GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Hit Counter"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/06/02 at 22:34
Regular
Are you sure there hasn't been a problem with Freeola Servers? The hit counters on two of the sites I have designed both reset to 0 around the 29th May.
Wed 05/06/02 at 22:34
Are you sure there hasn't been a problem with Freeola Servers? The hit counters on two of the sites I have designed both reset to 0 around the 29th May.
Wed 05/06/02 at 23:07
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Where is the file that keeps the data stored???
Wed 05/06/02 at 23:37
a subfolder off the main site (e.g. 1 level down) in a file called counter.txt
Wed 05/06/02 at 23:41
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've never had this problem with my sites. I keep my 'Hits.dat' file in a Folder in the 'Root', as in next to the htdocs folder, not in it. I have a Folder called 'Files' where the 'cgi-shi' and 'htdocs' folder is, and its stuck in there.

Have you used the Exact code Freeola provided??? 'cus I cut a load out as some it it was a bit pointless.
Wed 05/06/02 at 23:46
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
$images = "Images/Counter";
#$hitsfile = "/freeola/users/0/0/sr0000000/Files/Hits.dat";
$hitsfile = "Hidden_Files/Hits.dat";

if(file_exists($hitsfile) == TRUE) {
$hits = file($hitsfile);
$hits = $hits[0] + 1;
} else {
$hits = 1;
}

$fp = fopen($hitsfile, "w");
$hits = trim($hits);
fwrite($fp, $hits);

if ($counterstyle == "text") {
print "$hits";
} else {
$digit = strval($hits);
for ($i = 0; $i < strlen($hits); $i++) {
print "\"$hits\"";
}
}
?>

------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

That is the code I've got. I have zero'd out my User ID for obvious reasons.
Wed 05/06/02 at 23:47
cjh wrote:
> Have you used the Exact code Freeola provided??? 'cus I cut a load out
> as some it it was a bit pointless.

I didn't use the Freeola code at all. I coded it all myself, and it's ben working for the last 4500 hits. Hit counters on 2 different sites, using 2 different pieces of codee both reset to zero on 29th May. Fortunately I also track user stats, so I can simply count the number of hits from the user logs to rebuild the counter file - its just annoying, thats all...
Wed 05/06/02 at 23:51
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
hhhhmmm, has it happened since???

Maybe just one of the Servers (the one your sites are on) just went a little wrong for a second. Have you got it coded so if it can't fine the hits file that it is to create a new one??? Might be that just that once the Server was playing up, didn't fine the file and created a new, blank one.
Wed 05/06/02 at 23:57
but the stats files, which are written at the same time by the same piece of code, remained intact. im lost. any freeola employees know anything about this - i can try to pinpoint an exact time and date if u want...
Thu 06/06/02 at 00:07
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Is it on the Same File, the stats and hits???
Thu 06/06/02 at 00:13
cjh wrote:
> Is it on the Same File, the stats and hits???

nope, the hits file is called counter.txt, and the stats file is called stats.txt

I also have other count files to count hits on other pages, but these didnt get reset! now im really confused....

(btw, i know i could combine all these files into a single string-separated file, but i didnt know how to when i created the site, and I can't be arsed now...)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.