's nothing weird. Furthermore, some people think that the game will not be finished even then.'
Thu 20/06/02 at 18:16
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
pop
Thu 20/06/02 at 18:06
Regular
Theres some stuff about elite 4 here:

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/elite4/elite4_facts.shtml

Some pretty interesting "facts"...
Thu 20/06/02 at 17:49
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> I know that the site has claimed a Q4 2002 release for over a year,
> and the amount of detail available on the game hasn't changed since
> the site went up. I seriously doubt if it's even still in
> production.
>
> Pity, it would have rocked.

I think it is still on man...

I've noticed they have added a Wallace and Gromit thing to thier list of titles (which seems odly out of place?)... And I think their 3D game engine has been releativly popular?...

I was reading the he had finally sorted out all the legal difficulties he was having with it... He seems like an eighties developer who like to keep things uner wraps until hes ready to show off (as opposed to marketing heavy 90's developers?)...

If nothing else, it would seem odd to throw away such a lucrative cash cow?
Thu 20/06/02 at 13:21
"Darkness, always"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Does anyone know when Elite4 is due out...
>
> Their site claims Q4 2002... hough they say thats will be the earliest
> release date... Which I'm asuming means it'll be ready when its
> ready?
>
> Does anyone know any solid details?.. have a better estimation?

I know that the site has claimed a Q4 2002 release for over a year, and the amount of detail available on the game hasn't changed since the site went up. I seriously doubt if it's even still in production.

Pity, it would have rocked.
Thu 20/06/02 at 13:16
Regular
Cannon Fodder, it would still be viewed from above but all the scenery would be 3D do you'd have the option of a 3rd person mode if you wanted it.
Thu 20/06/02 at 13:11
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> Clearly, Elite on the PS2, online and everything, would be the best
> thing ever. Ever.

Does anyone know when Elite4 is due out...

Their site claims Q4 2002... hough they say thats will be the earliest release date... Which I'm asuming means it'll be ready when its ready?

Does anyone know any solid details?.. have a better estimation?
Thu 20/06/02 at 12:34
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Give NiGHTS! to Namco or Nintendo and see what they come up with:)
Thu 20/06/02 at 12:24
Regular
Except for the Xbox version, which would be better as it would have support for the Voice Communicator jobby.
Thu 20/06/02 at 12:12
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Clearly, Elite on the PS2, online and everything, would be the best thing ever. Ever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.