GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 DOWNLOAD TO PLAY PS2 GAMES??"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/03/08 at 11:24
Regular
"This isn,t my dog."
Hello people.I heard from a reliable source the other day (a young chap who works in "Game")that Sony might be bringing out a download for the ps3 (40gb)that will let you play ps2 games.Has anyone else heard this too?
Fri 28/03/08 at 13:28
Regular
"Mooching around"
pb wrote:
> 4 gig would probably be a day or so for me.
>
> I think the average UK speed was last measured at around 2mbps,
> with some people on 8 or more and most on 2 or less.
>
> BT really need to get their act together methinks.

I'm at college at the moment, and I've just speed test.

The results are a bit, well, extreme.

Click Here
Thu 27/03/08 at 10:45
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Exactly. I dont think PS2 downloads are realistic at the moment, especially not while the games and consoles are still being sold in the shops. PS1 is far more likely but as has been said, Nintendo are the only company who seem to be into retro gaming.
Thu 27/03/08 at 10:43
"possibly impossible"
4 gig would probably be a day or so for me.

I think the average UK speed was last measured at around 2mbps, with some people on 8 or more and most on 2 or less.

BT really need to get their act together methinks.
Wed 26/03/08 at 22:59
Regular
"Mooching around"
Nin wrote:
> CHAT2MATT wrote:
> Are you saying the chap in "game" is talking out of
> his
> backside then?
>
> Basically yes. Anyone got an idea how long it'd take to download
> 7GB?

I think they're less than that... I thought they were around 4.3GB last I looked.

A 7GB download for me would take about 4 hours, so it's not too far fetched to imagine a 4.3GB game could be up for download.
Wed 26/03/08 at 18:32
Regular
"This isn,t my dog."
Hi everyone.Just wanted to say thanks to everybody who took the time to either view or reply to my questions.Much appreciated!
Tue 25/03/08 at 19:10
Regular
"This isn,t my dog."
Oh can you play ps1 games on a ps3? Sorry i haven,t actually set up my ps3 yet so i haven,t tried.If so i,ll keep my copy of Resident Evil (classic!)that i,ve got for sale on ebay.
Tue 25/03/08 at 10:33
"possibly impossible"
It would more likely be that each individual game is 'emulated' to work on the PS3 anyway, rather than using a generic emulator.

It seems that 2 of the 3 major console creators think that backward compatibility is out of fashion though, with the current PS3 unable to emulate PS2 and Microsoft halting further production of Xbox backward compatibility.

It seems to be only Nintendo that realise the potential and continue to feed gamers their wonderful back catalogue through the Virtual Console, even planning to add new consoles to the list (Gameboy and Virtual boy anyone?) plus offering 100% compatibility with the Gamecube back catalogue (which is richer than you might think).
Mon 24/03/08 at 20:42
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
The PS3 is fully backward compatible with PS1 games. And there are already some PS1 games available on PSN too.

As we know the 40gig PS3 has no hardware compatibility support for PS2 games. However its been implied (from several sony execs at different times) that sooner or later a software version (downloadable) would be made available. If that day comes, games being available on PSN is a certainty in my opinion. Only a small percentage of PS2 games ever came close to filling a DVD, in fact early stuff was on CD only. And look at Xbox live, there are already "Xbox original"s on there for the 360, they dont consider size much of an issue and their system has a smaller HDD.
Mon 24/03/08 at 19:46
Regular
"Monochromatic"
CHAT2MATT wrote:
> Are you saying the chap in "game" is talking out of his
> backside then?

Basically yes. Anyone got an idea how long it'd take to download 7GB?
The PS1 idea is far more plausable and Sony would do it, Nintendo are already offering retro games for the Wii i believe.
Mon 24/03/08 at 19:36
Regular
"This isn,t my dog."
Sony wouldn,t bother about ps1 games would they?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.