GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Would you take a penalty for your country?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/06/02 at 12:12
Regular
I know its easy to sit at home and presume that you would have the guts to take a spot kick for your country if it came to a shoot out. But what would it be like?

I like to think I would stand up and be counted, but I am sure the pressure that I would feel would be overwhelming.

Would you take a penalty?

If so, how would you take it?

Would you try and place it or power it?

Would you take a big run up or just take a couple of steps?

Does anyone take penalties for their own sides?
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:28
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I would take a penalty, wouldn't think about missing or not being one of the 5 not too. I enjoy penalties and taking them.

There was a study done on penalties and players taking them and most of the time if you watch the strikers standing foot it points where the ball is going. Few players don't like the likes of Cantona, LeTissier and the brazilians.
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:28
Insane Bartender wrote:

>a few practice kicks in every training
> session will be enough to get all your players capable of a German
> style top-corner blast.

I am not so sure. I think it's a-lot to do with bottle and keeping a cool head.

Recognised penalty takers often miss. Like Baggio,and Pearce was the penalty taker for Forest when he missed.
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:26
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I don't reckon i'd have the nerve to take one at a stage like the World Cup Quarter Finals, i'd just cack myself and choke as I strike the ball - like what has been proven to have happened with Southgate in '96.

If I could take one, then i'd just try and blast it to the side, letting all my rage and feelings out. And if I scored, it'd be one hell of a celebration for just a shoot-out point!

I'd also rather be one of the first to go rather than a sudden death guy.
I'd feel like I could loose it for England if I was one of the very last, and wouldn't be able to concentrate.
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:23
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
I would go for power in the bottom hand corner.

However i would rather take a penalty kick for the German national side so i could trip pver before I got to the ball, knocking it painfully with my head, sending it at aroun 05. miles and hour over a bobbling surface towards the keeper.
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:22
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
You can never run away from a penalty situation, I would definatly stand and be counted to take a penalty - like the irish boys did, some people often get stick for missing them, but its not easy infront of all the fans, the pressure and the expectancy...

If I were to take one in that kid of situation I would try and concentrate on where Im going to place the ball rather than how the 'pattern' has been going because that would confuse you even more. When I take a penalty, I do it like Van Nistlerooy, try and hit the side net rather than the back net, because this is really hard to save and it works most of the time, with good power, but its hard to master and it has taken me a long time to get it right, some other people try and hit the top corner of the net either side, which again is hard to get, accuracy is the key. David Beckham often hits it down the middle, but because of his accuracy he tends to hit the ball pretty hard low or high and it normally goes in.

But stepping up is a big responsibility and should be appreciated because of that sole factor, and can be the fine line between success and failure just ask Stuart Pearce + Chris Waddle.
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:20
"Darkness, always"
It's not hard to train players to take a spot kick properly. The penalty kick is so close range, a few practice kicks in every training session will be enough to get all your players capable of a German style top-corner blast.

Personally, I would blast it, as I know how to keep a dead ball down at that range, and can still hit it accurately. You only lose your bottle on a penalty if you look at it from the perspective that this is your teams only chance.

Unless everyone else on your team is crap at taking penalties, it's not at all.

I'm stunned that penalty kick training still isn't an integral part of player training. It would only take 20 minutes a day, and would make a world of difference.
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:19
"High polygon count"
I'd be wary of powering it, because there's always the chance of it going high and wide.

My personal strategy would be to hit it straight down the middle, because invariably the keeper will dive to one side.
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I've taken many a penatly for the team I used to play for.

Never missed also.

I place the ball always, but with a long run up.

Never blast it.
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:14
I think that I would try and place it.
Mon 17/06/02 at 12:12
I know its easy to sit at home and presume that you would have the guts to take a spot kick for your country if it came to a shoot out. But what would it be like?

I like to think I would stand up and be counted, but I am sure the pressure that I would feel would be overwhelming.

Would you take a penalty?

If so, how would you take it?

Would you try and place it or power it?

Would you take a big run up or just take a couple of steps?

Does anyone take penalties for their own sides?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.