GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What a rip off!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/06/02 at 12:24
Regular
All this online gaming...is it really worth it? I mean like spending loads on a hard drive and stuff to connect up with. There's no point, if you want multiplayer gaming you should get a multi-tap and invite some mates over. It's not all bad though because you could get new levels and stuff for your games. All I'm saying is that I think that Sony and whoever makes all the rest of the stuff should lower the price of it all so that it is worth buying.
Mon 17/06/02 at 16:46
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Too right Wookiee - the amount of times I have been reading about games coming out etc and then finally you see that next month's mag has a playable demo and then ..... Is that is ? What was that really all about ?

I was just trying to think if I have bought a game because of the demo and I cant really think of any specifically. I did buy (a few years ago now) the Offical PS mag Football special, this was before I had bought a footie game, it had a demo disk with all the current footie games on it and playing them all I chose to buy ISS98 which I think most people will agree was the correct choice !!

Actually I have just remembered a game that I did buy after playing the demo and that was the original Tony Hawk's !! man the demo alone was so addictive...
Mon 17/06/02 at 16:29
"High polygon count"
oasismark wrote:
> Have you ever bought a game purely because of playin a demo?

Yes. After a few 'so-so' reviews, I nearly didn't buy Dropship. But the demo completely convinced me, and I wasn't disappointed.

Conversely, demos can also save you money. The games I wanted but avoided after playing a demo are too numerous to mention!
Mon 17/06/02 at 16:21
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
nh wrote:
> The only other thing that Sony seem to be offering by going online is
> downloadable game demo's but again, to be frank how many of the demo's
> we get are actually worth looking at more than once.
>
> Occasionaly a demo with some playability comes out but most are time
> limited or first level etc and once you visit them you just dont
> return.

Most demos you can get from front of mags anyway?

Have you ever bought a game purely because of playin a demo?
Mon 17/06/02 at 16:17
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
The only other thing that Sony seem to be offering by going online is downloadable game demo's but again, to be frank how many of the demo's we get are actually worth looking at more than once.

Occasionaly a demo with some playability comes out but most are time limited or first level etc and once you visit them you just dont return.
Mon 17/06/02 at 16:11
"High polygon count"
nh wrote:
> Personally I dont think I will spend money on the Modem, Adaptor
> whatever it's called as I sont think I will want to spend the time
> playing online.

Same here!

For me, the purchase of the online adapter and HD will depend on what else Sony offer, apart from online games.

I've had a PC for years, and online gaming has never appealed to me in all that time. So neither the PS2 add-ons or the Xbox's built-in HD/Ethernet are a significant bonus as far as I'm concerned.
Mon 17/06/02 at 16:03
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Vottanator wrote:

>
>
> Ahhhh but it still affects you! FF11 for example ETC...

Silly argument that is Vott...the thing is both of those games are online games, if you want to play them you have to go online, they are not designed as single player games.

Personally I dont think I will spend money on the Modem, Adaptor whatever it's called as I sont think I will want to spend the time playing online. If I want to play multiplayer I prefer to do it with mates in the same room so you can all take the pee out of each other for being crap etc.

Much more fun than playing some faceless person online.
Mon 17/06/02 at 02:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
cipro wrote:
> I doubt I'll get internet for PS2. I already have telewest broadband
> (they call it Blueyonder) for my PC, and It already costs me £25
> a month (£33 for non telewest members).
>
> I think it likely they would charge extra for my PS2 to be connected
> up aswell, and I'm not prepared to spend more money on console
> internet which hasn't even been given a date to go live here yet.

Nope, just plug in the ethernet cable and away you go. You could even plug the ethernet cable into a router feeding into an ethernet hub and have a home network. Or not.
Sun 16/06/02 at 17:57
"High polygon count"
cipro wrote:
> I think it likely they would charge extra for my PS2 to be connected
> up aswell

Unlikely I reckon. They can only charge for the connection - your existing connection will plug straight into your PS2.
Sun 16/06/02 at 17:39
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I doubt I'll get internet for PS2. I already have telewest broadband (they call it Blueyonder) for my PC, and It already costs me £25 a month (£33 for non telewest members).

I think it likely they would charge extra for my PS2 to be connected up aswell, and I'm not prepared to spend more money on console internet which hasn't even been given a date to go live here yet.
Sun 16/06/02 at 17:00
"High polygon count"
Ah, but fortunately for me, I'm not interested in FF11 or PSO!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.