GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Without Sega"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/06/02 at 20:35
Regular
Can you imagine what life would be like today if Sega had never existed??

The Gaming World as we know it just simply wouldn't be!
If you look at what Sega have done and given us over the years then you'll soon see how crucial their influence has been all games we have played and enjoyed for the last decade or so.

When you think of Sega, you immediatly think of one thing: Sonic the Hedgehog. And along with the name of the spikey blue one come the likes of Tails Miles Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, and Dr. Robotnik (aka. Eggman). Many other names also come to mind, but it's the speedy blue hedgehog himself that's helped the name 'Sega' grow and grow, up untill it's reputation of today.

If you've played just one Sonic game then it has to have been a Sonic one!
Wether it was one of his earlier appearences on the Master System, Mega Drive, or even the GameGear, you'll have experienced first-hand what true innovation is all about.
With character after character to soon join Sonic on his new and exciting adventures, the series has been growing strong for a long while now - almost as long as long-term rivals Nintendo's mascot Mario has been in the Games Industry himself.
Sonic has been the one character who has come closest to steeling Mario's head-butting thunder, but Sonic isn't quite ALL of what Sega are all about.

Aswell as a whole room-full of Sonic games, Sega have given us (the gamers) titles a-plenty for us to drool over on a Sega console. Back in the early days Streets of Rage was one of the greatest games around - and many today feel that nothing has come close to this game ever since!
Toe Jam and Earl is another short-series of top-titles from Sega's early days that still live strong in the memories of gamers today.
In the more recent years we've seen sims like Virtua Fighter and Virtua Soccer, aswell as the highly succesfull Crazy Taxi and Shenmue games, and also Super Monkey Ball on the GameCube.
What more could ANYONE have to offer us!! We couldn't have asked for any more!
Not even the long-lasting familly-favourites Nintendo have come up with so many original titles on such a frequent and regular basis!

That's enough on the games front, as yet again, there is still a lot more that Sega have introduced to the Gaming World from an early age. The SNES vs. Mega Drive battle is known today as the 'Golden Age' of Gaming - a time for gamers that really showed us what the Gaming World was all about!
Again, Sega played a huge part in making this such a succesfull time, mainly thanks to the new and original ideas that Yuji Naka introduced first - and not in his games!
The Mega Drive's CD-on the 'Mega CD' made Sega the first company to have produced a console that makes use of Compact Discs for playing games. This was something Nintendo tried to do, but failed.
We all love the fact that Analogue Sticks have replaced D-pads, making controlling your characters a lot easier. Well, you can thank Naka and Sega for that - the idea probably had something to do with Sega's big reputation in the Arcade Market, and they wanted to have a similar effect in the Console Market.
That was with the 'dropped-dead' Saturn, and yet again, Sega had another first with their final console addition in the Dreamcast. Not only was it the first 128-bit console on the market, but it was the first to go fully on-line - with the Phantasy Star games becoming massive! But for one reason or another, the £200 next-gen. console failed under the power of the Sony PlayStation.
And if you look at that winning console, you may also notice that they've nicked on or two of Sega's firsts! And incase I haven't already said enough to keep you amused, Sega have proven to be the first company to really pose as a threat to Nintendo's GameBoys with the GameGear.

So, where are Sega today???
Unfortunately, Naka and co. have put and end to all console developments - so we won't be seeing a future console from Nintendo's biggest all-time rivals ever again.
As said as it sounds, this isn't neccesarily the end of the world for Sega and their fans.
They've decided to keep-on doing what thye've done best over the years, and keep-on bringing out the games that'll keep us gamers happy, and so we won't have a big gaping whole left by the big S.
On the likes of the X-box, PS2, and GameCube you'll soon be able to expect the likes of Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Tennis, and even Toe Jam and Earl!
All these games and more - and not just updates of the classics - all new adventures will be available!

Although many are said to see them go, they're still there - and not just in our hearts.
Yuji Naka is also adding the final touches to his own GameCube Keyboard for playing Dreamcast ports like the Phantasy Star games on-line. Looks like Nintendo and Sega have 'burried the hatchet' then!
Can you blame Mr. Miyamoto?? If a company like Sega are offering their services to anyone, then they're assistance is something you cannot succeed without!

