GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box ad banned"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 23:09
Regular
I was just reading The Mirror this morning (around 7am actually, had to get up early for the World Cup as usual) and I came across a very little headline somewhere in the middle of the paper concerning one of the X-Box's recent advertising campiagns. Here is the column in full:
-------------------------

"X-BOX AD BANNED FROM TV.

Microsoft has been forced to scrap its £1million X-Box TV ad, which shows a man crashing into his own grave. Watchdogs banned it after furious TV viewers branded it "offensive, shocking and in bad taste"

It begins with a woman giving birth to a boy who shoots out of a window in a surreal sequence. He then ages rapidly as he travels through the air screaming before crashing into his own grave as an old man. The commercial ends with the line "Life is short. PLay more"

A woman who lost her baby in childbirth was among the 136 viewers who complained to the Independent Television Commission. Microsoft claimed the ad conveyed a "positive statement about life", but the ITC upheld the complaints and ordered it not to be re-shown. It threw out complaints about the NSPCC ad that features a cartoon boy who bounces back from his dad's violent attacks"
-------------------------

Well there you have it. You do really have to wonder why some people actually bother to complain about certain advertisements in media. It is their choice to view the advert and quite frankly it appears to be very very silly. I bet people who complain are 60+ year olds enjoying their "Kilroys" and "Open evening with Gloria Hunniford". What is the point? Take that woman who lost her baby at birth-she isnt the only one in the world who this has happened to and I am sure that she may have seen other adverts that reminded her of her misfortune and may well have offended her.

Listen, I dont want to sound heartless, but in my opinion this is a perfect example of trying to be big-headed and try and get their 15 minutes of fame.

This, in turn, causes even more problems to the X-Box's already shattered reputation. What consequences this may cause can put the nail in X-Box's coffin. But I must admit that I liked teh advert myself and I do feel a bit sorry for Microsoft there. Discuss....
Sun 09/06/02 at 22:19
Regular
"You Bum!!"
No there isnt, infact. The more complaints the advertisement gets, the more thoroughly the ITC have to look into it. But unless they all agree that the advert contains some offensive or inappropriate materal, they cannot ban it. They may be further influenced by the case study presented by the people who complained, but as far as I know its not about the amount of complaints they get. Its more about the actual features of the advert. This is what I have been told in Media Studies anyway
Sun 09/06/02 at 21:56
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
cipro wrote:
> What I don't get is the ad was banned because 130 odd people
> complained about it. only 130 people!!! I'd understand if half the
> country complained about it, but why ban it for such a small amount?

---

There's some law that says if an advert gets over 100 complaints then it has to be banned.
Sun 09/06/02 at 20:43
Regular
"A man with a stick"
What I don't get is the ad was banned because 130 odd people complained about it. only 130 people!!! I'd understand if half the country complained about it, but why ban it for such a small amount?
Sun 09/06/02 at 20:32
Next they may ban the mag ad the shows a bar of soap covered in brown pubes. Why the ban?? because it is discriminating againt people with ginger pubes....

Maybe.......not, but, people will complain about anything.
Sun 09/06/02 at 19:25
Regular
"A man with a stick"
AfroJoe wrote:
> cipro wrote:
> Why don't microsoft try showing their games anyway instead of getting
> a poncy director to make a ad which makes no sense?
>
> ---
>
> Remember the first PS2 adverts....
>
> ;-)

Oh god yeah, what the hell where they supposed to be about? A guy walks into a room with a duck, himself and someone wrapped in bandages sitting on a sofa! 'welcome to the third place'. Naff, didn't make sense.
Sun 09/06/02 at 19:20
I quite liked the 'Life's Too Short' advert, but Microsoft can do better adverts than that!
Fri 07/06/02 at 21:00
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
cipro wrote:
> Why don't microsoft try showing their games anyway instead of getting a > poncy director to make a ad which makes no sense?

---

Remember the first PS2 adverts....

;-)
Fri 07/06/02 at 18:58
"Life is short".

Especially for this Xbox ad.
Fri 07/06/02 at 10:59
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Couldn't care less whether the ad was banned or not, I thought it was stupid in the first place. Why don't microsoft try showing their games anyway instead of getting a poncy director to make a ad which makes no sense? This surreal tosh is beggining to ware thin now.
Fri 07/06/02 at 10:52
Regular
I thought that ad was very funny. Maybe I'm just sick.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.