GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box ad banned"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 23:09
Regular
I was just reading The Mirror this morning (around 7am actually, had to get up early for the World Cup as usual) and I came across a very little headline somewhere in the middle of the paper concerning one of the X-Box's recent advertising campiagns. Here is the column in full:
-------------------------

"X-BOX AD BANNED FROM TV.

Microsoft has been forced to scrap its £1million X-Box TV ad, which shows a man crashing into his own grave. Watchdogs banned it after furious TV viewers branded it "offensive, shocking and in bad taste"

It begins with a woman giving birth to a boy who shoots out of a window in a surreal sequence. He then ages rapidly as he travels through the air screaming before crashing into his own grave as an old man. The commercial ends with the line "Life is short. PLay more"

A woman who lost her baby in childbirth was among the 136 viewers who complained to the Independent Television Commission. Microsoft claimed the ad conveyed a "positive statement about life", but the ITC upheld the complaints and ordered it not to be re-shown. It threw out complaints about the NSPCC ad that features a cartoon boy who bounces back from his dad's violent attacks"

Well there you have it. You do really have to wonder why some people actually bother to complain about certain advertisements in media. It is their choice to view the advert and quite frankly it appears to be very very silly. I bet people who complain are 60+ year olds enjoying their "Kilroys" and "Open evening with Gloria Hunniford". What is the point? Take that woman who lost her baby at birth-she isnt the only one in the world who this has happened to and I am sure that she may have seen other adverts that reminded her of her misfortune and may well have offended her.

Listen, I dont want to sound heartless, but in my opinion this is a perfect example of trying to be big-headed and try and get their 15 minutes of fame.

This, in turn, causes even more problems to the X-Box's already shattered reputation. What consequences this may cause can put the nail in X-Box's coffin. But I must admit that I liked teh advert myself and I do feel a bit sorry for Microsoft there. Discuss....
Thu 06/06/02 at 23:09
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I was just reading The Mirror this morning (around 7am actually, had to get up early for the World Cup as usual) and I came across a very little headline somewhere in the middle of the paper concerning one of the X-Box's recent advertising campiagns. Here is the column in full:

"X-BOX AD BANNED FROM TV.

Microsoft has been forced to scrap its £1million X-Box TV ad, which shows a man crashing into his own grave. Watchdogs banned it after furious TV viewers branded it "offensive, shocking and in bad taste"

It begins with a woman giving birth to a boy who shoots out of a window in a surreal sequence. He then ages rapidly as he travels through the air screaming before crashing into his own grave as an old man. The commercial ends with the line "Life is short. PLay more"

A woman who lost her baby in childbirth was among the 136 viewers who complained to the Independent Television Commission. Microsoft claimed the ad conveyed a "positive statement about life", but the ITC upheld the complaints and ordered it not to be re-shown. It threw out complaints about the NSPCC ad that features a cartoon boy who bounces back from his dad's violent attacks"

Well there you have it. You do really have to wonder why some people actually bother to complain about certain advertisements in media. It is their choice to view the advert and quite frankly it appears to be very very silly. I bet people who complain are 60+ year olds enjoying their "Kilroys" and "Open evening with Gloria Hunniford". What is the point? Take that woman who lost her baby at birth-she isnt the only one in the world who this has happened to and I am sure that she may have seen other adverts that reminded her of her misfortune and may well have offended her.

Listen, I dont want to sound heartless, but in my opinion this is a perfect example of trying to be big-headed and try and get their 15 minutes of fame.

This, in turn, causes even more problems to the X-Box's already shattered reputation. What consequences this may cause can put the nail in X-Box's coffin. But I must admit that I liked teh advert myself and I do feel a bit sorry for Microsoft there. Discuss....
Thu 06/06/02 at 23:17
Regular
"Bobba you"
I agree it is silly banning that ad I thoguht it was cool.
Thu 06/06/02 at 23:25
Regular
Even though I dont give a toss about Microsoft, this is bloody stupid.

