GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guestbook Scripts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 22:10
Regular
Don't know how the hell they work but I am thinking you just add them to the html code?!?

Anyway, anyone know where I can find one which looks and works a bit like this one...

http://www.onelinedrawing.com/shareboard/index.asp

You see I want a bit of colour in it, like borders around messages like EXACTLY like the system on this page. Just plain and black and beta looking I don't want, but maybe thats all I'll get?

Cheers,
MWA
Sat 08/06/02 at 22:49
"Uzi Lover"
Nimco, cheers for that.

Do you have MSN?

If so, add me on [email protected] and I'll be on in about 45 mins. If you're not there I'll catch you another time.

Thanks again.
Sat 08/06/02 at 22:24
i can help out if u want. if u design a front end showing how you would like the site to look, i can write u the script that will turn the static page into a PHP guestbook. then it can be exactly as you want it to look, as all I will do is script the backend. i wont be able to do it for about 3 weeks tho (exams) and you might want it before that. just shout if u wanna take me up on this - i wont charge for a fellow SR forummer (new word???)
Sat 08/06/02 at 20:58
"Uzi Lover"
Fog wrote:
> That might be better if we could see something on it.. ;)
> nice site by the way.

See the guestbook?

script here - http://jonroig.com/freecode/ jonboard/jonboard.php.txt

demo's link here - http://jonroig.com/freecode/ jonboard/index.html

(spaces before each jonboard thing)

Thanks for the 'nice site' comment. I like the intro page which starts at aura-online.tk best but all of the site is really in beta stages. Anything you can reccomend to make it better will be much appricated.
Sat 08/06/02 at 20:36
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
That might be better if we could see something on it.. ;)
nice site by the way.
Sat 08/06/02 at 20:20
"Uzi Lover"
I *think* i've found a script I want to use, but just edit the colours a bit. I can do that easily just by editing parts of the scripts that show the colour codes right?

But now, I have the script yet how does php work on html webpages. I want the script to appear on this page under the auraboard heading www.monkeydude.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/auraboard.html

How would I go about that?

I don't get any of this php stuff...
Sat 08/06/02 at 13:13
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
For what its worth, my bulletin board (for a local swimming club) is at

http://www.bssc.ukswimmers.com/news.php

You'll see that it's low volume stuff ... and like I said, the messages don't appear on the board until someone with the right level of access has a chance to review and approve. That's done via a separate set of scripts/pages accessible only to those who know how.

Looking at blueyonder's pages, they don't appear to offer any server-side scripting language. What they do (like some others) is to provide some pre-built cgi scripts that you can hook into (e.g. discussion board, hit counter, visitor book ...), but I can't tell for sure how customisable they are in terms of look/layout.

If you can get php or similar, then I really do recommend starting off with a script from one of the libraries that cjh mentioned. You can usually fairly easily tweak them to be what you want. You've to watch out for ones that require MySQL, cos not all ISPs offer that, either. My script (based on a hotscripts download) uses text files only.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:42
"Uzi Lover"
doc693 wrote:
> So you first need an ISP that offers php or a similar server-side
> language. I could send you all the scripts for my bulletin board, but
> I'm not sure its worth doing that if you have no access to php.

I'm hosting my website on blueyonders servers, I'm not quite sure if they do php or not? Anyone know?

Whats the URL of your board? i'll take a look :-)

Heh, that 'king' sounds like a really nice guy. I never take part in that board the convosation is always changing, so i can't keep up.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:08
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Hmm. I just took another look at that board, and maybe I'm getting old, but what the hell are they on about? Too many animals involved for my liking.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:06
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
I've just had a look at "that site", and if you look at some of the submissions, you'll see some of the problems doing a visitor book / bulletin board. "King" is a particularly friendly sort of user, eh?

Making it cosmetically look like that is in fact the easy bit, cos it can be done with tables and backgound colours.

The reason people use (e.g.) hotscripts.com is that there are scripts that have the facility to edit/approve the stuff that people tend to type in when they're drunk and its late. Or else they're just made that way. I built my own visitor book some time ago, and literally the first person to use it was apparently only able to use words with 4 letters.

So you first need an ISP that offers php or a similar server-side language. I could send you all the scripts for my bulletin board, but I'm not sure its worth doing that if you have no access to php.

You can't do this stuff with html alone.
Fri 07/06/02 at 18:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Are you good with animations Monkey?????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.