GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Er, Audiogalaxy?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/06/02 at 23:47
Regular
I can't get any songs. They're all "copyrighted". No snyde comments please.

Have the courts got to them THIS quickly?
Thu 20/06/02 at 18:14
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
pop
Thu 20/06/02 at 14:36
"slightlyshortertagl"
How about downloading it off websites?
I've found some amazing ones during my time online... I've loaded loads of them, be warned though, DONT IGNORE THE POP-UPS. I know the first reaction to a pop-up is to cloase it but normally they're the ones with all the music on them!!!
Thu 20/06/02 at 14:35
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Go read the thing about marker pens and copyight protection in the movies and music forum...

Basically you can get round copyright protection on cd's by drawing a line on the surface of the cd with a marker pen in the relevant area. However, the US government has just introduced an act that gets medieval on anything that facilitates copyright infringement, targetted at napster-clones basically. So internet groups are now calling for marker pens to be banned for this very reason, to show how stupid the law is :-)

the full article's in the movies forum.
Thu 20/06/02 at 14:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
½pint wrote:
> AG was bound to go down, it was just a matter of time. Saying 'and
> this soon' is quite stupid because its been around for almost 3 years
> now, it only got major within the last half year.

Ah, I said that because SR only reported the RIAA had turned their sights on AG about a month ago. Getting them shut down in this respect was very, very quick.

> And Kazaa isn't very good for downloading music because there are
> never many matches, and search results are limited to 50 (or 100,
> depending on the version you have). Anyway, I also found that AG made
> me buy more CD's - I've now bought most of the Metallica albums and
> loads of Bad Religion and punk stuff.

I agree. I've bought Rhapsody, Iced Earth and Blind Guardian CDs, because AG recommended them to me. Without AG I'd never have bought them. I've EVEN bought CDs of albums that I have completely on MP3 already. Everyone knows MP3 is a lossy format, and I'd never dream of feeding them into my sound system upstairs.

The fact is, that after Napster went down CD sales fell even more, and now AG has died I fear it's going to happen again. When will they learn?
Thu 20/06/02 at 10:04
Regular
I've done it with every CD I have attempted with, and to keep suspicions low, I just go to different stores - theres loads of CD stores in my area.

To be honest though, I only copy the albums that aren't worth keeping, the below average ones that didn't live up to my expectations. The good stuff I keep.
Thu 20/06/02 at 08:51
Your Honour wrote:
> If you don't want to pay for your music, just buy a CD, take it home
> and copy it. Then, just return it to the shop saying you bought it as
> a birthday present for someone, but they already had it.

But you can't KEEP doing that, surely? Also, some are copyright-protected :(
Wed 19/06/02 at 21:51
Regular
"¬_¬"
AG was bound to go down, it was just a matter of time. Saying 'and this soon' is quite stupid because its been around for almost 3 years now, it only got major within the last half year.

And Kazaa isn't very good for downloading music because there are never many matches, and search results are limited to 50 (or 100, depending on the version you have). Anyway, I also found that AG made me buy more CD's - I've now bought most of the Metallica albums and loads of Bad Religion and punk stuff.
Wed 19/06/02 at 21:32
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
Jive wrote:
> Have you tried alternatives?
>
> Kazaa or Winmx are both excellent alternatives to Audiogalaxy.

I have now downloaded winmx due to Audiogalaxy closing but i takes almost twice as long. I would not recommend it.
Wed 19/06/02 at 17:42
Regular
"es argh"
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1877
Tue 18/06/02 at 16:24
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I heard about the spyware in Kazaa when i read .net magazine, safe to say ive steered clear of it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.