This advert is pretty old though aint it? Saw it quite a few weeks ago so I guess it doesnt make quite that much damage.

And Banning of adverts usually brings more publicity to the company. Which is always good...

The Prodigy seem to get all thier Video's banned these says which makes them much more desirable. Thier new video for "Baby's got a temper" has been banned already.
Thu 06/06/02 at 23:34
"High polygon count"
Triple_H wrote:
> This, in turn, causes even more problems to the X-Box's already
> shattered reputation.

Not sure it'll have much effect personally, but you never know.

I too liked that advert, as it was a bit of fun. I find it utterly ridiculous that anyone could be offended by it.

Okay, so it's a shame that the woman lost her baby, but I fail to see what relevance that has to the advert, as the advert has no reference to the death of a baby. It's about being born, growin old, and dying - and all that in the blink of an eye, which is exactly how life seems as you get older.

People who whinge about such pointless things really, really annoy me. And the TV authorities are just as bad. How many millions of people saw that advert and weren't bothered? And yet ONLY 136 people saw cause to complain.

Do these people have no life? Do they sit watching TV 24/7 like Mary Whitehouse used to, waiting to see something they can write in and complain about? I think they must.

It's a shame we can't round up all these delicate souls and lock them in a dark room somewhere where their delicate minds can't be corrupted. Somewhere with no access to popular media; just bread, water, and some Mills & Boon novels.
Thu 06/06/02 at 23:50
Regular
"You Bum!!"
You are absolutely spot on-I mean, I am not sure if you have ever heard of Barnardos (a childrens charity) and they had some really weird and controversial ads. One portrayed a genuine naked newly-born child with the ambilical cord still attached-That got a few complaints but didnt get banned. I mean it was graphic and more in-bad-taste. SO what kind of justice is this.....

You do have to be pretty sad to complain about all this-when I saw it I didnt even think for a second that this advert could offend anyone within their healthy mind. Pathetic
Thu 06/06/02 at 23:52
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Sorry not Barnardos, Benetton-they sell clothes and staff.Geez I thought I knew my Media Studies stuff....
Fri 07/06/02 at 00:08
"High polygon count"
I remember the Benetton ads well.

I thought at the time: what is bad taste abuot it?

I thought childbirth was supposed to be a "wonderful and natural thing". So what's bad taste? People use camcorders to record the birth of their kids. Some even eat the fried placenta! What the hell was bad taste about a photo of someone else's newboarn kid?
Fri 07/06/02 at 00:16
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I have a solution! Take away their TVs!

If this single advert caused them offence, god knows what else on TV will offend them! The news, a bomb explodes and many people die, will this news item give all those people "bad memories" and cause them to complain? I should hope not!

As someone said, they just want to feel good. Their 15 minutes of fame. They managed to complain and get an advert banned. Whoopdedoo!

There was nothing offensive about that advert! It's true, life does seem to go very fast. And how that advert managed to upset the women who's baby died, is indeed a mystery. That advert is less graphical then any medical programme. BAN CASUALTY!

Sorry, but this really takes the biscuit. One of the only funny adverts too. None of that "do you need a loan?" crap. Or "were you being stupid and careless in your job, and managed to hurt yourself?".

Maybe, just maybe, if all the users of SR got together, we could ban any advert we wanted. There has to be at least 150 of us. And the system is so damn stupid that less than 1% of the popularity can cause an advert to be banned. Now, I don't know about you, but I really don't like the look of those claims direct adverts. Should we ban them?

Some people are so damn selfish! "Ohh. I happen to not like that advert. So, instead of turning the TV channel over when it comes on, I think no one at all should be able to view it! Yeah, that's what I'll do."
Fri 07/06/02 at 00:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Didn't they ban the XBox street paintings in Australia as well?
Fri 07/06/02 at 08:44
Regular
"England skipper"
That is so stupid banning the ad.

I thought it was well funny.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.