Just think about the situation the Gaming World would be in if Sega had never been started by Yuji Naka all those years ago. They're not just about great games, it's the innovation and originallity that comes with their name!

Things just wouldn't be the same without them, and it'll all be 'GameOver' if they ever do decide to call it a day - FULL STOP! There's no-one around today that could ever replace them - not even Nintendo!

Remember: "It takes Ages to be Sega" - and we could never wait that long!
Sat 08/06/02 at 17:32
Regular
You won GAD in the Sega forum. Wonders will never cease.
Fri 07/06/02 at 16:59
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Thanks. :)

And I really do think it's too late for Sega to come up with a new console anyway! If they were to make a new one then we wouldn't see it untill the following Console War has begun.
Thu 06/06/02 at 21:29
Regular
Congratulations on the GAD, and in the SEGA forum as well - about time. Well done.
Thu 06/06/02 at 20:01
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> Cool, I won!
> Thanks SR! :D
>
> I'm gunna start claiming some Dreamcast games now, mainly cuz I want
> to get the console this summer, and I already have 3 GC games to play,
> but the console hasn't arrived.
>
> I spose that they could possibly make a new console one day in the
> future, but that could be a very long time into the future - and Yuki
> Naka cannot live forever - he doesn't have Lives and Continues like
> Sonic.
>
> I doubt that someone like his son would be able to keep the company
> going so well, and I also doubt he'd have such similar ideas for games
> and other SEGA products.

If a small meteorite only large enough to destroy a few buildings hits Sony HQ, and a fragment hits Nintendo HQ, then yea ok Sega might make another console.
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:01
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Cool, I won!
Thanks SR! :D

I'm gunna start claiming some Dreamcast games now, mainly cuz I want to get the console this summer, and I already have 3 GC games to play, but the console hasn't arrived.

I spose that they could possibly make a new console one day in the future, but that could be a very long time into the future - and Yuki Naka cannot live forever - he doesn't have Lives and Continues like Sonic.

I doubt that someone like his son would be able to keep the company going so well, and I also doubt he'd have such similar ideas for games and other SEGA products.
Thu 06/06/02 at 12:06
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
My Mistake! I always get mixed up with names!!!!!

I did mean SEGA Saturn that failed!
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:08
Regular
Console_kid wrote:
> We cant be suire what will happen...... But I reckon SEGA will make
> another console..... computer video games like TV's are things that
> will go on forever especially as technology improves and wont go out
> of fashion, and to say SEGA will never ever make another console is a
> pretty bold statement, they said they would not be making any more
> consoles after Genesis failed!!

The Genesis didn't fail. It was the most popular console in Europe, and was only just behind the SNES in the US and Japan, though of course it was known as the Mega Drive here.

Although maybe you are talking about the Saturn?
Wed 05/06/02 at 21:38
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
We cant be suire what will happen...... But I reckon SEGA will make another console..... computer video games like TV's are things that will go on forever especially as technology improves and wont go out of fashion, and to say SEGA will never ever make another console is a pretty bold statement, they said they would not be making any more consoles after Genesis failed!!

Its not going to be soon we all know that, but one day I reckon SEGA will make another console, to say they wont EVER again is unlikely.
Wed 05/06/02 at 20:51
Regular
Console_kid wrote:
> A handheld from SEGA would be great, playing all the 16bit classics
> will be great..... but it wont happen

Sega released a 16-bit handheld in the states that played Mega Drive games. It was called the Mega Gear. It flopped.
Wed 05/06/02 at 16:11
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Unfortunately Sega aren't gunna be making any more consoles - and we all know that and have to finally accept it.

They're just gunna stick to producing the multi-format games, the Triforce Arcade system with Nintendo, and more multi-format periphals like the GameCube Keyboard.

That Yuji Naka is one hell of a genious!
Maybe he's just running out of ideas after the Dreamcast shock.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.