GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TV ads on games - what's up with that?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/06/02 at 09:42
Regular
The ITC have banned the Microsoft 'Life Is Short' Xbox ad, after receiving over 100 complaints from the general public.

The ad featured a newborn baby propelled through a delivery room window at birth, flying over rooftops and fields while slowly ageing, reaching adolescence and adulthood in a matter of seconds, before finally slamming into a grave as an old man. The 20 second ad was banned by the Independent Television Commission (ITC) after receiving 136 complaints from viewers, who described the ad as "offensive, shocking and in bad taste." Microsoft, on the other hand, defended the ad, saying it was "a positive statement about life," and for once, we agree with them.

In a statement, the ITC said that the scream the person emitted while flying through the air "suggested a traumatic experience which, together with the reminder that life is short, made the final scene more shocking," which is surely the point. "Advertisments cannot be avoided by those who are grieving in the way that programmes whose content is flagged in advance can. In that context it's considered that the final scene of a body smashing into its grave was unnecessary and had caused considerable distress to many viewers." So, the best TV games ad ever is banned, because a few Daily Mail readers get a bit uppity. In fact, the Daily Mail ran a double-page spread on the Xbox advertisement and similar ads, with the heading 'How can they justify these sick ads?'.

While it's a shame that the ad has been banned from TV (although it will still appear in cinemas and Microsoft's own marketing plans), it has to be said that games adverts have got steadily more and more bizarre. Take Sony's Third Place oddity, for example. Did that really make you want to buy a PS2, or just strangle David Lynch? While the Life Is Short ad was impressive, it contained no game footage, no pictures of the console - not even a mention of what the Xbox was. Perhaps this move by the ITC is a blessing in disguise, and more companies will start realising that fancy, 'clever' ads are all well and good, but what we really want is some cool game footage, stuff that makes us want to buy the game. Not a duck and a mummy.

Would you agree? Are games ads so far up their own backsides they're doing more harm than good?
Fri 14/06/02 at 19:29
I personaly liked the X-box ad, i thought it was hilarious! I can understand why some people might not like the way the advert portrays how life is short, But its true life is short! I think more adverts should take the form of the x-box adverts, advertise you product, but don't drone on about it, intrest us with flashing colours and purdy pictures.. I tell ya thats what i think sells stuff! I normaly hate watching adverts, because there normal boring and too factual, or they show comeplete fools doing things.. GC adverts are okay, as they show surreal things and have short clips of thier games.. PS2 adverts? i can't even remember seeing any lol! well fro a newbie ive droned on alot.

As for shower gel averts.. well there okay, nothing wrong with a bit of skin :D

Shad
Sat 08/06/02 at 13:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
The music on the GC ads is REALLY beginning to peeve me off now...

I had a look in Woolies yesterday at the GC games, and the only graphics that I thought were as impressive as the adverts seemed to make them were the Roque Leader ones.
Sat 08/06/02 at 12:45
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Dringo wrote:
> The fact is we are all talking about it... worked.

Worked on what level? Some people here think the ad was crap, some thought the ad was good, but I don't think anyone here has said they bought an x-box because of it.
Sat 08/06/02 at 11:29
Regular
the XBOX advert was good but not as good as the advert with all the animals in the jungle dancing.
Sat 08/06/02 at 11:22
PS2 ads are wierd, Xbox ads are annoying, but gamecube ads are ok
Fri 07/06/02 at 23:20
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I thought the PS2 'surreal' ads were stupid, and the Xbox one that was banned was mildly better, but not much. I want a reason to buy a console... an advert which is supposed to be clever, but shows nothing about the console or games isn't a good reason.
Fri 07/06/02 at 20:28
Regular
"I like cheese"
Craw wrote:
> Bring back more shower gel adverts with t!ts in them I say.

They have lots of those in Portugal...during the daytime too! Whoo!

My thoughts on the X-Box ad...dunno, I never seem to have an opinion on anything apart from console wars and religion. Well, I thought the advert was quite funny, and anyone who thinks it's in 'bad taste' takes things too seriously.
Fri 07/06/02 at 20:25
Regular
"um..."
Oh no! that advert has warped my Fragile mind - not - I have to put up with moaners at work. I mean come on it was only 138 people out of millions as someone said.

They don't ban the world cup because about 12 (probably!) people complain there is not enough on tv because it is "all" football.
Fri 07/06/02 at 20:18
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Pffft what a bunch of morons... change the fecking channel or get out more and stop wasting time complaining about things...

136 morons out of millions and they ban it... yet thousands complain about inequality etc and they get ignored.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:59
Regular
The fact is we are all talking about it... worked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.